Close

Default 1979 Pace Car - $15,000

Clicky here.

They could have cleaned some of that barn dust off of it.

Name:  1979_Ford_Mustang_Pace_Car.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  94.6 KB

Cool car for sure!

But there are areas of concern for a car that has 9k original miles. The chrome Ford and Turbo emblems are missing, so is the red stripe around the bodyside moldings. That would either indicate the owner personalized the car that way, or it was repainted at some point before it was "found". The rust on the chassis is consistent with a damp dirt floor barn. However the level of corrosion under the hood seems excessive. Perhaps the car was driven in the winter a time or two when it was young. That could explain the corrosion under the hood. I'm just splitting hairs here. Once they get it repainted, detailed, tuned and running good, it should pull a pretty penny.

That paint didn't look that badly faded? And to be in a barn since 2000 and only 9k miles, it should not have needed new paint, carpet, dash pad...ect. That throws the "all original" comment right out the window. For me, I'd rather have it JUST as it came out of the barn for $8-10k and clean it up/go through it myself rather than pay/trust somebody else's judgement and markup for their "restoration" Sun fade can be compounded out and shine nicely, particularly on single stage paint.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Jason, I'm guess they probably paid $8k or more?

Hard to get a good deal from the original owner with 9k miles.

That would have worked for me! If I dragged it out of a barn and it was not rusty and everything appeared to be in check against the 9k miles, I would have brought it home for $8k (if I was in the market of course) and resurrected it over the winter.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I'm impressed that they took on this flip! I mean, if they paid 8k they'd have to sell it as is for 9k just to break even. That's probably why they chose to restore it, hoping they could improve the profit margin.

If they restore it in house like they say, which I think is a terrible idea if it actually had the original paint, then you're talking around $12k to break even. But then it must be all pretty and unnaturally restored. So I agree with you, if it had original paint, I would have just detailed the car and let it live. But I doubt it had original paint. (?)

Just a side thought for enthusiasts. We want to save the original cars if possible because as time goes by more cars will get restored and the original cars regardless of condition will be more rare.

Note: I think the trim black was repainted (thus the missing emblems and belt stripe) but the silver might still be original. If so it's a shame to repaint the whole car just for profit margin.

^^Which is why I have refused to repaint the hood on my '82GT^^ It's not 100pt show condition, but it as it came from the factory, and most of the time at shows the hood is up anyway

Well damn you're fast! My ^^comment was for two posts up.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I'm obviously "curious" that a dealer took on this flip.

I'm both encouraged and apprehensive!

Interesting car. I'd like to see more pictures including interior (front seats) pics...
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I doubt it had original paint, the front bumper matches the fender way too much. I still for the life of me will never figure out why people paint their rubber body side moldings, I have never had a set that wouldn't clean up and have a nice black sheen to them after a good scrub.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Interesting car. I'd like to see more pictures including interior (front seats) pics...
    Well said! That would be a tell tell sign for sure.

Also, where are the dual orange stripes in the body moldings? Those would not roll away in the barn?

Example

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 03-30-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Those are actually molded into the trim, except for the bumpers of course. Still baffles me why people repaint that molding.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Those are actually molded into the trim, except for the bumpers of course. Still baffles me why people repaint that molding.
    Can the paint be removed without damaging the orange insert? Perhaps with lacquer thinner and light rubbing? I've never experimented to see what solvents they can take.