Close

Default Reproduction Mesh Wheel Center Caps - Any Interest?

If I could have a few sets of these made in the right size and dimensions, would anyone here be interested? I could potentially do different style logos, ENKEI, ARE, Riken, or no logo at all. How much would you be willing to pay?

I'm designing these caps to slip in from the back of the rim and do a flange mount rather than the original style that used tabs. Mine would pop off all of the time, and now I'm down to two. I can't find real ones in the right size, the repro's that I own aren't available any more, and I don't think the new 92 center caps will fit my original wheels. Might get a couple prototypes made up if possible.

Keep in mind, this is just a quick design I did, and it's not perfectly dimensioned yet. It's just to give an idea of what the final product could look like.

Name:  Enkei Center Cap.png
Views: 253
Size:  95.8 KB
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

FEP Power Member

I'm interested..
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

I'd be interested too.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I would be interested in them also, if they are the correct size to fit my wheels.

Cool, some interest! The bore on my wheels is approximately 2.75". What size are yours? I'm finding some conflicting info about various wheels, so it'd be good to know if I'd have to get various sizes made.

I have sent out requests for quotes from a few 3D printing places here in Montreal. I may contact a plastic extrusion company as well, but tooling costs might be quite high.

I'm thinking that around $50-60 US is what I'd be willing to pay for a set. Does that seem about right?
    Last edited by bridgener; 04-18-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by bridgener View Post
    Cool, some interest! The bore on my wheels is approximately 2.75". What size are yours? I'm finding some conflicting info about various wheels, so it'd be good to know if I'd have to get various sizes made.

I have sent out requests for quotes from a few 3D printing places here in Montreal. I may contact a plastic extrusion company as well, but tooling costs might be quite high.

I'm thinking that around $50-60 US is what I'd be willing to pay for a set. Does that seem about right?
    Sounds like a deal to me.. Put me down for a set.
    I'll get some measurements of my wheels and post them up.

FEP Power Member

Alright.. here you go. Got these with my trusty Harbor Freight micrometer.

15" mesh "Enkei" wheel (bare, no paint)
    2.7..500"

16" powder coated black "ARE" mesh wheel.
    2.7..370"

I'm guessing the difference in width is due to the extra paint. Hope this helps

Mine is also aprox 2 3/4"
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Yes, that's great! Looking like at least the ones intended for our cars must be 2.75 (approximately).

The problem is now a question of finding a 3D printing company that won't charge an arm and a leg. I got a quote from one place, they wanted 475$ for 8 of them. For what I know would be a minimal setup time and maybe 2 hours of printing time, I'm not sure if that's the best I can get.

At that price, it's worth investigating plastic extrusion... I'd imagine that 20 sets would cost me a pretty penny via rapid prototype. Anyway, I'm in the middle of final exams right now, so this project will have to wait a couple weeks. I'll post back with more info as this progresses!
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L

Be careful of copyright and trademark infringement litigation IF you make then with an Enkei or any other logo as I sure you have not thought about asking for a licensing agreement!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Be careful of copyright and trademark infringement litigation IF you make then with an Enkei or any other logo as I sure you have not thought about asking for a licensing agreement!
    That is a good point and duly noted. Initially, this little project was just for me. I basically did the CAD model for kicks. If this does go any further and I make some sets in volume, I will definitely remove any logos before proceeding. Can't guarantee I won't make a bootleg ENKEI logo set for myself though!
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L

My guess is that Enkie has better things to do than troll an 80's Mustang site looking for people making bootleg center caps. Unless you're selling hundreds of sets all over the net, I think you'll be ok.

I would be interested in a set of caps btw. I have no idea who made my wheels though, so I don't know if my hole size is the same as what you're wanting to make?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

You would be surprised at how vigorously many companies will defend their trademarks and copyrights.

The "Big"guys know better. It's the "Little" guys that usually end up the target of copyright & trademark infringement litigation.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    My guess is that Enkie has better things to do than troll an 80's Mustang site looking for people making bootleg center caps. Unless you're selling hundreds of sets all over the net, I think you'll be ok.

I would be interested in a set of caps btw. I have no idea who made my wheels though, so I don't know if my hole size is the same as what you're wanting to make?
    Honestly, if I were to sell these on eBay or something like that, I would leave their logo off of it. Like you said though, a couple of sets here and there won't do much and will most definitely go unnoticed. I do know that a lot of people are selling unlicensed enkei center cap decals on eBay without issue.

If you took the center cap diameter measurement off of one of your wheels, I'd really appreciate it! If anything, it'd just confirm that other wheel brands used the same design/diameter for our cars.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L

Here you go:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Any updates on the center caps. I bought a set of 15" Enkei's and only 2 caps where available so I need 2. please post any updates as I am interested