Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Default weather stripping replacement.

I need to replace all of the weather stripping on my 81 4dr Zephyr. I've done some searches on here and as well on google to find the information I need. I've read that X weather strip part from Y vehicle will fit. And X weather strip from this Ford will fit. But I never seem to come a cross the exact year/model or what Ford model and year. So heres a list of what I need and if I can get info about where I can get it, that would help me out big time.

A.) Door seals (all four)
    B.) Window channels (all four)
    C.) Dew wipes (exterior, all 4 doors...the interior is fine)
    D.) That piece that attaches to the rear windows that goes up and down with the window.
    E.) Trunk

I want to do as little work as possble when it comes to installing it. I don't want to have to modify it, put on clips or anything major. But if I have to I will.

Thanks
    1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

I got suitable door and trunk weatherstripping from JC Whitney. I posted part numbers here, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

I haven't been able to find dew wipes or window channels yet.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

I used #40 part #865275P http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000232058
    for the full carpeted door panel.

And #43 part #819751A
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000225817
    for the outer belt.

And #27 part #813699Y
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000220223
    for the window channel.

NEVER MIND THESE LINKS. USING THIS STUFF TAKES SKILL, KNOW HOW AND WORK!
    I read that you do not want to do work. Anybody else can use these links.
    You should go to a car restorer, pay $$$ and let them replace it.
    Last edited by RED 78'; 04-16-2008 at 07:18 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Screw that I ain't going to take it to a restorer and spend god knows how much on weather stripping. I have no problem doing the work and probably will. I've done research and found all I have to do is remove the old clips (carefully) and rivet them on the new belts.
    But thanks though.
    1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

Just to note: That window channel stripping has been discontinued. At least thats what JCW has told me.

1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    Just to note: That window channel stripping has been discontinued. At least thats what JCW has told me.

Yeah for a while now.....i really need it I paid 150 for a NOS drivers side window channel for my two door crown vic and was all excited that i can get something very similar for the passengers side door very cheap but like you said DISCONTINUED

I can't find ANYTHING that is comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Yeah for a while now.....i really need it I paid 150 for a NOS drivers side window channel for my two door crown vic and was all excited that i can get something very similar for the passengers side door very cheap but like you said DISCONTINUED

I can't find ANYTHING that is comparable.
    JCW said they'll contact the manufacturer and they'll either call me or email me on whether they have it. I was told it could be a week to get back to me.

:shrug:
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    JCW said they'll contact the manufacturer and they'll either call me or email me on whether they have it. I was told it could be a week to get back to me.

:shrug:
    That is what they said to me three weeks ago....still waiting for an answer lol.

I don't know if it will work for the F/Z but I noticed that full size Bronco tailgate glass dew wipes are really close match for the LTD stuff.
    The clips are different spacing but so close that I don't need to move all the clips. One set does two doors on my LTD so I only need two sets to do all four doors. Two door cars would probably only need one set.
    $50 a set at JBG
    http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...er___outer.htm
    NPD and LMC truck also sell it, and if you get really lucky you might find some OEM.
    85 LTD 5.0 sleeper build. Getting garage ready and gathering parts.

Some local auto glass shops carry the window channel, a local upholstery fabric supply shop used to carry it, but no longer does. Looks like the same stuff in Falcons, and I know that several Falcon parts vendors carry it as well - Falconparts.com comes to mind.

And on the subject of installing these items, Red 78' is right - it takes some experience, patience, and a general feeling of how things fit together, are fastened, and clearance. I've rebuilt many a door and 1/4 window, old and newer, and there is always something that needs to be cut, trimmed, modified, sometimes fabricated, and generally fussed with before it all comes together well and the window rolls up and down easily. It's one of the more frustrating areas of auto restoration, but gives a real feeling of accomplishment when done.

-MJS

I've found that 1st generation Ranger and Explorer door weather strip fits nicely. For the wagons the Aerostar van rear hatch seal makes a great rear hatch seal for our wagons. Or two trunk seals from almost any car.

It also appears that the late 80's/early 90's Ford truck glass tracks will fit nicely.

I always check the junk yards first for good stuff before I buy new. Although I still haven't seen a suitable dew wipe other than new. The tend to go bad really fast.

My drivers door is the worst and I haven't got to that yet. I don't think my wagon ever had passengers before I bought it as the only door that really needs attention is the drivers' door.

