Close

Default Is it a 84 Dominator?

Ran into this at the shop while dropping off parts. They guy said it's a Dominator, but no Dominator stickers or anything, motor and header swap, 140 speedo, it did have what looked to be an original MSD sticker under the hood, I know some came with the MSD box.

Last edited by 4eyedfoxdriver; 03-21-2015 at 11:56 AM.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

The DSO on that car corresponds to Cincinnati..I thought all Dominators and Predators had Kansas City DSO's (53)? I could be hella wrong though...I don't know much about those cars.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

The dealer that made/sold the Dominators (Summit Ford in Summit, MO) was in DSO 53.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

That's what I thought also , and had noticed. I got a few more pics.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

That also looks like a newer MSD sticker, that relates to his blaster coil. I thought the dominators would have used the FMS ignition equipment (made by MSD for FMS). It looks like a killer fox though...the seats look amazing (if the whole is as good as that little sliver that's exposed). I wish the seats in my car looked that nice (and didn't have part of the metal frame poking me whenever I sit down).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

That 83 hood scoop has some interesting work done to it. The seat upholstery is wrong for an 84. Looks like a fairly nicely modified 84.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Senior Member

those are sport seats, optional in 84. They could also be ford motorsport seats. That hood scoop was only available on turbo gt's in 84. The interior door panels have carpet half way up, like convertibles, with a non stock speaker surround.

The hood has been "modified" and isn't consistent with the way Summit Ford did their work. I have an original 83 Dominator hood and it has the standard OEM opening that some 83's had. I also have a 84 Dominator hood but can't find a pic right now.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

This GT had "Sport" seating but it was the H code seating from 1983.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The two tone gray with red piping is not original to an 84. They would have been solid gray. I was just saying the actual fabric was wrong.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

The seats do look to be in good shape, but the dash has been butchered. Overall the car is nice, but I'm not sure I'd rather have it over my 83, unless I can be pretty sure it's a dominator, which I'm leaning toward it not being. But who knows, maybe we'll all learn something we don't know, or the car's owner will.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy1500 View Post
    those are sport seats, optional in 84. They could also be ford motorsport seats. That hood scoop was only available on turbo gt's in 84. The interior door panels have carpet half way up, like convertibles, with a non stock speaker surround.
    Like Foxchassis said, sport seats could be had in 84, but those are 85/86 sport seats. The Motorsport seats are identical to SVO seats except for the Motorsport logo (which is embossed in the top of the center section, unless your username is Blue86...and you have the prototype Motorsport seats with the much cooler looking stitched logo) and the headrests. Motorsport seats have halo headrests, as opposed to the log style that the stock SVO seats have.

Motorsport seats rule!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I see people already beat me to the punch. Not likely its a Dominator. Because yes it must be DSO 53. But that alone does not mean its a Dominator!
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

So is there anyway this could be a Dominator? I hate to tell the guy it's not without being 100% sure. But maybe I'll approach it like, unless he has definitive proof that it is, it can't be proved that it is, so it I have to assume it's not.

Unless he has definitive proof I am willing to say it is not. The items I see in no way make me think its a Dominator. 84's would have had a 82 front facing scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    So is there anyway this could be a Dominator? I hate to tell the guy it's not without being 100% sure. But maybe I'll approach it like, unless he has definitive proof that it is, it can't be proved that it is, so it I have to assume it's not.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

I remember us talking about this car before. . I remember the decals in the hood compartment. . Ill see if I can find the thread

I want to know what's been done to the door panel.

Thanks for the input guys, I knew where to come to to get the facts. I'll love to see some more info on this car. If I can get it right I might still consider it. It's got some sort of motor vibration happening so it can't really be driven.

The door panel is setup for speakers, it's got like a box built on top of the original panel.

Only 1983 and early 1984 convertibles had factory door speakers. Then mid 1984 convertibles got speakers behind the rear quarter trim.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder