Close

Default 1980 turbo rs capri...is this car rare

I have the opportunity to trade off my 89 lx notch for a 1980 turbo rs capri. I was wondering if these cars were rare. I never see them where im from and i already have a 88 gt so my notch is just sitting waiting to be fixed up. Guy doesnt have time and wants the person he sells it to to fix it up. Im going to go look at this car on saturday but i am new to the capri and dont know a whole lot about the car.

1980 body code 14 w/ 2.3T = 5,628*

*Statistic courtesy of Marti Auto Works

All 1980 Capri [base], Capri RS, and Capri Turbo RS were body code 14, and the 2.3T engine was available in all 1980 Capri models, so it is not know at this time how many of those 5628 were Turbo RS.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

So it could be a good car to grab

Its sweet but to trade the. coupe...ehhhhh is your coupe a 5.0? Compare the condition of the two? Is this capri a trus rs turbo or as mick stated it could be a capri with a turbo motor? Do your have door tag pic?

Any Capri is worth grabbing, coming from a guy who has 2 already..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

I will be looking at it Saturday guy said it still has all the turbo badges as well as the rs badges inside....he took the engine and tranny out of it and was gonna put in a 5.0 5 speed and my notch that I have is a roller as well with a built rearend

What engine did your notch originally come with? If it's an original V8 notch than that will be the car to keep. Even if you no longer have the original engine, if it's an original V8 car it's more desirable than the turbo Capri. As Much as I like Capri's they are the equivalent of the Cougar from the 1960's. They will always have a following and a low mileage, museum quality example will be worth some money, but overall they just don't have the same desirability (or value) that the Mustang does..and aero notches are about the most popular fox Mustang around (excluding Saleens and 93 Cobras).

Now if your car is an original four cylinder notch that changes things. Four cylinder notches are also very popular but only as V8 conversion cars. I think I would go with the Capri in that situation because, like you said, you already have a Mustang and a turbo Capri is a pretty unique car. I wouldn't do a V8 conversion to the Capri, I would put the original drivetrain back in and just enjoy it (maybe hop it up a bit and do some suspension work).

If you're wanting the rarer of the two then go with the Capri. Just remember rare doesn't always mean desirable or more valuable. Notchback mustangs are very desirable, but it might not be as rare. You just have to decide which is more important to you..rarity or desirability.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

My notch is a 89 Lx origional 4 cylinder five speed and it has been stripped down and needs a lot of love. It has drag springs with bag, southside machine lowers and adjustable upper control arms, new floor pans, new trunk, new bumper, but no interior and has had some body work. The guy that had it before me cut the engine harness because he was going carb. I took the car on trade and dojt have a lot in it. It does have perfect strut towers and torque boxes. Would make a nice one to fix up but needs alotnof love.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well with that being the case, I would go after the Capri. I think having and building one of those would be more fun in the end. I would go with a turbo four for it, with a 4 or 5 speed. Put a bunch of Maximum Motorsports suspension items on her and drive the wheels off it.

A turbo Capri is much more interesting and fun imo.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

That's what im thinking as well never even seen one around where I live so it would be nice to be different.

If this Turbo RS is an auto you can consider it rare. That was a 1980 only option (the only year an auto behind the turbo was available) and it does not seem to have been chosen much. I don't have any confirmed production numbers for the manual versus the auto, only the data that's in my database.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

This one was actually a four speed manual car

I'd go for the Capri, of course I may be a little biased.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4