Close

Default How rare are t-top coupe's?

I was just on craigslist, looking for parts, in one of the photo's of a parts listing, seems to be a t-top coupe being parted out.
    looks like just a shell at this point but would that be worth enquiring about?
    thanks guys.

Name:  00e0e_8B7usOI7yYW_600x450.jpg
Views: 7316
Size:  45.9 KB
    Last edited by Mousemate; 03-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)

They have a following. I can't believe someone is parting that one out since they sell quickly, it looks solid. Looks to be an 83-84 by the hood.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Look in the 'sticky' at the top of the Production Numbers & Decoding forum. There are T-roof coupe production numbers there.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Look in the 'sticky' at the top of the Production Numbers & Decoding forum. There are T-roof coupe production numbers there.
    perfect
    thank you
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)

Yes i would save that car if at all possible!!!

Those production numbers are only for conversion done through Ford assembly (handled by Cars & Concepts in Brighton, MI). They do not obviously cover conversions done after the car was delivered to the dealer or owner (also done by C&C, or any aftermarket roof converter using a C&C kit, or parts from a salvaged car).

Conversions done through Ford assembly will have a code on the door tag, buck tag, build sheet, and owner card. Any other conversion will not have those codes.

The only way to tell by the VIN alone is to have Marti Auto run a report.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-03-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Imo, only factory V8 ttop coupes would be worth saving from an investment standpoint. Otherwise you would be saving just for the love (nothing wrong with that). I can't see 4 cylinder ttop coupes being very valuable, besides as a V8 conversion candidate.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

It would be interesting to know how many V8 T-roof coupes were made each year, but that would require another round of research by Marti Auto.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Arrrggg!! I hate it when people part out nice or rare cars!

Rare if its factory tr car

4 cyl t top coupes have a certain following...

It would be nice to know the production numbers based on engine type

That car would probably be worth saving depending how much they want for it
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I remember FEP user "airplanedriver" had a similar looking one for sale sometime back (I hope it isn't his)...

Shhooottt! Four cylinder or not, I love an old notch, especially a T-top. Who would do such a thing unless it's stolen or lost tittle with no hope of being salvageable would I do this. Unless it was a restore gone wrong, maybe who knows. I would buy it still.

As a owner of a 81' TTop Coupe (original 4 cyl) I've gotta say that they aren't as rare as I thought. I actually stumbled upon mine, by just searching ebay for 1979-1993 Mustang Coupes, luckily the owner didn't word his listing in away that made it pop-up on a simple search, so no one was really looking at it. When I saw it I thought it must have been some aftermarket job, however it wasn't. After a quick google search I found out alot about these cars. I called one of my friends who's owned over 30 Fox Bodies (79-93) and asked what he thought; his exact words: "a TTop Coupe, is one of the rarest Fox Bodies Mustangs" so I jumped on it. Needless to say I'm absolutely in Love with this car, I parted with it awhile back for financial reasons, but I never could get this car off my mind or out my heart! To my surprise the guy that I sold it to, wanted the car basically for the "race" setup I had installed (Dart Block, Race Suspension, Race Tremec T-5, Wheels etc.) anyway he calls me up and asked if I wanted the car back, before he hung up I was on my way with my car trailer! After a year of labor & love, I now have the car of my dreams. Since I originally bought mine several others have been restored or revived, they're not as common as a GT TTop, Pace Car or SVO, but they're not as rare as I thought, if someone is looking for the super rare Mustang, I'd be surprised if it was a 79-93 Mustang, personally they're my favorite Mustang, but I'm sure when it comes to dollars and cents, 1st Gen. takes the lion share. If you can buy the car and save it, Please O'please do, you'll be so glad that you did. My car is in no way better than some of the quality restoration cars I've seem on here, but I must admit that whenever I'm in it or I'm in a parking lot, I get stopped or someone hunks their horn at me, it's a cool feeling to know that little ol'me has a piece of FORD Mustang history.
    richard3rd

1965 Coupe
    1966 Convertible
    1983 GT w/T-Top
    1984 & 85 Convertible
    1988 GT w/T-Top
    1988, 89 & 91 LX Coupe
    2001 GT
    1981 T-Top Coupe (Current & Last!)

So around 5K ttop coupes were made, according to Marti's statistics (that's across all trim levels and engines). So not a lot by any means, but not rare either. I still think the ttop coupes with factory V8's will be the only ones worth collecting (by worth I'm talking from a value standpoint).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

It's funny to me how everyone likes different things. Everyone is nuts over T tops and notches, but put the two together and people go absolutely nuts. I thought the reason everyone wanted a notch was light weight and stiffness? T tops sort of negate that. Me, I'd rather have a solid roof hatch but I have one with a sunroof instead.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    So around 5K ttop coupes were made, according to Marti's statistics (that's across all trim levels and engines).
    Over the course of four model years the production total statistic, courtesy of Marti Auto Works, is 6,009.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I guess I like them because I had a 79 notch, now a TTop 83, it would be best of both worlds for me having two of my favs in one. Although Ttops are a real pain, nice on sunny days and a little more secure than soft top.