Close

Default 86 premium sound radio - green to red?

How do you change the radio backlight color from green to red?
    Thanks!

FEP Senior Member

didnt know that you could change colors, it should be red. Any chance that it was changed ?

You're going to have to open up the head unit (don't ask me how...) to change the light source for the display. It's either just changing the bulb itself, or the bulb color filter.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Which radio are you talking about? The one with the two knobs, or the radio with the LED display?
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

the radio with the led display.... 86 premium sound.
    i got it out of a lincoln, but they had green backlighting.
    I thought there was a bulb cover or something you could buy????

The lens in the faceplate is what gives the display it's color. The actual LED display itself has a white readout.

The Mustangs and Capris were the only Ford/Mercury cars that got the red displays. All other cars that had the same radios had the green displays. Other than the lens color, the faceplate is the same. The lens is not easy to remove. I tried removing one of the green lenses and basically ruined the faceplate. There is a seller on Ebay who sells a replacement red lens that supposedly you can use to replace the green lens. Here's a link to the sellers auction page...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-86-Ford-M...item460c181625

There is another backlight bulb behind the faceplate that you may need to change out to get the red color. I'm not too sure how this bulb gets it's color though. I think it might be from a red filter that goes over the bulb. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

Two other things that you will need to remember about using the radio from the Lincoln. You will need the front and rear mounting brackets for the Mustang. The brackets that are on the Lincoln radio will not work. You will also have to check the rear harness connectors (speaker and power) on the radio and see if they are compatible with the Mustang harness connectors.
    Last edited by tbirdman; 03-22-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Great info.
    Thank you for all the info...

You have to deal with the LED readout, and then you have to deal with the illumination of the faceplate itself.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

FEP Power Member

IIRC when I took my radio appart to clean and service, I think that one bulb pretty much takes care of most if not all of the backlighting
    I'm not 100% sure, but maybe swapping That one green to a red LED could do the trick.

Last edited by TheWizard; 04-22-2015 at 01:44 PM.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.