Close

Default Header / Exhaust bolts, what dimensions?

Hey all,

Just a quick one - having an engine teardown and rebuild on my 6 cylinder (3.3l / 200ci) 1981 mustang and I need to order new exhaust studs (and source them from a UK/European shop). I don't really fancy taking them out before the build to measure them as I doubt they'll go back in meaning I can't drive it.

Need to know the thread dia & pitch and the length to order some in.

I can only seem to find kits for 5.0 V8s on online stores when I search for "ford exhaust bolts 1981."

Can anyone help me?

Yep. Bellhousing bolts and exhaust manifold bolts are interchangable, the same imperial thread, and length. 2.36" long, or SAE 7/16 - 14 X 2 1/2 inches long should do.

They changed head sizes to a 14 mm spanner size, but the bolts are imperial. The 5.0 bellhousing bolt ones might be the same as your 3.3 C4 ones

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...sing-200-I6-C4

Thanks xctasy! Brilliant information as ever.

Now just trying to find somewhere in the UK that stocks them. My local American parts stock has 5 on the shelf... and obviously I need 11 plus spares.

We will find some somehow though! Cheers

You deserve a medal just for removing them...its very congested on the passenger side with all the EGR, AIR, and primary cat and heat stove flapper, and starter motor and cat shrouds. I had to use an axe on mine to remove the EGR line....

http://vid1215.photobucket.com/album...6/MVI_6819.mp4

3-3/4" 95 MM harmonic balancer remover has the studs in it, I used them when I put my 1963 Falcon cylinder head on my 1981.There are AF/SAE spare bolts in the pack. Its a common Chinese made item, sold everywhere.

Name:  IMG_7029.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  252.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7028.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  59.5 KB

They say only a fooool miss-uses a tooooool.

Name:  IMG_7037.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  93.1 KB

I used them here

Name:  IMG_7139.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7031.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  266.6 KB