Close

Default Opinions wanted on 1984 GT COnvertible

Looking at a 1984 Mustang GT Convertible, and have a few questions...
    1 - It seems to have "LX" seats, not the bolstered ones I thought the GT got.
    (It also has roll-up windows, and 14-inch wheels) Were these seats the base ones?
    2 - It's exhaust is the 2-pipe on the driver's side...is that what it should have?

It's all original (except the new top) and not modified, no rust, 5-speed. 110K miles.
    Red with red inside, and a black top.

I sold my 1986 GT convertible a couple years ago (it needed a top, heater core, clutch, and
    other things- and have been kicking myself ever since.

What would be a good price to pay for this, and is it a desirable car for anyone besides me?
    Are there performance parts I can put onto an 84 to get it up to the 85/86 GT level?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  1984GT.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  49.9 KBName:  1984GTa.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  1.1 KB

It's nice. Post the buck tag and door sticker pics. Someone can decode. It's a stripper, like mine sounds like, but original I'm sure. Looks nice, I have t tops though, wheels where standard, I think nicer than TRX wheels myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MatteoLC View Post
    Looking at a 1984 Mustang GT Convertible, and have a few questions...
    1 - It seems to have "LX" seats, not the bolstered ones I thought the GT got.
    (It also has roll-up windows, and 14-inch wheels) Were these seats the base ones?
    2 - It's exhaust is the 2-pipe on the driver's side...is that what it should have?

It's all original (except the new top) and not modified, no rust, 5-speed. 110K miles.
    Red with red inside, and a black top.

I sold my 1986 GT convertible a couple years ago (it needed a top, heater core, clutch, and
    other things- and have been kicking myself ever since.

What would be a good price to pay for this, and is it a desirable car for anyone besides me?
    Are there performance parts I can put onto an 84 to get it up to the 85/86 GT level?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  1984GT.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  49.9 KBName:  1984GTa.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  1.1 KB
    The bolstered seats or sport seats were an option on GTs. Those 14" wheels were the standard GT rims as well. All 84 GTs had the 2 on the left exhaust. 85 was the first year they split the pipes to each side. Looks like a nice car if it runs well. Good luck.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Thanks guys...

Just got an Email from the owner: "car needs a heater core (currently bypassed), has a 'small oil seep at front main seal...or oil pan', and it smells of fuel inside sometimes after driving." I know a heater core is a pain to get done, and the oil seep doesn't sound good. He's asking $3400. Not sure about that...

If it was a non ac car, the heater core is behind the glove box, just take it off and the heater core cover is right there. You have to check the door sticker. Yeah $3400 is rich, I would try $2800 to be fair I think. Keep finding the flaws, price comes down, but nice paint. All there too, parts prices add up, especially og.
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 03-13-2015 at 12:05 AM.

This is nice...

I can definitely vouch about the low back vinyl seats being the standard option on an 84 GT. Mine is all original and that's what they were spec'd with from the factory unless you had the optional sport seat. If he car has A/C, then replacing the heater core will be a bugger. That's why I bypassed mine. Dual tip single exhaust is the norm. I love how mine looks, but replacements for the dual tip that look exactly like the stock version are hard to find. If it's in good condition, hang onto it, or pass it on to someone else that needs one.

As for pricing, I wouldn't pay more than 3,000. If the seller's at 3,400, it's not a big sacrifice for him. Except he oil leak (which is kind of common for an an older car) and the heater core, I'd say it was a good buy.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

My bad, I thought it was a GT Turbo...
    Last edited by TopGear85; 03-13-2015 at 02:01 AM.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Low back seats like the 87-93 LX seats were standard in cloth. Vinyl was an upgrade for less than $30 (but mandatory with white seats) and the articulated sport seats were extra like said above. Looks like a nice car with some typical Mustang issues and I'd think $3,000 would be a good price, if you can fix the heater core yourself. If the front seal is leaking, that is an easy fix, but more than likely it is the timing chain cover which isn't bad to do either provided the water pump bolts aren't stuck.

The luggage rack was added and the GT decal on the hood should be red, so it looks like maybe some paint work was done to at least the hood.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

I second the luggage rack. I can't tell in the photo if that is a rack or the steps behind it. My 84 had power front windows and manual rear. Is the rear window glass (should be) or plastic?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

I noted that it doesn't have fog lights and spats, so it must be an early manufacture 1984 model.
    Bryan

Thanks for all the input! This is the best car-forum I've ever been on...

I'm gonna still go check it out on Saturday, but will see how flexible he is on price.
    This heater core (it has a/c) might be more than I want to mess with - as it isn't as fun
    to cruise in the fall without heat. Funny, I bypassed the htr core on my 86 GT Conv. also.

I agree with all of the above opinions. It sounds like a base early 84 GT convertible. My 84 has the the single exhaust with dual tips and low back vinyl seats. Looks like a good deal if it's not a rust box. The mechanical issues are easier to fix than rust.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Looks like a decent car with signs that is was well kept. Rarely see nice original wagon wheels and original one side duel chrome exhaust tips. Oddity with so many std options, most conv were high option cars. Sounds like someone wanted an austere 5 speed roadster! Not a bad price if it doesn't have rust issues, but, if you really want an 85/86 I would pass and wait on a good one. You won't be happy in the long run settling for something you really don't want.

I looked at this car last Sunday. Brought it home today.

The only factory options it has is Air, Tinted Glass, Interval Wipers, AM/FM Multiplex, Premium Sound. It was a dealer order, produced 11/10/83. The car is totally rust-free. As rust-free as my California 81 Hatch. The car runs and drives great. Gas smell is bad, fuel leak at acc pump on carb. The heater core will need to be changed. I froze my butt driving it 20 miles home in the March Michigan weather. The oil leak is small, from the front, not a big deal to me. I've left bigger leaks alone, but will fix it if easy. The seller was really nice and seemed very honest. It was originally a Colorado car. He bought it from there in 2000, sold it to his nephew in South Dakota, then bought it back and now sold it to me. I did a CarFax and his story checked out. The luggage rack is silver, looks to be added. The rear window is glass, top was replaced, looks new.

I just wanted a convertible or t-top car that was a 5.0 5spd, my 255/auto 81 hatch just wasn't doing it for me. I'll post the buck tag for Foxchassis to decode tomorrow. The door tag is unreadable. Still exploring the car, but looks totally original, except the driver's fender was repainted. Wish it had tilt, I might add it. Just gonna detail it and enjoy it this summer. May put my TRXs on it.

Name:  at home.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  99.9 KB

A nice match for my 1984 F150 Flareside that I bought last December.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  147.3 KB
    Last edited by mustangmania; 03-19-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

Awesome addition - congrats!!! More pictures please ( when you have time )
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Looks like a score!
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Awesome addition - congrats!!! More pictures please ( when you have time )
    Yes, more pictures. Congrats on the new 84!
    Bryan

Realy nice 84. Congrats!

Nice! Now I'm jealous... ;-)
    How much are you selling your 81 for?

I like the wheels
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Now that I bought the car, I started a new Show & Tell thread. Let's close this thread and post there.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...59#post1720559

Thanks for looking!
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops