Close

Default Original 4bbl carb tuning

Anybody out there remember how many turns out the mixture screws were set on the 85 4 bbl? Need a good starting point and I know the mixture screws were originally sealed in a plastic so they couldn't be tampered with. I just can't recall how many turns out they were set...
    '85 Mustang GT Convertible, Jalapeno Red, Charcoal Int., Black Top, 5.0 H.O., 4 bbl , 5 speed, No AC, All original except for 8.8 Motorsport rr w/3.55 gears & subframe connectors. Owned since 'August 86. 1 of 574.

You should use the standard 1.5 turns-and-go-from-there method.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

The mixture screws...all four of them...are sealed off by a metal cap insert which can be removed. As stated above, I would start with snugging them down then turn them back out 1.5 turns and start with that.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Snugging them down may have different meanings to different people. For me when I adjust mixture screws, I will gently turn them down until they seat and no more. This keeps the needle & seats from being damaged and ensures you will be able to get a good adjustment.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks. I was thinking it was 2 1/2 turns but I'll start at the 1 1/2 starting with snugging the screw down gently. Carb shop I took the carb to for a stuck mixture screw went to drill the screw out and accidentally went through the baseplate. They replaced the baseplate and set the mixture screws 3 turns out. Way too rich. Unfortunately the new baseplate is off a Ford truck so it's s little different on the secondary side. Now does anybody have an easy method to adjust the screws without taking the carb off each time to turn the screw? I still have the EGR plate and heat shield on mine so there's little clearance - and tough to tell if you're on the screw correctly or not and if you're actually turning it when everything is bolted down tight.
    Last edited by Dogster; 04-07-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: missing word
    '85 Mustang GT Convertible, Jalapeno Red, Charcoal Int., Black Top, 5.0 H.O., 4 bbl , 5 speed, No AC, All original except for 8.8 Motorsport rr w/3.55 gears & subframe connectors. Owned since 'August 86. 1 of 574.

If they replaced your baseplate with one that does not have the rear screws, I would insist they find another.
    Some truck baseplates did have the secondary mixture screws, some did not.

Also, make sure they kept the Mustang primary throttle shaft, else the WOT switch will not work. Mustang
    4180Cs were the only ones that had the tab on the primary throttle arm.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

How many turns to back off as a starting point isn't too important. When you turn them in to adjust, keep going to all four corners and keep turning them in. When you think they are in too far they can probably go in farther. (SMOG in California pisses me off).

PS: were you talking about the "factory Holey" (make that Holley)

Thanks, Jesse
    Last edited by jessesandy; 04-17-2015 at 11:01 PM.

I use a "Torx driver". Its like a nut driver (or a screw driver) for Torx head screws. Since the Torx is like a 6 pointed star so it will fit into an allen type screw.

Try to get a vacuum gauge. Run the car and adjust idle air fuel mixture until you get the highest vacuum reading. Once you get the highest vacuum reading, divide the reading by two. That number will be the size of the power valve you will need if after adjustment your car still smells rich.

To clarify this a bit, an incorrect power valve can cause either a part-throttle lean condition, or a part-throttle
    rich condition, depending on which way it's wrong. The rating of the power valve has nothing to do with idle
    mixture. If the power valve ever affects idle mixture, it's leaking, or it's gasket is leaking.

I generally use a ball-tip Allen wrench to adjust the idle mix screws. But you may have to tweak the heat
    shield a bit to get to the rear screws. Or get a flexible idle mixture screwdriver that has a 3/32" bit, like this
    one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPRO-T71301...-/331440368595
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Sorry I didn't go into much explanation, it was late. Reading now, that I read what I wrote, I mixed two different explanations without explaining what I was trying to say. Idle air mixture is one thing. Power valve is the other.
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 04-18-2015 at 08:48 PM.