Close

Default Value of my 86 Turbo Coupe?

Hello all, long time no post. I have a 1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe sitting in my mothers garage, she is looking to sell her house so I have to do something with the 'bird.

The bad - I parked it in need of a new exhaust 2007 or so. The right window motor is going and the sunroof leaks. The headliner needs to be replaced but, otherwise the interior is pretty clean. It has about 81,000 miles on it and would need a new exhaust to run without getting hot (turbo).

The good - it's a pretty solid car with some rust behind the rear wheels and the back window. It ran well before I parked it.

Should I put some money into it and sell it as a running car or say forget it? Hard to part with the car but I don't really have the room. Name:  3280_564069887717_3411796_n.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  54.4 KBName:  20410_10100149071866037_186182292_n.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  13.6 KBName:  46016_10100149071796177_1953725068_n.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  147.0 KB

Is the cat included in the deal? Seriously tho, it looks pretty good overall.

But to piss on your parade I just picked up a black 86 tc auto. 122 on the clock, sitting for 16 years. I paid $400 delivered for it.

I'd fix the exhaust and whatever else it needs to be a good running and driving car. A good running and driving car is always easier to sell. The other stuff I'd leave for negotiation fodder. Value wise, the automatic trans may hurt the desirability for some, however most folks looking to buy that car are not going to be looking for a hot rod. So it may not be a big deal. I'd put the street value at $2000-2500 in good running order. Ask $3500 obo and work it from there. And don't apologize for every little issue up front. But be honest and don't hide anything if asked. That's how you get the most money for a used car. Now is the right time of year to sell a classic. Good luck!

One thing that's hard to tell from the pic, is the paint still in pretty good shape?

If the paint is rough or faded that will hurt the value quite a bit.

The paint is 7 out of 10 I would say. The passenger side door has been repainted, I can tell because it is peeling ..... A few friends advised that I will regret selling a car that I have held on to for so long AND if it takes less than 2000.00 to fix, I should just drive it. *Sigh* still on the fence but leaning toward keeping it....OR getting it to run and then selling it - that makes the most sense.

Let me kick you off the fence

If you have the ability, you should keep your car. It obviously has nostalgia value to you, and it's not worth very much money. This is exactly the kind of sale that you will regret someday.

Forget about the cosmetic issues. Get it back on the road, you'll appreciate it a lot more! A running driving classic is always more fun to drive on Sunday trips down memory lane.

SELL IT!!!

You parked the car in 2007 because of a drive ability issue that's simple & cheap to replace.

AN EXHAUST SYSTEM!

Based upon the FACT that the car has been parked at Mom's house for 8 YEARS and the only reason you NOW have an interest in the car is that in your words "I have to do something with the 'bird". This car needs to leave and leave fast!

Sell it as it is and get on with life!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 04-15-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

There you have it, both voices already in your head.

Was that any help? lol

That's a sweet ride. If I was you I would get it running and then decide. At least with it running you'll know right away if you should keep it or sell it . If you then choose to sell it will be easier to move. Plus the money you spend getting it running will come back to you in the sale price, so there really is no reason not to get her on the road again.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

A running, driving car will always sell for more than one that doesn't. If you put that car up for sale needing work, I can just about guarantee the body will be in the scrap yard in no time because then engine will be in a Mustang or Ranger.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup