Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LTD LX production number

HEY Foxchassis how many LTD LX you show made in 84 and 85? Just got a Marti report done on mine and the numbers are a lot higher. It shows 3367 lx produced for the 1985 LTD and 8491 with that powertrain? Thanks

If I remember correctly, I have seen only one Marti report for the LTD, and it was for a Police Package. I have not seen any "verified" LX production numbers, only Internet lore.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I had one done recently follwing your steps of putting it in as a mustang and it all came up but the numbers were higher than i thought. Folk lore is beautiful thing. LOL

Internet lore pegged total production of the 1984-85 LTD LX at 3260. If your report is showing more than that just for the 1985 model year alone, you can consider than 3260 number to be officially blown out of the water.

The powertrain number on your report matches what I have seen before. That just means there were that many P39 (LTD 4-door sedan) w/ a 5.0L engine and AOD trans made in 1985.

I know of only two ways to get a 5.0L/AOD in an LTD in 1984 and 1985: the LX option or a 'fleet' (Police Package, taxi, etc.) order.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I agree , I was wondering if you could have order a LX with a 6? I know for a fact that one off stuff use to happen back in those days. The only saving grace is that report also shows that this is one 948 with this paint/trim codes also one of 4 ordered from this DSO. Bulit in 4/85 and sold on 7/85.

Just got an email from Ken Marti saying all LX had 5.0 so the 3260 number is history!

sorry Kevin marti

Thanks for the follow up with Marti on engine choices in the LX. So it is confirmed....LX could only come with 5.0L engine.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Can you post pics of any factory or dealer documentation, sticker, tags, etc. that you have?...door tag, buck tag, axle tag, build sheet, window sticker, invoice, etc. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Marti suggest having a owner of a 84 ltd lx do a report and we should get the true production numbers. I really like to see what happens with the new 5 speed lx that just popped up too.

Per 1985 Ford LTD dealer brochure page 21:
    LTD Sedan
    LTD Brougham
    LTD LX
    LTD Wagon

2.3/Selectshift = std Sedan, Brougham; n/a LX, wagon
    3.8/Selectshift = opt Sedan, Brougham; n/a LX; std wagon
    5.0 HO/AOD = n/a Sedan, Brougham, wagon; std LX;

Then there was the Canada only Marquis LTS..
    Bob Bondurant’s Racing School red 1984 LTD
    Last edited by gr79; 04-13-2015 at 02:32 AM.

Default Ltd lx

There were 3260 LX's built. All with Automatics. All other mid size V8 LTD's were police package units, also all automatics. And they sold a butt load of them. One of the most popular cop cars (with the cops) ever. Significantly cheaper than the Crown Vic's of the period, which by the way were available with carburated 400 ci V8 until 92 model year, depending on what part of the country you were located, (sorry Cali, not available there).
    Last edited by madmacs; 05-16-2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: additional info

Also the LX nomenclature referred to above was a comfort trim level that was available. NOT the LX performance model.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    There were 3260 LX's built.
    The "3260" number is off. WAY off. According to Marti Auto Works, there were 3367 made in 1985. If we find out the number from 1984 the total for both years will be even higher. Maybe closer to 4260?
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-18-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

There were 3260 LX's built. All with Automatics. All other mid size V8 LTD's were police package units, also all automatics. And they sold a butt load of them. One of the most popular cop cars (with the cops) ever. Significantly cheaper than the Crown Vic's of the period, which by the way were available with carburated 400 ci V8 until 92 model year, depending on what part of the country you were located, (sorry Cali, not available there).
    What ford engine was 400 CI after 1979 and what car was it put in?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

All other mid size V8 LTD's were police package units, also all automatics.
    Others have said, although I have not seen any myself, that there were P39 'fleet' orders other than the Police Package that had the 5.0L engine, e.g. 5.0L LTD taxis.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

There were no 400M powered Ford cars after '78, the largest engine available in Panthers after '79 was the 351W, all with the variable venturi carb.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

There were never any 400Ms. After 78 the only thing you could get a 400 in was a truck or van.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    There were never any 400Ms. After 78 the only thing you could get a 400 in was a truck or van.
    I thought about that later, should have posted "vehicle" instead of "car".
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Can you post pics of any factory or dealer documentation, sticker, tags, etc. that you have?...door tag, buck tag, axle tag, build sheet, window sticker, invoice, etc. Thanks.
    I have Window Sticker and invoice (invoice just surfaced recently). Never got a Marti report on mine though - the combo of engine and trim should lock down LTD LX production at least for 1985.
    1985 LTD LX original owner

Quote Originally Posted by GUTI59 View Post
    Marti suggest having a owner of a 84 ltd lx do a report and we should get the true production numbers. I really like to see what happens with the new 5 speed lx that just popped up too.
    Just got my Marti for my 84 LX. It says 1,920 came with the LX Package

Also the LX nomenclature referred to above was a comfort trim level that was available. NOT the LX performance model.
    I don't think this is right either...
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Marti does know what was produced it seems like it could be correct. Low production first year and mass build out for a model that will not be made in the future. Liquid when does it show yours was produced?

Low production in the first year (1984) is because the 5.0L wasn't available until well after the model year started. (Lowest P39M VIN for 1984 is EG141755.) Production was higher in 1985 because it was available the whole model year. (Lowest P39M VIN for 1985 is FG100004.)
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-13-2015 at 08:16 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

According to Marti Auto Works...

1984 LTD LX = 1920 produced
    1985 LTD LX = 3367 produced (1447 more than 1984)

Total 1984-85 LTD LX = 5287
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast