Close

Default Roll cage removal

I have the opportunity to scavenge a roll cage from a parts car I recently acquired. It is a simple roll cage, welded into the floor pans in like four different spots. I want to save the cage and use it in my fox. They are both 1981 fox hatchbacks. Is there anyway i can cut out the welded flanges going into the floor pans and remove the cage in its whole form and reweld into my car? If that is not possible, is it reasonable to make cuts at certain locations and then remove the cage and reweld the joints once in my car? Thanks.

Can you post pics so we can see what you have?

Myself I'd buy a new cage kit. I don't see the value in salvaging a welded in cage. That seems like a lot of work for a piece of used safety equipment. But let's take a look and see?

I don't currently have the ability to take pictures of it(its not anywhere near me and i forgot to take pictures), however, this is the exact roll cage i believeName:  rollcage.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  14.0 KB. Im a pretty strict budget and I would like to salvage as much as possible from my parts car. Thanks again.

Im sorry, I uploaded the wrong cage picture, this is the correct picture Name:  rollcagegood.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  6.2 KB. I somehow mixed up the pictures, however this is the correct roll cage i have been talking about removing. Thanks again guys.

Gonna be tricky. I would assume it would have to be cut at the door bars and the rear down tubes to get it out. Then to make it strong when it is reinstalled it should be sleeved at a minimum.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

That's the same roll bar I have in my car and I sure wouldn't want to try taking it out and reusing it. In the long run I think you'd be better off buying a new one. In the grand scheme of speed parts they aren't that expensive.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I've removed one.. Required a plasma cutter and a lot of cursing.. I'd recommend a new one.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Having put one in my car and thinking about how that was to do, I'd say forget trying to salvage it and buy new. You'll have to cut it up so much to get it out that it would never meet any tech inspection once re-installed anyway. Even though both cars are the same, it's likely that there are minute differences, enough that trying to refit the old bar would be a major hassle to get it to fit properly.

if i was to cut one out i would try and cut the main hoop out and junk the rest, the rest can be replaced new cheaply and require no bends unlike the main hoop.

the biggest problem is that once cut they get to be too short to reuse.

i bent my own roll bar up using new material for under $150, so new doesn't have to be big dollars, but salvaging the main hoop will save you head aches and time

Here's a cage kit for $349 and free shipping

http://www.americanmuscle.com/8point...PReplacementV1