Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    FEP Member

Default Need assistance on an 86 lx notch 5 speed

I am buying a car that is slightly modified. Not doing a concours resto but want to see the things that came from the factory and restore mine as I see fit. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

matt

What kinda info you looking for?

FEP Member

i guess to see what the car came with from the factory and compare that to what the car now has.

Post up door tag, buck tag and vin.. also if you want to all options I would recommend purchasing a marti report. By the way seen the pic in the other thread.. and man what a awesome car!!!

FEP Member

Thanks. Thinking of getting the marti report

Did you end up with that canyon red notch? If so...well done! That is one killer car. You need to start some kind of picture thread so we can all get a better look at it. Also, like stangman said...post up the door, buck, and vin tags in the "production numbers and decoding" section. We can decode it and tell you all the options it came with from Ford. I would still get a Marti Report cause any documentation you can get that proves its a factory V8, 5-speed is important. Your car will be one of the more valuable once these cars take off. Everybody wants a notch that is a factory v8 stick. I would also recommend finding out if Marti Auto has the Emminger Invoice for your car. Again, any documentation you can get will add value to your car. You may want to stick to bolt on mods because of how "in demand" that car is and how valuable it may be.

Congrats, now let's see the pics!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Did you end up with that canyon red notch? If so...well done! That is one killer car. You need to start some kind of picture thread so we can all get a better look at it. Also, like stangman said...post up the door, buck, and vin tags in the "production numbers and decoding" section. We can decode it and tell you all the options it came with from Ford. I would still get a Marti Report cause any documentation you can get that proves its a factory V8, 5-speed is important. Your car will be one of the more valuable once these cars take off. Everybody wants a notch that is a factory v8 stick. I would also recommend finding out if Marti Auto has the Emminger Invoice for your car. Again, any documentation you can get will add value to your car. You may want to stick to bolt on mods because of how "in demand" that car is and how valuable it may be.

Congrats, now let's see the pics!
    Thanks. I found another last year, but the sale was pending. It was a grey arizona car with a 5 speed. I also have a 92 notch that I am doing a coyote swap on. Hope to have that done by August at the latest. Re did the entire interior black, new paint job same color white, 17 inch ponies, will have ac, ps and pb so should be sweet. I am sending a check for the Canyon Red notch today. As soon as he gets it, which should be tomorrow, he will allow the check to clear and then send me the docs on the car(title, bill of sale, odometer statement) and then I will have it shipped to me via enclosed carrier thru u ship. Sad part is I don't have space for the car now at my place, so will have it at a friends house with the car cover. I am in the process of selling my grandmother's house and then mine will be up for sale. Also, between my gf and I and her two daughters, we already have 4 cars not including either mustang and just have a one car garage, so my new house will have at least a two car garage. Maybe space to add a metal building as well. Enough about that. Like I said, I am not doing a concours restoration due to money spent on the 92, but would like to do the best I can in restoring it back to 86 specs on stuff that makes sense. Mostly talking about appearance wise. So want the stock airbox in place, stock intake plaque, 10 hole wheels, etc. Once I have the Marti Report and between posting things on here, I will make a list of stuff that needs to be addressed and then make it happen. I want to leave it looking as original as possible. I agree, that the next wave of cars in the 80's that this one will be valuable. Perhaps in the future I can do a full Concours restoration, but it will be driven a few thousand a year, so don't want to do that yet. See below for all of the pics. I am getting the SSP wheels and will have those up for sale. Enjoy.

Last edited by Plavidal; 11-26-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Sweet 'Stang, Matt!!! Congrats!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

FEP Member

Thanks. Will fit right in with this beast once it is done.

FEP Member

Also forgot to mention. Need to locate a rear deck as this one has cutouts for speaker grills. Also was told the mirror is frozen on the passenger side. I am guessing it is not power. I could use the rearview mirror and drivers side mirror but would like for everything to work. Don't know how hard that will be. Gonna redo the drivers side door card and remove the map pocket and just leave the carpet. To me that may be correct from the factory, but they sag and I don't like them. Located an intake plaque and also a stock airbox. Next will be to find a factory radio from 86.

Both of those batches are incredible, and congrats on the red one. I hope the deal gets done quickly and the car arrives safe and sound. I love those ssp wheels on that car, but a fresh set of 10 holes will look amazing as well (you really can't go wrong with 10 holes).

Keep us posted and congrats again!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Member

Mike,

Thanks. I just got a set of polished 93 cobra wheels. Gonna see how that looks on it. Was going to use those on my 92 for the street, but they may look good on the 86. I usually like changing wheels, so I still plan on getting 10 holes. Just like to switch things up.

Yeah the 92 should run mid to low 11's like it is. I am using an aluminator low compression coyote engine with a 4r70w auto tranny. I think I will be happy with both, but I don't think I can buy anymore mustangs till I find a bigger place.
    Last edited by Plavidal; 04-16-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Super nice car. Congrats. Lots of helpful people around here.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

FEP Member

Indeed.

Congrats on your car.

FEP Member

I feel like a fat kid in a candy store.

Drooooooooooollllllllll. ... in love with both coupes...

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Drooooooooooollllllllll. ... in love with both coupes...
    thanks. I did the entire interior but the dash on the 92. Did sound and heat barrier on interior. Can't wait to see and hear it once finished.

Those cobra wheels are awesome. Personally. Think they will look better on your 92, but the nice thing about wheels is they can be easily changed.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Member

Just want to see how they look

FEP Member

No message
    Last edited by Plavidal; 11-26-2015 at 09:43 PM.

FEP Member

No message

FEP Member

No message

VIN
    1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    26 = Mustang LX 2-dr coupe
    M = EFI H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    4 = VIN check digit
    G = 1986 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    300907 = 200,907th 1986 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Exterior Paint Colors - 2A = Medium Canyon Red Metallic
    DSO - 22 = Charlotte (NC) district sales office
    Body - 66B = Mustang 2-dr convertible/LX 2-dr coupe
    Int Trim - FA = cloth seating, low-back front buckets (F), Charcoal/Grey interior color (A)
    Tape - A = Black tape stripe
    R - 7 = AM/FM stereo radio with cassette tape player
    S - [blank] = no sunroof, no T-roof (neither available on coupe body in 1986)
    Ax - Z = 3.08:1 rear axle ratio, Traction-Lok (limited slip) differential
    Tr - 2 = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    OO = front springs
    SS = rear springs
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I would be able to tell you more with the buck tag. The assembly plant attached it to the radiator core support (the frame the radiator bolts to).

Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast