Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saleen 86-0063

I found this pic of your car online, so I figured I would post it up. Guess how I could tell it's yours? Lol, that strange bumper number placement came in handy for id purposes...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  84.7 KB
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I was the first guy who bought this car years ago (probably 5-6) from a LONG-TERM owner living back East with the car being still out West in Colorado with his brother. GREAT ole car when I bought the car.

I sold the car and it has had 6-8 owners since that time 5-6 years ago. For whatever reason nobody seemed to love this good car and it has been through lot's of owners since my purchase from the long-term "maybe" original owner (can't remember). I am sure I still have paperwork about this car in a file somewhere.

The picture you have posted above I believe is from the Saleen show at the Ford dealer in Indianapolis Ind.
    Last edited by vintageracer; 04-08-2015 at 08:11 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

I sold the car and it has had 6-8 owners since that time 5-6 years ago. For whatever reason nobody seemed to love this good car and it has been through lot's of owners since my purchase from the long-term "maybe" original owner (can't remember).
    Wonder why? Looks to be a nice car... missing any of the hard to find pieces???
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

I need a set of those headlight covers!!!!

Vintage - were the bumper numbers placed like that when you owned the car?
    86-64

2002-168

FEP Senior Member

Its odd how some Saleen cars have so many owners over a few years time. Usually, there's nothing wrong with the car either. I think this furthers the notion the Saleen Mustang is a legit collector car.

I probably log less than 500 miles annually on the three I own, due to the risk of getting hit by a texting driver. Mostly they sit in the garage. It makes sense that others do the same, and end up selling the car because of lack of use.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Wonder why? Looks to be a nice car... missing any of the hard to find pieces???
    I'm pretty sure (from his into thread) that the car was complete. With 86's there are some hard to find items (stereo, speakers, headlight covers, etc) but as long as it isn't an 86 that came with 85 ground effects, most items can be found relatively easily (not cheap though). More so now that Saleen is selling the 86 ground effects and decals again.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Car was complete down to the Kenwood radio and speaker covers. Number on front bumper was crooked. I purchased the headlight covers NOS from a friend here in Nashville as originals missing. I replaced all the seals in the AC system along with the orifice tube and accumulator and A/C blew ice cubes. Mostly original paint as I remember. I think 1 panel repainted in past. Car had some original documentation with it then.

Great car that ran and drove great back then. As I remember I put about 1K miles on the car.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

VR, when you say the bumper numbers were crooked, do you mean they look just like they do today (and in the pic I posted)?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    I was the first guy who bought this car years ago (probably 5-6) from a LONG-TERM owner living back East with the car being still out West in Colorado with his brother. GREAT ole car when I bought the car.

I sold the car and it has had 6-8 owners since that time 5-6 years ago. For whatever reason nobody seemed to love this good car and it has been through lot's of owners since my purchase from the long-term "maybe" original owner (can't remember). I am sure I still have paperwork about this car in a file somewhere.

The picture you have posted above I believe is from the Saleen show at the Ford dealer in Indianapolis Ind.
    You sure is was #86-0063? Guy I bought it from said he had had it since 2008 I was also told there was only 3 previous but that could have been just the guy trying to sell the car

Run a carfax and that will give you some info on number of owners. It doesn't really matter though...your car is in much (much) better shape than mine and I'm the 3rd owner. The guy I got it from literally drove it home from California and then took it apart so he didn't even have any real time behind the wheel. I've had the car for a year and a half and I've literally driven it 5 times for a total of about 5 miles so it was only the original owner that's actually used my car...and again, yours is in much (much) better condition.

So whether it's 3, 8,10, or 100 previous owners , it really doesn't matter.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Run a carfax and that will give you some info on number of owners. It doesn't really matter though...your car is in much (much) better shape than mine and I'm the 3rd owner. The guy I got it from literally drove it home from California and then took it apart so he didn't even have any real time behind the wheel. I've had the car for a year and a half and I've literally driven it 5 times for a total of about 5 miles so it was only the original owner that's actually used my car...and again, yours is in much (much) better condition.

So whether it's 3, 8,10, or 100 previous owners , it really doesn't matter.
    No I'm not that worried about the owner number. To me its just a Mustang the fact that its a Saleen is just a plus!

got tired of the LOOOONG shift with the stock shifter. Slapped on a Pro5.0 I had laying around feels and looks alot better

Have you had a chance to scan the documents you have for the car? I am especially curious to see the number of units for DSO 71-0071 and the list of parts on the Ford Special Equipment Parts List. Can you take a pic of the buck tag(s)? Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by 1meanmach View Post

got tired of the LOOOONG shift with the stock shifter. Slapped on a Pro5.0 I had laying around feels and looks alot better
    Your interior looks really clean.
    Congrats on the purchase.
    How do you like that Pro 5.0 shifter?
    I have one and I was planning on putting it on my 86 Saleen but haven't had a chance to do it.
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba View Post
    Your interior looks really clean.
    Congrats on the purchase.
    How do you like that Pro 5.0 shifter?
    I have one and I was planning on putting it on my 86 Saleen but haven't had a chance to do it.
    I haven't had a chance to drive it since the install but I have had pro50's on previous cars and I like them better than the other shifters out there

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Have you had a chance to scan the documents you have for the car? I am especially curious to see the number of units for DSO 71-0071 and the list of parts on the Ford Special Equipment Parts List. Can you take a pic of the buck tag(s)? Thanks.
    I'm sorry I have the stack of files sitting right behind my desk at work but haven't had a chance to scan them yet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12