Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
    I have found some of the ends that were color coded,and identified them.
    I have a 79 Mustang schematic and one for the 78 Fmont for the dash swap.
    I understand that is pretty much straight fwd.

What are you up to these days?

There are some real nice cars going up for sale.
    Just parenting. I'm on my own this weekend. I might be able to tear into the brake system next weekend though. It's been warm lately, but I've had no time.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member

Sorry about this Rant. Just finished my 79 mustang inst cluster,all clean, new lights and ready to go, almost. Pulled the fmont inst cluster and there is only 1 electrical hook up instead of 2.

My turn signals and hazard lights come on and head lights flash. H/L flash when turn signal is on.
    Thought I had that figured out replace turn signal sw. I did that and same problem. Another wall hanger.

Here is the question, could I replace the wiring harness for under the dash and hood with a mustang? Same yr as the inst cluster.
    That might solve the 2 connector for the cluster if it would work. In my simple mind it would . Let's hear from some one more experienced.

This is wearing on an old man and becoming frustrating.

thanks in advance for any and all help.

jim
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Yeah, you know it might not be so dumb to grab the entire body/chassis/underhood harness from a Mustang with that dash/cluster. It would help if it was a V8 car too. That way, you just bypass the whole mess that is your current wiring. As far as the chassis goes, almost everything plugs right in. When I put a '90 harness in my car, I had to change connectors for the wipers and exterior lights, but if you get a Mustang harness from around the same time as your car was built, you might not even have to do THAT much! And the Fairmont being a longer car doesn't even play into it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Thanks Brad that is what I was wanting to hear.
    I'll put the shot gun away.
    Now to find one that has the 4 inst, from 79.

FEP Senior Member

I'v seen that but am hoping that the harness would cure my light problem also.
    Can't get it to open now.

Thanks.

FEP Senior Member

Well just got bak from the hosp .Not really.I do have several cuts from removing my dash.

I have done this one time before but I was 30 yrs younger. I am waiting on a wiring harness from a 79 mustang so I can install that inst cluster.

If I could get one I would replace the eng harness also. Might try for one.

My dash has several cracks. I'm thinking gorilla glue on the back side. What say you?

My wife swears by gorilla glue. I don't have much experience with it myself though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

I've had a bit of experience with it. It's strong.

I really admire those of you who have done dash swaps. Esp the 88 up dash. That must be killer. I wanted one in mine and have one, but it's too much for me. I just want to drive mine. Had I to do it over I would have bought one nearly finished.

you don't want that though. you don't know what mistakes the previous guy made lurking for you to find later, haha.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Cleaned the dash and went after the cracks with superglue. It's all holding together.
    Now I'm going to put gorilla glue on the backside..
    I used gap filler superglue . the same as I use on my models.
    Hopefully this will work.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

If there's enough of a flat surface on the back side, maybe you can gorilla glue an extra strip of plastic across each crack, to help hold it together? Just thinking out loud...

FEP Senior Member

That is the plan. I was thinking screen wire, with a stiffner added after I get saturation with the G/G in the screen wire.
    Good idea.
    Thanks.

Jim,

Just read through your thread. Glad to see you're still at it. I still have my old Zephyr and a few spare parts. Let me know if you need anything.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 418 sbf w/ glide E-100 and Nitrous. Mid 5's @ 124 on 26x10's
    1986 Ford LTD street car w/ turbo. Best et/mph so far 10.5 @ 140 on 17" hard tires. Driven to and from track.

FEP Senior Member

Hey thanks. Post a pic of you car here.

Jim,

Here's a picture of the car I'm currently working on: Currently runs high 10's on low boost (need more testing)

And here's a picture of the old Zephyr in all of it's mid 5 second glory: (mid 5's @ 124)
    Last edited by 408GT; 04-13-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 418 sbf w/ glide E-100 and Nitrous. Mid 5's @ 124 on 26x10's
    1986 Ford LTD street car w/ turbo. Best et/mph so far 10.5 @ 140 on 17" hard tires. Driven to and from track.

Very nice. I'd like to know more about the Zephyr.
    Somewhere down in Texas...

Quote Originally Posted by mcooke View Post
    Very nice. I'd like to know more about the Zephyr.
    It was a 418 sbf w/ 13.5:1 cr, AFR 225's, .700 solid roller, super victor, 1,000 cfm pro-systems carb, 250 plate kit, fogger, PTC, glide, etc. on a m/t 26x10 it sixtied a 1.21 and ran mid 5's. Nothing earth shattering but a fun car none the less. I've since sold the drive train and the roller is just sitting in my shop until I decide what I want to do with it. It has all team Z front end, moly 8.50 cage, thru floor subframes,etc etc. I don't want to muddy Jim's thread up too much about it...

Jim, your car is looking really good. I like the tire and wheel combo. Post up some more pics!

Same here, not trying to divert thread.
    Somewhere down in Texas...

FEP Senior Member

Thanks about the car. It's a slow process for a old guy. No problem on muddying the thread. just glad to see you guys on here.

Wish I had not sold the Zcar.

Pics are a problem for me.

FEP Senior Member

Well boys and girls, I might have bitten off more than I can chew. I've add a bunch of salt so I can digest this.

I'm in the process of removing the under dash wiring, done, and installing a 79 mustang harness, about 1/4 done.

Have started on the eng harness on the right side removing that, have pulled the end thru the firewall.

Will be hooking all of the harness to the column tomorrow , and pulling the left side harness thru the f/w.

The end goal is to have the Mustang dash installed.

The tin on this Fmont will be the only original part on here.

The latest episode of Gearz is about wiring. maybe check it out on the website. Might give you some perspective.

Same with my car though, the body itself is about the only thing original. the back half of the interior, I guess. haha
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That wiring sure can be tough Jim. I had a 1980 Zephyr that I transplanted the complete wiring and drivetrain from a 1994 Mustang GT. I even cut the sheet metal out of the trunk to make the Mustang fuel tank fit. It was a fun little car until I was on my way to work one morning and a Lady in a Toyota wasn't paying attention to the three cars in front of her were completely stopped. I was the unlucky one in the rear that got all the brunt of the impact. By the grace of God I avoided missing the vehicle in front of me and oncoming school traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by 408GT View Post
    That wiring sure can be tough Jim. I had a 1980 Zephyr that I transplanted the complete wiring and drivetrain from a 1994 Mustang GT. I even cut the sheet metal out of the trunk to make the Mustang fuel tank fit. It was a fun little car until I was on my way to work one morning and a Lady in a Toyota wasn't paying attention to the three cars in front of her were completely stopped. I was the unlucky one in the rear that got all the brunt of the impact. By the grace of God I avoided missing the vehicle in front of me and oncoming school traffic!
    I'm constantly astounded by how many people have done this that I don't know about.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Great folks on this site. That's what keeps this old man going.
    Today I thought this will never run again, but now I know it will.

Keep on keeping on.
    Just over the 1 yr mark on owner ship. Been a tough yr.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast