Close

Thread: Emblem Question

Default Emblem Question

Does anyone know when Saleen changed the hatch "Saleen" emblem from black to chrome? According to the SCOA "Saleen Identification Guide" Saleen used black from 84-85 and chrome from 85-88?

So fellow 85 owners, what color is your hatch "Saleen" emblem? Can you list your bumper number and the color of the emblem for me? That way I can see what the cars had that are close to my cars build date.

I think that's gonna be the best way for me to make an educated guess.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Both of my cars have the black metal emblems 85-0055 & 86-0033

Do you think the ship date that's listed in the Saleen book corresponds to when Saleen built the car? If so, your #55 was built before my car, but your #33 was built after. So I'm thinking my car would also have a black "Saleen" emblem on the hatch (if the ship and build dates are close).

APD I was also curious about one more thing...you mentioned having "early" fiberglass side skirts on #55...is the shape of the rear portion of your skirts different from the "late" fiberglass or urethane skirts (by rear portion I'm mean the back part if the skirt that the graphic goes on)? I ask because the decals I have (from PAS) for that specific part just won't fit properly. The top stripe isn't long enough so I have to make a compromise somewhere if I install it (see my decal thread for pics of what I'm talking about). I'm wondering if I have the early skirts like you and maybe that's why all the other decals fit except this one (on both sides)? Although the front side skirt decal fits as it should...so I don't know?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Well I ended up going with black. Here are the results:

I may hit it with a high grit scotch pad to flatten out the black and get it to look more like some of the pics I've seen, but I couldn't resist installing it. These emblems are another thing I've never seen on this car. They came in a box. It's just fun for me to see it turn into a real Saleen.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Senior Member

Can't say when the emblem changed, but I can tell you both my 85's have metal emblems. I've seen some in plastic, and i think the current commercially available ones are plastic.

85-0090 has a black surround with a brushed face.
    85-0001 has a chrome plating on it, possibly used to have black paint around the outline.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

85-0085 has the same brushed face as 85-0090. Very faded, though.

Well I don't know what the exact completion date is on my cars even with all my paper work, I would think the ship,date is close.

But the shape is slightly different on#55 where The decal goes, but I don't think it would make a difference looking at the decals you were supplied with.
    Did you call PAS and ask mark what's up ?

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Do you think the ship date that's listed in the Saleen book corresponds to when Saleen built the car? If so, your #55 was built before my car, but your #33 was built after. So I'm thinking my car would also have a black "Saleen" emblem on the hatch (if the ship and build dates are close).

APD I was also curious about one more thing...you mentioned having "early" fiberglass side skirts on #55...is the shape of the rear portion of your skirts different from the "late" fiberglass or urethane skirts (by rear portion I'm mean the back part if the skirt that the graphic goes on)? I ask because the decals I have (from PAS) for that specific part just won't fit properly. The top stripe isn't long enough so I have to make a compromise somewhere if I install it (see my decal thread for pics of what I'm talking about). I'm wondering if I have the early skirts like you and maybe that's why all the other decals fit except this one (on both sides)? Although the front side skirt decal fits as it should...so I don't know?

I did call PAS and I sent Mark pics of my issue. He was stumped because apparently this has never happened before. That's why I asked about your skirts...that was the only thing I could come up with for a reason why my decals domt fit on that area. He was really amazing though...he promptly shipped out a couple more decals (free of charge). I'm super impressed with him, because I bought my decals in November of 2013 (because I thought they were gonna be installed before I got the car) and I've been storing them ever since. It didn't matter to him that it had been about a year and a half...he just wanted to make sure my car looked the part and that I was happy with his product. It was awesome!

I have no idea why this happened though? All the other decals fit...they aren't long enough to wrap as good as yours (or as good as my originals), but they fit across the top of each part and down the sides and bottom as they should. It was just this one spot on both sides that look like crap no matter how I manipulate the graphic. It's just too short on top. I even had my wife try just to be sure I wasn't being an idiot or overly critical. This time I wasnt. Lol

Hopefully the replacement solves my problem. If not he said he would get some custom cut to work with my car. He really did right by his customer, and I wish some of the other Fox Mustang Re..tailers would do the same. Oh well...
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

mark at pas is a great guy. my friends and I went by once just to look and ended up getting a guided tour. it was amazing and I couldn't believe the cars he had there.

Quote Originally Posted by BDASPNY View Post
    mark at pas is a great guy. my friends and I went by once just to look and ended up getting a guided tour. it was amazing and I couldn't believe the cars he had there.
    Yeah, he has been very kind and helpful, but both of us are stumped on why this decal isn't fitting. He thinks my side skirts might not be original. I think they are because of the traces of the original graphics I can see in certain areas. I suppose somone could have trashed the originals, bought new skirts from cervini, and then bought new decals from either Saleen or PAS (but this would be back in the day. Saleen stopped selling 84-93 parts at some point in the past and they are just now starting to sell them again). The problem is wherever they got those graphics...they fit? They are actually long enough to wrap around the skirt and finish in the wheel arch...and it looks just like APD's cars. That's why I think they are original.

I'm wondering if there is a slight size difference between the urethane and fiberglass skirts and maybe the PAS graphics were based off the urethane? I've got a friend that's gonna do some measuring on his urethane Saleen skirts and we will find out if there is a difference.

APD..would you be able to take a couple measurements for me as well? The distance across at the top of the rear side skirt decal location, and maybe top to bottom? I just want to see if yours and mine are the same.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd