Name:  IMG_0084 (1).JPG
Views: 587
Size:  91.2 KB
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Hmm. I see 6 cylinders and a factory looking oil filter but not sure exactly.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Looks like an Aussie six bangher.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    Looks like an Aussie six bangher.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well that did not take long. Well done!

Was at my local engine core supplier the other day and saw this this way in the middle of the cores stored inside. I was perplexed for a little bit and even more after I called my Ford dealer with the engine tag # and several casting numbers and none of them came up good numbers. I never dreamed that it was what it was.

Did some googleing and found out it is a 98-02 4.0 intech 6.

The neat thing is that it is BRAND NEW. It is also fully dressed ready to plug in to a Falcon, or something.

I have already contact Xctacy and he has provided a plethora of information about it.

Not sure where it is going to end up but I am positive it will be the cause of some head scratching once it is done.

Steve
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Alright! Only reason I knew that is I was looking for mods for my 200 six and learned how much better 6 the Aussie hot rods have.

86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

I saw that build a wile back, but never a vid of the car. Way unique build, love it!
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyl Cat View Post

The neat thing is that it is BRAND NEW. It is also fully dressed ready to plug in to a Falcon, or something.

I have already contact Xctacy and he has provided a plethora of information about it.
    Can't believe Xctasy would have any info. Lol. Nice find Steve

Neat!
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Cool! I don't know anything about these engines, but from the looks of it you can build a wicked 2JZ/RB26 killer out of it.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

That is the plan. I am thinking maybe a boxtop fairmont as the lucky recipient because if I put it in my Crimson Cat I am sure several of you will hunt me down and torture me to death.

My dad has the boxtop sitting already and he will never use it.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Doesn't look much like an Intech 4.0 in that picture!

Perhaps you should go back to the supplier and ask for the other half...

Despite only six cylinders, a modified Aussie I6 is the perfect engine for any Ford lover.

I don't think many would mind a Mercury Capri with a stout I6 in it, you'd really mess people up real good.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well that did not take long. Well done!

Was at my local engine core supplier the other day and saw this this way in the middle of the cores stored inside. I was perplexed for a little bit and even more after I called my Ford dealer with the engine tag # and several casting numbers and none of them came up good numbers. I never dreamed that it was what it was.

Not sure where it is going to end up but I am positive it will be the cause of some head scratching once it is done.

Steve
    Does he have any more of these engines laying around? I've been looking for one of these for awhile.

Looking at the pictures, you have a 4.0L from an EF Falcon. The EF engine does not have a distributor, using a cam sensor and coil pack for ignition. The EL engine has a fully counterweighted crank, 12 counterweights as opposed to the earlier engines; very smooth running but heavy. The EF is fitted with a broadband manifold (BBM). The ECU of these engines fires a vacuum solenoid to operate butterfly valves within the manifold to change the runner length from long to short at 3800rpm.
    The engine is rated at 157KW, or 210HP.

Did you get the ECU with the engine? If not, you'll have to get one from Australia, or use Megasquirt.
    The bellhousing was also changed from the previous high mount starter on the right side of the block to the left side.
    I do not know of any Fords in the US that use the same bellhousing, you will have to get one from Australia to run a T5. The automatic for this engine is a 4spd OD made by Borg Warner, model BW45.

If you don't want to mess with getting all the pieces to put this engine in, I'll take it off your hands.
    I could even do a trade with you on a Aussie 4.1L Crossflow with original 34 Weber ready to install with either a 4spd or C4 bellhousing.
    I also have several different cams, valve covers, intakes, and header for the Crossflow to entice you.

Just let me know.

Dan
    Last edited by rocklord; 03-05-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocklord View Post
    Does he have any more of these engines laying around? I've been looking for one of these for awhile.

