Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you everyone for all of their input. Information is power! I picked these little numbers up in the last few days.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  84.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  71.4 KB
    1985 four barrel and intake with the dual snorkel air cleaner(complete and intact)
    A complete 1985 exhaust from the tubular headers to tail pipes.

So this is my inventory to date:
    '97 explorer GT40 heads
    1985 headers with heat risers
    1985 Y-pipe
    Motorcraft/Holley four barrel
    Future purchases:
    Performer intake (non egr as I have no smog)
    Better valve springs for my heads
    My plan is to remove the cat from the Y-pipe and hopefully bolt it up to my existing single exhaust but that is still up for heated discussion.

Does this sound like a good combination of stuff to smarten up my GT? Does anyone have any thoughts? Am I going down the garden path or am I on the right track?

I think that going with a true dual exhaust system would be best if you plan on upgrading the heads, intake, and carb.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Do you think the '85 y-pipe will actually choke the improvements and create drivability issues or is it just not ideal? I kind of really want to keep it looking as stock as possible. Plus I'm balking at getting a double hump trans mount, X-pipe to fit the headers, rear brake hose relocation thing, etc. etc. Am I being just stubborn and unrealistic in my expectations?

I was thinking that the stock or 85 exhaust would choke those other improvements, but how much...I don't know? A free flowing exhaust is typically the first power mod everyone suggests, and that's when the engine is stock. With your other upgrades I would think that exhaust would be even more important, to be able to take full advantage. Maybe not though? I'd like to hear from someone with more experience...I'm more of a cruisin kind of guy, rather than a power person so I might not be the best person to chime in. I just know that you always hear about free flowing exhausts as being important, especially if you plan on doing any kind of head and intake upgrades.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

The Y portion of the exhaust might indeed be a choke point, but I think that car would have to make quite a bit more power anyway. You can always get a custom H or X pipe made later, to connect your '85 headers to the '85 catback. Or an aftermarket piece could be relatively easily modified to fit. The double hump crossmembers aren't too expensive.

If no EGR, then you could use the Performer RPM. I think it makes more power than the Performer. Like I said before, I put an RPM in place of a stock '85 intake, and felt a lot more torque. That car had single exhaust too.

Anyone think that the RPM would be overkill?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Bruce, if you truly want to keep a more stock look you could have an exhaust shop build you a larger diameter single tip system.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

That had crossed my mind............ $$$$ The outlet on the single end of the Y-pipe is 2.5" then it steps down to 2" right away, goes to a single for a bit then branches back out to two muffled tail pipes. All the weight gain and complexity of a dual exhaust WITHOUT that pesky performance gain! LOL!
    So far I haven't spent a lot of money. I'm thinking that I will have to spend real money on a new intake. Used ones are never up on Kijiji in this area. Then there would be real money on the exhaust and the valve springs/head machining. Still, I'm hoping to be all in at under $1,000.00 by the time it all shakes out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12