Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 1986 Mustang GT project (Norway)

Hello,

Thought I should introduce my self.

My Name is Thomas, from a place near Oslo in Norway, and I love foureyes.
    I have been a member for a few years now, but never posted.
    I must say this is a great site. Lots of useful information, and seems like a bunch of nice people

I got my interest in these cars from when I was a kid, and my father bought a '79 Pace Car in '92.
    That car was sold in '94, and he bought an '86 Hatchback LX 2.3 in '97 as a daily driver, and sold that one in '99.

When I turned 14 in 2003, I bought my first Mustang - a 1972 Mustang Mach1, H-code FMX.
    In 2007 when I got my driver's license, the '86 my father had, went up for sale again! I did not hesitate to buy that one back, "to the right hands".
    That car is now waiting for restoration...

Well, enough of my background. I thought I should share my latest project:

Last year, in May, I bought an '86 GT AOD, that I had thought about using as a daily driver.
    After driving it for a few weeks, it didn't take long, before I found out that I just didn't have the heart to drive that car through one more salty Norwegian winter. Rust was starting to show several places... So I decided to strip the car down, send it to sandblasting, and start the work on getting her painted and nice again.

It was a bit more rust than I thought... So here is a few pictures... BTW. Excuse my English

The disassembly begins.

After I drove the car to a buddy that did the sandblasting:

Thomas
    1986 Mustang Hatchabck LX 2.3 (soon 5.0?)
    2000 Mustang GT 5 spd. Procharged
    1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5 5 spd. rwd. DD

X 1986 Thunderbird Élan 5.0 AOD
    X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top
    X 1986 Mustang Hatchback LX 2.3 5 spd. A/C (two digits away from my other '86 4-cyl VIN#!)
    X 1986 Mustang Hatchback GT 5.0 AOD http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1900492

When I got the car back from blasting, and started to sand it down for paint:

Here in Norway, where they use so much road-salt in the winter, I have seen that most of the cars here that has been used during winter time, have had bad a-pillars. t wasnt any holes that I could see, but I just wanted to double-check:

The driver's side was ok

But the passenger side was worse:

The bottom of the doors was also rusted. Not just the outer panel, but big parts of the frame, too. So we fabricated som parts
    for the frame, and welded on new panels from the door molding and down. I forgot to take pictures of that...

Hope you enjoy the pictures
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top
    X 1986 Mustang Hatchback LX 2.3 5 spd. A/C (two digits away from my other '86 4-cyl VIN#!)
    X 1986 Mustang Hatchback GT 5.0 AOD http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1900492

Wow......nice work. Gonna be a sweet GT when its done. Keep them pics coming. Pics rock!!! And your english is perfect.

Aw yeah, they do that over here, too.

And welcome to the boards - I see that you belonged for five years, before posting! I wonder if that's any kind of record.

One of my friends was from Moss or Stavange.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Thank you! I will keep this thread posted.
    Can't wait until it's finished. The goal was May 1st. But I think it will be closer to June...

Here is the progress until it is like it sits now.
    I started preparing the moldings I have today, after reading the thread that "Hissing Cobra" made.

I just bought a knew fuel tank for the car, too.
    And I have set up a list of what I need of parts to finish the car now.
    So I will order from latemodelresto next week.

The car has ran over 300000 miles, by the way.
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

Very cool project Thomas. Welcome to FEP. You car will look stellar when it's completed.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Aw yeah, they do that over here, too.

And welcome to the boards - I see that you belonged for five years, before posting! I wonder if that's any kind of record.

One of my friends was from Moss or Stavange.
    Thank you! Yeah, it's five years ago. But I have been folowing som threads from time to time.. Being silent. Haha.

I actually picked up my 2000 GT near Stavanger.

And for those of you who may wonder...

In Norway, we are coming close to 5000 Mustangs, in the Mustang registry of Norway.

Of cars from 79-93, there has been registered just over 200 cars, where we believe 30 of them is either wrecked or stolen.
    So there is not many foxes in this country.

To compare.... About 1200 of those cars are 65-66 cars.
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

I can't wait to see this finished!
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Quote Originally Posted by 71mach172 View Post
    About 1200 of those cars are 65-66 cars.
    I'll wager that at least close to half of those immigrated in the last 15-20 years.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Cool, looks like you're giving that car the attention it deserves. Is that a foureyed Thunderbird I see as well?

I worked for a Norwegian company a couple of summers ago. It looks like a beautiful country, especially for driving. Some of the guys I talked to were really into muscle cars, I was pretty surprised. Apparently there are really big American car clubs. Just don't drive your car off any ski jumps, OK?
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

Welcome and keep up the nice work.

Great progress so far. This car is gonna be awesome. I love the seats you're using btw. Are they Recaro? I'm also a fan of your number plates. You guys across the pond have the coolest looking number plates.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I can't wait to see this one finished (and keep us posted on the progress).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

There's that guy who sometimes appears on the Gas Monkey show, who comes from Norway and buys up most of the old Cadillacs Richard finds.

Thank you for all the kind words. I will keep this thread posted!
    Thought I could post some pictures of the other foureyes that has been in the family, too...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgener View Post
    Cool, looks like you're giving that car the attention it deserves. Is that a foureyed Thunderbird I see as well?

I worked for a Norwegian company a couple of summers ago. It looks like a beautiful country, especially for driving. Some of the guys I talked to were really into muscle cars, I was pretty surprised. Apparently there are really big American car clubs. Just don't drive your car off any ski jumps, OK?
    Yes, that is a 1986 Thunderbird Élan 5.0. My uncle bought it at an auction in 1988, and owned the car until 2008.
    My father bought the car back in to the family in the spring of 2012. The ground effects has been on the car since it was new in '86, too.

I will post pictures

American Cars are "a big thing" here. American cars are so rare arround here, so the largest car club here, called "amcar" (www.amcar.no), covers all american cars, all years.

The Norwegian Mustang Club (www.norskmustanclub.no), has about a 1000 members.
    I am the secretary in that club.

We got many scenic areas that is nice for driving, here.
    If some of you ever are nearby, let me know, and I'll take you for a cruise! (trying to avoid ski-jumps )

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Great progress so far. This car is gonna be awesome. I love the seats you're using btw. Are they Recaro? I'm also a fan of your number plates. You guys across the pond have the coolest looking number plates.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I can't wait to see this one finished (and keep us posted on the progress).
    Funny you should mention that. We don't have a problem with the license plates arround here, the design itself I think is OK.
    But on the rear of our cars, we don't have room for the plates. And Norwegian rules say that we HAVE TO have one of the two types that is decided by the government. Neither of those fit. So to get them in between the taillights, we have to bend them. And that is not legal
    We have a company in Sweden that makes plates in US-size, and looks just as the legal ones, except the size. But these too are not legal...
    Dilemma.

The seats are Recaro's, yes. But I can't remember where they came from... A buddy of mine has access to a couple of those.
    Nice to sit in, too

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    There's that guy who sometimes appears on the Gas Monkey show, who comes from Norway and buys up most of the old Cadillacs Richard finds.
    Yeah, that's right, hehe. But I think that guy is from Sweden, just across the border..
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

Default Foureyed history...

Well, don't know if I should start a new thread or not.
    Just some pictures of the cars we have had in the family...

My uncle bought this Thunderbird in 1988. It came to Norway as it sits today, except for the wheels

Here is a picture taken last year. My uncle with his back against the camera, and my father all the way to the left in the background.

My first Mustang experience, was a 1979 Mustang Pace Car, that my father bought in '92:

That's me, LOL

That car was sold in 1994, and, tragically, stolen from a later owner and wrecked, in 1996

In 1997, my father bought an '86 Hatchback 2.3 LX four speed:

It was at this time, my father learned that his previous Pace Car had been wrecked. He managed to get a hold of the Pace Car front-end, and the saleen side skirts that he had bought when he had the Pace Car. That was put on the '86:

Sold in 1999, and bought back by me, in 2007.
    It was actually pretty beat up when I got it, and the Pace Car air dam - long gone.
    I fixed the car and took care of some rust, to get it through inspection, and drove it for about two years, until I decided that it was either now or never, to park it for restoration (before the rust was too much). That car, has now been stored in a dry barn since 2009.
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

Welcome Thomas.

That's some serious rust you were dealing with. Looks similar to cars from the "rust belt" part of the States. Credit to you (and your friends) for saving this four-eye. It will be great when you are finished. Keep the pictures coming.

It is interesting that statistics on the number of Mustangs in the country are available.

I have made several business trips to Stavanger, but have never been to Oslo. I always enjoyed my trips to Norway.

American cars: on my last trip (in spring 2014), one evening I sat along the harbor, near where the cruise ships dock, and ate dinner in the outside dining area of a restaurant. It was a pleasant 70 degree F evening. There were many classic American cars cruising by, which I found interesting and entertaining. That, and the Teslas being used for taxis.....
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Very cool, Thomas!
    I always like seeing guys who put the extensive effort into rust repair on the old foxes.
    Enjoyed the family fox history too.
    Keep up the good work!
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

Subscribing. I find it really cool when people overseas like fox mustangs just as much as we do. I would image it takes real dedication to track down parts, and pay the extra fees and taxes just to get the stuff that people in the states have ready access to.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Default It's been a while...

Thank you for all the kind words, guys.

Well, it's been a while... I have been busy with tests to get in to a school...
    BUT, I have gotten time to work on the fox.
    My goal is to have it ready by August 15th. (I have gotten in to that school, and it starts monday, August17th.)

Here is an update, with the progress that has happened since last time...

Since the Mustang hasn't been finished yet, I have gotten time to enjoy the T-Bird as a daily driver for the last few months.
    I think I have driven about 3000 miles in it since then
    Here is a few pictures from after a cruise night in May..
    Original '86 GT T-Top, by the way.

I took the taillights appart, cleaned and painted the lenses, and did the same with the housings. It turned out pretty nice, I think..

I also mounted 87-93 c-pillar windows:

Found a few pics from when I visited a buddy a few miles from home (before it got disassembled, in May 2014).
    He has a Mark VII, 1990 SSP Mustang (he bought the car as an allready rebuilt to drag car), and the Lincoln Aviator you saw in the above pictures.

Two more of the Bird:

Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

Man, it was nice to get some parts back on the car...
    It does so much for your motivation...

I got new plates for the car. As usual, we have to cut or bend it in the back, to get in to fit.
    I chose to cut it. I think I had to remove a total of an inch in the height, to get it in place.

New rear window molding clips from latemodel:

Before I started to put the front end back on, I thougt I'd just mount the headlights, first. But the retainer frames for the headlights, were so ugly. So I used a bit over an hour to polish them:

Finally, the front end, back on the car!

Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

Front fender, back on:

Required headlights in Norway/Europe, where we can put parking lights in them (parking lights have to be white):

Got the front license plate on..

Yesterday, I went to a barbeque with some fox friends. You may have seen the two Notchbacks on the fep facebook page, for those of you that are on facebook..

This was the first drive for me, in over a year, in this car. Fantastic feeling! Even thoug, I drove with nothing else than a dashboard and driver's side front seat...

My friend's 1980 Notchback 2.3 with automatic.. Currently being converted to a 5.0/C4, from his 1979 Notchback on the picture in the bottom....

I have a question for you quys....
    The fuel sending unit, in the 1980 Notchback broke. What sending unit can he use?

Next for me now, is to get the car fully prepped for the winter, at a professional place next tuesday. Then I will put the interior back in.
    This weekend I hope to get some moldings back on...
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

Great looking family of Foxes, your car is looking great!!

Quote Originally Posted by 71mach172 View Post
    I have a question for you quys....
    The fuel sending unit, in the 1980 Notchback broke. What sending unit can he use?
    Don't take this as your final advice, but I think I read here that a sender for an old first-gen Mustang can be adapted, as the resistance ranges are the same. Newer ones are electronically incompatible.

Someone else will chime in with more specificity.

Well, many years since the last update. A have taken a bachelors degree and "grown up"? Not mentally though

I had to sell this car due to finance school. Thought I'd share a few photos from when it was finished. I sold the car in december of 2015. These pictures I believe are taken in spetember/october 2015.

Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

The engine bay could have been cleaned up and detailed, but I did not get that far in the process.

Here's a few interior pics:

Man, I miss this car... It went to a good home, though.
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast