Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default ok, who can't stand the new ECO gas cans

I have been living in a condo for the last few years. Now that we have moved I had to buy a new lawnmower and gas can.

I had no idea the government made this change for the spout.

I am excited about cutting my grass tomorrow but got to looking at this new spout and not really excited on this. Weird!

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

I hate the fact that they cost 10 times what they used to! And some of those stupid things I can't ever seem to get them to work the way they're supposed to.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I still have all my old gas cans and I was able to find a regular replacement spout at Tractor Supply for one of them that actually cracked. Unfortunately I don't think it will fit the new cans, as I believe they changed the thread pattern just for that reason. Either way I have had to use the new ones at work a couple of times and they are a complete PITA! So as usual it's our Government screwing things up that didn't need to be. Hell I spill more gas with the new ones than ever could have leaked out / evaporated out with the old cans.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I hate the fact that they cost 10 times what they used to! And some of those stupid things I can't ever seem to get them to work the way they're supposed to.
    I know right. I was like you want how much for this! I told my wife man these things have gone up!

I gave my last gas can to my nephew. I had no idea this was going on
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I still have all my old gas cans and I was able to find a regular replacement spout at Tractor Supply for one of them that actually cracked. Unfortunately I don't think it will fit the new cans, as I believe they changed the thread pattern just for that reason. Either way I have had to use the new ones at work a couple of times and they are a complete PITA! So as usual it's our Government screwing things up that didn't need to be. Hell I spill more gas with the new ones than ever could have leaked out / evaporated out with the old cans.

Trey
    I had to look up on youtube how to use the stupid thing, lol
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Love that GovCo!!
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

i like the modern cans. starts pouring when i jam it in the mower, stops pouring when i take it out. very convenient.

another good thing about them is that when the squirrels chew the end off, they still seal properly. kinda makes me wish i had a pointy spring loaded chew resistant cap for my mower.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

Quote Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
    i like the modern cans. starts pouring when i jam it in the mower, stops pouring when i take it out. very convenient.

another good thing about them is that when the squirrels chew the end off, they still seal properly. kinda makes me wish i had a pointy spring loaded chew resistant cap for my mower.
    Squirrels in your neck of the woods must be Gearheads to want to get to fuel that bad!
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Hate 'em, hate em. Tore out the whole valve assembly and now I have a can that works.

FEP Supporter

Default ok, who can't stand the new ECO gas cans

My dad is a small town/farmer guy. He goes to auctions here and there and bought some "good" (older) style gas cans recently (like he really needed them ) "because you can't get them like that anymore". Maybe that's what he meant.

I don't recall seeing the type you posted about around here but I haven't been in the market to get one myself.
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 04-18-2015 at 08:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Hate them, hate them, hate them!! I guess I am going to have to go to youtube to figure out how they work. I treasure the hold ones- take the cap off and pour- like it should be.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

I'm not in love with them, that's for sure. Once you figure it out...great. Even then, I still don't love them. I also don't get why they're so bloody expensive. I might have to check out the YouTube video, but I really do miss the nice, simple, original metal.gas cans.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by ruffi View Post
    hate 'em, hate em. Tore out the whole valve assembly and now i have a can that works.
    ftw!!!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Got one a couple years ago and fought with the damn thing the few times I went to use it. The stupid things are expensive because the nozzle is packed full of springs, levers, O-rings and other garbage intended to automatically close the nozzle when the can isn't in use. Ripped most of the guts out of the nozzle and it's sorta better but still garbage.

There's a booming business on Ebay selling the old traditional Blitz type cans and nozzles, vents, etc. Out of the five cans laying around the shop, none have nozzles that will thread on the new can.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2.3Mustang View Post
    Got one a couple years ago and fought with the damn thing the few times I went to use it. The stupid things are expensive because the nozzle is packed full of springs, levers, O-rings and other garbage intended to automatically close the nozzle when the can isn't in use. Ripped most of the guts out of the nozzle and it's sorta better but still garbage.

There's a booming business on Ebay selling the old traditional Blitz type cans and nozzles, vents, etc. Out of the five cans laying around the shop, none have nozzles that will thread on the new can.
    First time I used one of those cans many years ago, I thought to myself that the Ebay business you describe would be booming
    not to soon off. Another missed opportunity. Would love to get a new spout for one of old 5 galloners that is covered with 3 rolls of electrical tape.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Hate them hard to use on some cars ended up taking spout off and using funnel.

I freaking HATE them. Fortunately I have 2 old style ones but I have one of the newer ones for my weed trimmer and chainsaw. It sucks. I usually just take the whole spout off and use a funnel.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I've seen videos detailing how to modify the new cans by gutting the spout and installing a tire valve as a vent. It says something about the usefulness of the new cans that such steps are being taken. I can't say I know anybody who has the new cans and likes them. Lucky for me I had enough old style cans on hand to not have to deal with the new ones.

I take that back, I did buy one new can recently. I wanted one I could get fuel for my Mustang without driving it to the gas station if I had the slicks on it, so I bought one of these:

Might be a solution to those wanting to avoid dealing with the new cans.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

We have the metal cans on the jobsite, they won't allow plastic, OSHA rule I think. They have some kind of double action spring loaded release on the lid for the spout and the spout is only 2-3" long. Almost impossible to fill a chop saw without spilling. Stupid stupid stupid.
    Name:  osha gas can.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  23.3 KB

All the new environmentally friendly spouts I have have already broken and won't seal so they spill gas... It is cheaper to buy a new gas can than replace the stupid spout. I ended up just buying a couple caps that fits and use a funnel.

The whole point is to punish those of us who use gasoline.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I had the spring & guts pop out and end up in the gas tank of my snow blower. That was not fun trying to retrieve them. Stupid design.
    Andy G.
    1986 Mustang GT vert, 2R, original owner, 5 spd, 19k miles
    1986 Mustang SVO, 1C, comp prep, 3rd owner, 48k miles
    1989 Ranger GT -SOLD-
    2004 T-Bird, triple black, SST

The solution is to vote for people who are actually knowledgeable about more things than just being elected. Until we get to that point we will continue to get more laws that fix problems that don't exist instead of focusing on real issues for real problems.

Here's the easy solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181165742710...710%26_rdc%3D1

Part of it is regulation, but the main component is cheap shoddy construction.

If these regulations had been imposed before the '70s or so, we would've designed and manufactured fume-proof (or leak-proof or whatever they're trying to accomplish) gas cans which worked well - some of which would still survive today.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    whatever they're trying to accomplish
    That's my point. People will pay to solve their problem, and since companies like to make money, they will respond by providing a solution by making something that works. Since this was just forced by law and not driven by a need, we get the half-baked solution just to comply with law.

If someone is storing gasoline long enough to have to worry about it evaporating out of a gas can... the gas has probably gone bad anyway. When I tried finding a replacement for my broken environmentally friendly spout, I actually found out it is illegal to transport gasoline in a gas can over a certain amount. The exact amount was something crazy like one gallon. Over that amount, supposedly a vehicle needs to have DOT Hazmat placards to be legal.

I doubt before the 70's anyone would have been stupid enough to make laws that required you to get a CDL, certified to transport Hazmat materials, and place placards on your vehicle just to go to a gas station to get a couple gallons of gas to mow the lawn. Of course this isn't enforced because it doesn't make any sense, so why even make laws that don't make sense just to be ignored?

When we get to pick and choose what laws we have to follow, laws kind of lose their purpose. Since laws without a purpose are being made, I say politicians have lost their purpose when they create junk like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast