Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Great thread! Pretty much now know why both windows rattle and shake when I roll them down. I'm guessing since my car is a '78 it'll probably have the plastic brackets vs. the metal ones. And as luck would have it our local Pull-A-Part scrapped an '83 Marquis before I had a chance to check it out. We don't get many Fox bodies in the boneyards up here in n.e Ohio, they all rusted into oblivion years ago.
    I feel your pain. I'll let you know if I find another source!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

That's quite all right, yeah I found out today that they don't fit. I'll order the correct ones. I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Thanks, Flyin'! Just ordered 4 of the bushings!

Edit: Got 4 in case I find a driver's side bracket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Box Top View Post
    That's quite all right, yeah I found out today that they don't fit. I'll order the correct ones. I appreciate your help.
    Glad I could help guys! I've gleaned a lot of good information from this site, so I'm just trying to give back and earn my keep....
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

Here's my own before and after

Once I got it apart, it still wasn't that clear that that was the problem (I didn't have my metal one yet), but if you compare them side by side, it becomes obvious. I'm really happy to have that solved. I've started working on my power window conversion!

Since I started doing this myself, I've heard from a few other guys with early cars they have floppy windows too. Design FAIL with that plastic bracket, for sure.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The driver's window on my LTD is pretty wobbly. This thread was helpful. I'm guessing I already have the metal bracket but I bet the square bushing is toast. I really need to pull my driver's door off and fix several things.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Brad you don't happen to have a part number or the technical name for the metal bracket do you? I have the same issue with my passenger door window.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmont View Post
    Brad you don't happen to have a part number or the technical name for the metal bracket do you? I have the same issue with my passenger door window.
    The part number is E3BZ-5423288-A

As far as I know, they can't be had new. All the Ford Parts site shows is window motors. I've seen them called window brackets and glass brackets. And hey, look what I found

I put the part # into google and had a bunch of stuff come up I'll have to check out. I wonder how a guy could extrapolate the driver's side? Parts gurus?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here's another passenger side one. Doesn't help me though!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1981-198...item5b025bfef1
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

SSSSSIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHH The things you find after you don't need them anymore. I even posted in it!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...fairmont-wagon

At least I now have the driver's side part number! it's E3BZ-5423289-A
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well guys, I did some more looking around, and these things ARE out there. First I tried eBay, no luck for a driver's side one. Then I tried putting the part number into Google. Lots of listings come up that are various Ford Parts pages, dealers and such, that pretty much tell you "yes, that is a Ford part, but no, you cannot buy one". There's a useful page though called rearcounter.com that seems to be a kind of broker for other companies that sell NOS parts. One is Green Sales out of Cincinnati.

I found one at NOS Parts LTD. I had an inquiry in to Green Sales, but they weren't getting back to me, so I got antsy. I decided to try the Granada part number, which is the same part. Not that I ever cared whether they were NOS or not, but that seems to be what's readily available, and for reasonable money too! They both cost me about $30. Here's a recap of the part numbers.

E1DZ-5423288-A Granada Right Side
    E3BZ-5423288-A LTD Right Side

E1DZ-5423289-A Granada Left Side
    E3BZ-5423289-A LTD Left Side

These are the SAME PART, LTD or Granada, just different part number for different models.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    The part number is E3BZ-5423288-A. I wonder how a guy could extrapolate the driver's side? Parts gurus?
    Parts guru here (25 years in Ford parts) Replace that last 8 with a 9 and that's your left side p/n.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Thanks! Definitely check out that rearcounter.com for brackets for your car!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, here's the proof the Granada piece is the same. I ordered this sight unseen using E1DZ-5423289-A, and here's what I got in the mail today

I imagine they started using this metal bracket across the board in '81 because the plastic ones wouldn't stand up to power window duty and they expected most Granada/Cougars to be equipped with power windows.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Excellent! Time to order a pair for my Boxtop, tired of rolling down rattly windows.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Awesome read. Just getting ready to replace my passenger glass and was wondering what might help the rattle.

FEP Senior Member

What an awesome read, quite a bit of work ,at the comp, and on the car to come to this end. I'll be trying to find a couple of the metal ones my self.
    Thanks for all the input.
    jim
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

FYI, guys. For some stupid reason i decided to pop out the bushings that came with the glass bracket on the driver's door and put the convertible ones i got from LMR in. DON'T DO THAT. If your glass bracket comes with bushings, leave them in. My driver's door glass is as loose as ever.

As far as i can tell, the only solution would be to either buy another glass bracket and use the bushings that come with that one, or rig up a bracket with felt on it that holds the window solid when it's down, kind of like convertible/t-tops have. Another thing i thought of is maybe try and make window tracks, but i imagine they would need a very specific curvature, and since these never had tracks all the way up to the '86 LTD, there probably isn't really a way to do that.

Long story short, the convertible bushings from LMR did not work out for me.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12