Close

Default 2.3 Turbo Exhaust

Hey all,

I was a member a few years ago and will be starting a new project soon, so I figured I better get back on the four eyed pride!

I am going to be restoring an 84 GT Turbo Convertible.

I had an 84 GT Turbo as my very first car back in 1990.

It will be restored to factory condition with the exception of the engine. I hope to build around 400 hp out of the little four banger which shouldn't be a problem but I'm having a hard time finding a suitable Exhaust system.

I don't care if it's duals or not but I would like a nice Exhaust note.

Anybody know of a setup that would work?

Thanks

I'm happy to hear that another Turbo GT convertible is being restored. While I can't comment about the exhaust because I kept mine stock, I just wanted to welcome you to FEP. Please post pics when you can. I'm sure that if you posted more about what you have planned for under the hood modifications, it will probably help someone else give you advice about the exhaust.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

For my 20th. it was suggested that the exhaust should be cat (Ca. required) only with no muffler. The turbo kinda reduces the loudness and produces a nice sound through the turbo under acceleration. I'm game.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

We used a Stinger 3" single exhaust on my son's 84 GT Turbo. It has great sound and let's the turbo spool up quickly.

3" downpipe is a good thing at the least. For mufflers, on a turbo car you need to be able to see through them. Don't pick something baffled. It is true, the turbo will muffle the exhaust some as it is.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Hey thanks for the replys. I never thought about not running a muffler. That might be an option.

My friend is currently building a Merkur XR4Ti, and he doesn't have a muffler on it I don't believe. Here is a link to his page where you can hear what it sounds like in a couple of the clips.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone...686092?fref=ts
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Pics of the Turbo Vert you're going to be restoring?