LMC seems to be the most reasonably priced for adaptive parts.

Even though we think the FOX cars are popular apparently there's not a big enough market for JCW, Metro, Steele etc. to manufacture with an unsure market.
    1986 Tbird 3.8
    1992 Ford TBird LX 3.8
    1992 Ranger XLT 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdsps View Post

It also appears that the late 80's/early 90's Ford truck glass tracks will fit nicely.
    They don't fit nicely, I have some for my bronco that I test fitted in the LTD.
    They have a lip that sticks out that does not fit nicely with the LTD/ fairmont tracks.
    Closer matches can be found.

I ordered some WC 21-96 from this place. I'll see how it fits when it arrives.
    http://www.metrommp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by danielbrown View Post
    They don't fit nicely, I have some for my bronco that I test fitted in the LTD.
    They have a lip that sticks out that does not fit nicely with the LTD/ fairmont tracks.
    Closer matches can be found.

I ordered some WC 21-96 from this place. I'll see how it fits when it arrives.
    http://www.metrommp.com/
    Hey that looks really similar! Please post up some pictures once you have it installed! I really need it and that looks like the closest thing I have seen yet!

Hey that looks really similar! Please post up some pictures once you have it installed! I really need it and that looks like the closest thing I have seen yet!
    The WC 21-96 fits perfectly. That's what I used on my Futura. It's actually for a Falcon, but it works great.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=71782

Quote Originally Posted by fasfivo View Post
    The WC 21-96 fits perfectly. That's what I used on my Futura. It's actually for a Falcon, but it works great.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=71782
    woot you are the man!

Here is an front door outer dew wipe I made from the bronco piece.

I only had to move the outer two clips two make it work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good detective work here, everyone! My LTD desperately needs dew wipes.

danielbrown, do the clips simply slide along or so you have to remove them and reattach them somehow?
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    Good detective work here, everyone! My LTD desperately needs dew wipes.

danielbrown, do the clips simply slide along or so you have to remove them and reattach them somehow?
    They have little tabs that go through and are crimped over. A lot like a staple. I very carefully pried the tabs up and removed the clips. Then marked where they need to go and punched new slots with an tiny straight pick and small flat head. (a set of picks comes in handy for this project)
    Inserted the tabs through the new slots and crimped them back over with an punch and hammer. Trimmed the ends with a cutoff wheel and a little black touch up paint to prevent rust. You can also use rivets to attach the clips. You need 3/32 dia rivets.

It took about 30 min to do including dropping a clip and taking a while to find it.

Thank you for all for posting the info on where to get window channel material - it seems all my 'Monts have gaps and the new acquisition is missing and entire side of the window run - augh.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Thank you for all for posting the info on where to get window channel material - it seems all my 'Monts have gaps and the new acquisition is missing and entire side of the window run - augh.

Dean T
    same here
    ~~~Project Granny Sled~~~
    ~~~4 doors and some hurt feelings~~~
    79 Ford Fairmont with ALOT of mustang parts

The WC 21-96 showed up today.
    It fits very good but it takes 3 pieces to do all 4 doors and I ordered 2.
    I will work on the inner glass run soon, maybe tonight.

Anybody have part numbers/application for the trunk and door seals weatherstrip for my sedan? My door seals are OK but the trunk seal is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by danielbrown View Post
    The WC 21-96 showed up today.
    It fits very good but it takes 3 pieces to do all 4 doors and I ordered 2.
    I will work on the inner glass run soon, maybe tonight.

Anybody have part numbers/application for the trunk and door seals weatherstrip for my sedan? My door seals are OK but the trunk seal is shot.
    Hey can you take a picture of your original window channel weatherstripping? Want to now if it is comparable to my Crown Victoria.

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

Great contributions in this thread! I have feel victim to non fitting pieces, I believe thanks to this thread I have found the correct fix!
    - Richard

Hey can you take a picture of your original window channel weatherstripping? Want to now if it is comparable to my Crown Victoria.
    I sure can but it won't help you much because the original is in tiny pieces laying in the driveway. It was so hard I had to pry it out with a screwdriver but the picture of the JCW #27 above is almost exactly what the original looked like.
    The WC 21-96 is not as close but it fits and works very good.
    The WC 22-96 would probably fit just has good. I think I will try that one on the rear doors to see how it works.

awesome thanks. And them channels sure seem to get crusty with age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast