Close

Default help with gauges!!

I have a 1986 Capri 5.0. I'm having an issue with the temperature gauge and the oil pressure gauge. My temperature gauge reads extremely high sometimes it will sit right above the L on NORMAL and I have seen it very briefly go out of normal and touch High.The oil pressure gauge reads low it usually sits around the N and O in NORMAL. Should I really be concerned that my motor might have a major isssue it runs and drives great I drove it around today for a few hours while I was house shopping like that and nothing unusual happened engine wise. I just order a dual pillar pod and gauges so I'll know how it really is running but has anyone else heard of the gauges acting this was and reading this high?

Sounds like the Instrument Voltage Regulator. Or maybe a bad ground, I don't think it is your engine.

I'm hoping that's all it is i ment to say that today while driving it a few hours when the temp gauge climbed up to L the oil pressure also went up in between the R and M.

Ussual weird readings when that goes out. Check your ground strap from block to firewall. Had that break once, caused weird instrument readings, still have issues with gas gauge since.

When IVRs start failing, it effects the fuel gauge, temp gauge and oil pressure. So... if one gauge reads high, they should all be reading high.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Mine was a ground issue, but I think it messed up my sending unit in the gas tank. All my gauges would only act up when the lights were on.

Just an update I installed some mechanical gauges today and my temp is 190 consistantly I drove it for almost an hour and it never really moved...mustangxtreme my fuel gauge and volt gauge don't read high but my temperature did and it's actually right where it should be so I don't think your theory is correct

Whatever the deal is, I remember freaking out like you did with your temperature gauge. I was cruising with my wife and I believe just using the turn signals and braking made the temp shoot to the right. I tried not to show may panic, as my wife would just say I have been throwing away my money on my car. I pulled over, popped the hood, and literally placed my hand on the radiator, the top part. My hand should have been burned, but it was very cool to the touch, so it could not be the problem.