Looking at the pictures, you have a 4.0L from an EF Falcon. The EF engine does not have a distributor, using a cam sensor and coil pack for ignition. The EL engine has a fully counterweighted crank, 12 counterweights as opposed to the earlier engines; very smooth running but heavy. The EF is fitted with a broadband manifold (BBM). The ECU of these engines fires a vacuum solenoid to operate butterfly valves within the manifold to change the runner length from long to short at 3800rpm.
    The engine is rated at 157KW, or 210HP.

Did you get the ECU with the engine? If not, you'll have to get one from Australia, or use Megasquirt.
    The bellhousing was also changed from the previous high mount starter on the right side of the block to the left side.
    I do not know of any Fords in the US that use the same bellhousing, you will have to get one from Australia to run a T5. The automatic for this engine is a 4spd OD made by Borg Warner, model BW45.

If you don't want to mess with getting all the pieces to put this engine in, I'll take it off your hands.
    I could even do a trade with you on a Aussie 4.1L Crossflow with original 34 Weber ready to install with either a 4spd or C4 bellhousing.
    I also have several different cams, valve covers, intakes, and header for the Crossflow to entice you.

Just let me know.

Dan
    Actually I talked with the fine folks at EEC tuning.org and got the suggestion to run a CDAN4 strategy ECU from a 3.8 mustang. If the crank and cam outputs match I can tune it with Binary editor. If that gets too goofy I will megasquirt it.

Also, he said he bought two of them so I crawled thru every inch of the building (and it is a huge building) but never found another one.

Steve
    Last edited by Ethyl Cat; 03-05-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Thats the AU Intech, or late EL 2. They had no distributor. Ford EF had so many aftermarket cam grind, and LPG conversion probeMs with the early semi EDIS system, they put the distributor back in, and went back to EECIV for almost one whole model, the EL. The last EL's got then went EECV, and EDIS, and it was a pre AU Falcon Intech engine internally.

There was never a problem with the distributorless Fords, they just made it hard for the 35% of all cars which were sold as taxis to be converted to Propane. Any wild cam shaft would upset the EECV pulsewidths, and cause probelms.

We've all moved on. TI makes a hot chip upgrade from the standard box code XR6 ECU.

You're right xctasy about it being either an AU or late EL 2.
    After another look at the pix, I see a dummy drive in the distributor hole instead of a sensor.
    Leaning more towards it being an AU since it has the temp sensor in the back of the head, instead of the thermostat housing.
    Plus, Steve told me that it has an aluminum sump, an AU item.

I see it marked with red paint.
    A common QC procedure used to mark scrap.

FEP Member

Thats a great find! the aussies sure have us beat on their inline 6 vs ours.
    500+rwhp svo
    My project

Mike1157

Actually I talked with the fine folks at EEC tuning.org and got the suggestion to run a CDAN4 strategy ECU from a 3.8 mustang. If the crank and cam outputs match I can tune it with Binary editor. If that gets too goofy I will megasquirt it.

Also, he said he bought two of them so I crawled thru every inch of the building (and it is a huge building) but never found another one.

Steve
    For the record. If for whatever reason you decide to sell the engine. let me know please. (Looking for a potential replacement for my JB Welda-6 if something goes wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    For the record. If for whatever reason you decide to sell the engine. let me know please. (Looking for a potential replacement for my JB Welda-6 if something goes wrong)
    If your Frankenstein Crossflow doesn't work right, I could sell you one of my 250 Crossflow blocks.
    Everything on your engine would switch over (except for the pushrods) and would alleviate the coolant flow concerns.
    Last edited by rocklord; 03-18-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by rocklord View Post
    If your Frankenstein Crossflow doesn't work right, I could sell you one of my 250 Crossflow blocks.
    Everything on your engine would switch over (except for the pushrods) and would alleviate the coolant flow concerns.
    Isn't the cross flow bellhousing pattern different?, and isn't the starter on the opposite side of the engine? And IDK if I could get the roller lifters in there w/o cutting the side open like I had to do on my 250.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast