Close

Default 1986 Capri engine swap

i have a 1986 capri 5.0 5 speed and of course I want more power but doesn't seem possible with this year motor so I want to find a newer motor to put in the car I don't feel like rebuilding the motor that's in it so my question is what year motors will fit in my car without changing to much as far as the electronics and all that I want to do a straight swap with a newer motor I also found a 1999 mountaineer 302 for cheap what's the difference between a mustang 302 and that 302 thanks

If you're wanting to stay with the 302, an '87 or so through 91 or so HO will have forged pistons. The Mountaineer has a roller cam like the '85 and up HOs, but it doesn't have the forged pistons.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

The Mountaineer does have much better heads though.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

well I plan to get new heads anyway I just know that the 86 motor that's in it has the flat Pistons so it can't be cammed or anything that's the main reason I want to swap it out

And would a 99 mountaineer motor go right into my car ? I know the intake would probably have to be changed

The mountaineer engine just needs the mustang front cover, cam, accessories and better valve springs and headers. The intake on it is better than what you have on your 86. You will need to mod the throttle body to connect your throttle cable. That is pretty much it as I remember it.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Many of your questions have already been answered, but I will try and add a few more points.

The issues with the 86 EFI setup is that once you start making changes it throws everything else off. As stated the flat tops without valve reliefs will not allow for aggressive camshafts without cutting valve reliefs into the heads. The heads are really poor performance heads and the intake has the smallest ports of any of the 5.0 EFI intakes. So if you want to improve the performance the easiest way is to get rid of the heads and intake setup. You can swap in 87-93 5.0 parts and they are basic bolts-ons. You will still need to cut valve reliefs into the pistons for any aggressive camshaft.

The other option is to swap the entire engine for a 87-93 Mustang 5.0, again a basic bolt in with simple changes. The other option is the Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 engine with GT40/GT40P heads. The pistons are hypereutectic compared to the forged units in your 86, but as long as you aren't running a lot of boost or spray you will be fine. The intake is much better as well as the heads. The camshaft you will most likely want to swap for something more aggressive and you will want to change out the springs on the heads to match the cam. The front timing cover, oil pan, headers, motor mounts, and front accessories from your 5.0 will swap over and be needed for the swap to work best. The GT40P heads sometimes have spark plug clearance issues with certain headers, some don't so just be aware. As stated there will be some changes required due to the slight difference in the intakes in regards to throttle body, EGR, and vacuum lines. Nothing insurmountable, but they can be a pain if you don't plan ahead or are aware of them.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller