Close

Thread: LX with 5-speed

So, here's one for you. My 85 LTD LX has a story and it goes like this. It's a one owner car (I'm the second) of course it has the 5.0 but it was built with a 5 speed. I know this sounds like a BS story, but it seems to have some truth to it. The guy I bought the car from raced a 85 SVO with some factory backing from Ford. At some point in the 85 season Ford gave him this car to use. Eventually the car was "sold" to him for the sum of $1. Now like I said, sounds like BS and I have not got a Marti on it yet, but he was not trying to sell the car to me with the story. I went to his house to look at a F150 for parts and here sits this LTD under a cover. When I realized what was under the cover, i asked if it was for sale and was given an imediate "no". This car was his baby that he liked so much that only after we talked for a long time before he offered it to me. Back in the day he had bought all of the LX specific trim new and put it away - even bought a bolt of fabric to reupholster the seats if need be. The thing is that all this stuff on the car is still in great condition. He had held on to the SVO too and had only sold it a few months before I bought this car.
    My opologies if this story should be posted someplace else.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  139.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  99.1 KB
    Here's a couple of pics of my LX
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd

I would like to see all of the factory and dealer documentation for this car...window sticker, invoice, door tag, buck tag, build sheet, transmission tag, VIN on the transmission, Marti report, etc. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

...and I would like to see the front floor pan ( no carpet ) and firewall in front of the driver? I'm not saying it isn't possible that this was a special built LTD just how they might have done it.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Congrats for being deemed worthy! Awesome find either way!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Ok guys, where do you find the buck tag on these cars? Has anyone found a build sheet and where?
    This car has sat here since I bought last summer and I really haven't done any research. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd

I'm not sure about LTDs but the buck tag on Mustangs is on the front side of the core support near the hood latch. I'm guessing it would be somewhere near there since it's a Ford thing?

The build sheet should be somewhere under the carpet. That was kinda why I asked about pics of the front floor pan. Your car may have been modified by Cars & Concepts just like the convertibles and T-top cars. I'm just guessing though.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Build sheets don't have a set location. We have had people find them under the carpet, in the spare tire area, under the headliner, inside the seat upholstery, behind the interior plastics, under the dash pad, etc. So basically just start tearing things apart and see what you find. Starting with the carpet is a good place to begin, but there's no guarantee it's there. Heck, your car might not have one inside at all...you just never know. After all , they were supposed to be thrown away.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I think buck tag location depends on assembly plant first and model year second. I don't think it's universal across all models and all model years.

I think I remember somebody saying their LTD's buck tag was on the BOTTOM (facing the ground) of the radiator core support.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  88.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  34.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  33.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  117.2 KB
    Thanks. Found the buck tag on the front of the bottom radiator support. It was screwed to the front of it but folded over. I'm not finding anything that convinces me the story is fact. Door tag, to me, does not reveal anything more special than a 1985 LX.

Keep in mind that although it's a one owner car, I didn't get the window sticker or invoice. The car was in the process of being converted to EFI 20yrs ago before it was stored away. Original engine and trans is missing (came with a 331 stroker on a stand). Trans tunnel shifter opening was cut with what appears to have been a plasma cutter (?) as it is neat and painted body color. Another thing is that the firewall appears that the hole that the clutch cable would normally go thru is where the orig speedometer cable went. Does not have a hole above the throttle cable mount where normal std shift foxbodies route the speedometer cable (forgot to get a pic of this).

As for the the build sheet, I am not ready to tear the car apart because I allready have enough "projects" in various stages that I don't need another right now. And I gave not sent for a Marti report yet.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd

VIN
    1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    39 = LTD 4-dr sedan
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    0 = VIN check digit
    F = 1985 model year
    G = Chicago Assembly
    107275 = 7,275th 1985 Ford scheduled for production at Chicago Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 08/84 = August 1984 scheduled build
    F0001 = 1 lb front accessory reserve load
    R0026 = 26 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 1B = Medium Charcoal Metallic
    DSO - 22 = Charlotte district sales office
    Body - 54D = LTD 4-dr sedan
    Mldg - B2P?
    Int Trim - BA
    A/C - [blank]
    R - 7 = AM/FM stereo radio with cassette tape player
    Ax - E = 3.27:1 axle ratio, Traction-Lok (limited slip) differential
    Tr - T = AOD transmission
    FF = front springs
    XX = rear springs

Buck Tag
    39 = LTD 4-dr sedan
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    107275 = 7,275th 1985 Ford scheduled for production at Chicago Assembly
    1B = Medium Charcoal Metallic exterior paint color
    BS
    TC = touring coupe (?)
    SC = fingertip speed control
    PW = power side windows
    VW = vent windows (?)
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    P1
    EM
    X
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-15-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

(?) = I'm not sure if that's what the code means
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

The floor shifter hole on my car was cut out by hand too, and very sloppily I might add.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I can say that it does have vent windows (VW). I'll need to check but (TC)= tilt column?
    You don't have anything on the other codes on the tag?
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd

The buck tag is for codes mostly relating to body and paint. It would not be for tilt column. I think LTDs with power windows got vent windows but I am not sure if the "VW" code is for that or something else. I don't know a lot about LTD buck tags so some of codes I do not know.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

For some Fox body cars where there was an engine option variance between VIN engine codes; in the instance of what happened in 1984 and 1985, the Transmission code then decides on what the 5.0 HO engine was used.

his doesn't always work out like this...In the case of the early carb turbo 2.3, there was a second code in addition to the engine VIN code to define the engine. An early 2.3 carb had another code to valiade that it was born a carb turbo. In some instances, there were BV code automatic 2.3 turbos, despite the combination never being listed officially. In your case, the transmssion should lock down CFI or 4-BBL engine type.

In the 5.0 Foxes, yet again one M code 5.0 could be CFI (automatic C5 or AOD) or 4-BBL (manual SROD, T4 or T5). In your case, its a CFI auto by virtue of its T Suffix, = AOD transmission code.

However well done or otherwise, the LX has been modified to become a quasi T5 Q-ship. It wasn't one at birth.

By the numbers, you can get the answer!

Thanks guys for all the info. I'll try to look for a build sheet soon and keep everyone who's interested posted. I've been busy building a new building to store parts in and I really want to get my Capri on the road soon.

Again, thanks for the help
    Rich
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd

another quick way to tell is Manual transmission Fox's from the 80's used a curved gas pedal and the automatic used a flat gas pedal.

I thoguth Bob Bondurant had the only 5 speed LTD LX, and that was done at his race shop to build a "scare the students" car. LOL

LTD LXes, Police Package LTDs, and Marquis LTSes, were built by Ford with an AOD only. None were built by Ford with a manual transmission.

Bob Bondurant built his LTD with a drivetrain from a Mustang.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder