Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Doing each letter individually sounds so risky. If one letter is tilted, you have to buy a new banner anyway. I have not tackled it, yet, so cannot offer any advice. I would ask around on the Saleen Facebook groups before taking that step. Most of the guys that have been around a while have pretty much abandoned the forums. I have heard of people cutting slits into the banner to assist with alignment.

Man you are coming along nicely!! By the way you need a minimum of 2 people and preferred 3 to apply those graphics along the bottom of the door.
    86-64

2002-168

Windshield banner is on!

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Looking good Mike!! I love seeing these cars come back to life
    86-64

2002-168

Btw, I didn't end up cutting each letter out individually. I cut some of the backer paper off the top (so the graphic could sit flat on the glass as opposed to some having to extend up and over the trim), but otherwise I installed it as one piece.

When I laid the decal over my burn in marks it lined up perfectly, including those letters that I thought were messed up. I still think they look strange, but they must have been done like that to compensate for the curve in the glass...so I left things as I got them.

I think it looks cool and it's in the same spot as the original way...so that's cool too!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Turned out really well.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Thanks Bluemax!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by 2002-168 View Post
    Looking good Mike!! I love seeing these cars come back to life
    Thanks, and I totally agree. Honestly I can't believe the impact a few decals and some charcoal paint have made. The car is night and day from when I first trailered it home.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Here's what she looked like when I brought it home:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Before and after...
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Wow Mike. Looking SWEET!!!!
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I'm really struggling with these rocker stripes and I don't know what to do? I have a combination of problems and that's what has me worried. First my ground effects aren't all exactly the same height, so transitions from one piece of graphic to the next are very difficult. Second, the backer paper border around the actual decals isn't even throughout. This makes it hard to judge where the actual graphic is going to go. If the border was even I could use it to get the spacing right, but it isn't...and actually it gets in the way in some of the tighter areas (like the front corner of the doors).

If I had money I would be paying a pro to do this, but that just isn't an option. I want to make sure the top line of each side is level because if it isn't i think it will be obvious, but because each piece of ground effect isn't level doing this is almost impossible.

I have no idea what to do?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Remember what I had suggested using soapy water to aid in moving the decal into place and then squeegee the water out from under the decal.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

My problem is figuring out how to make them look straight and nice with all the curves and general unevenness of my car. I have application gel to help keep things slick (works better than soapy water cause it won't dry out. It stays slick until I'm ready to squeegee it out).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Can you trim some of the excess backing paper? Set the desired distance from the moulding, and trim all extra with a straight edge and exacto knife. That should allow you to get close.

Ok so I still haven't installed the rocker stripes and here's why. One decal just won't line up and it's bothering the heck out of me. I need the top of each decal to make as close to a straight line as possible, so when you look down the side of the car each decal is straight. The problem I'm having is with the decals that go in front of the rear wheels. To me it seems like both are too short.

Here's some pics, let me know if I'm missing something obvious:

Pic #1:
    Here it is lined up with the door graphic. See the gap at the top. I can see traces from my original decals and they wrapped into the wheel arch (all three stripes wrapped around), so they were long enough to go straight across that part of the ground effect (so they kept the straight line).

Pic #2:
    Here's that same decal placed so the line at the top is straight across, but see the gap between the door graphic and this one? It seems huge and there isn't a gap like that on the front wheel graphic. It goes straight across the top and wraps a little inside the front wheel arch.

Pic #3:
    This last pic is a compromise between having a huge gap at the top, or a huge gap right after the door sticker. This is the best I can do, but it's not good enough for me...am I being crazy?

Pic #1:

Pic #2:

Pic #3:

I don't know why all the pics are at the bottom? I tried to put them after each paragraph. The comments correspond to each numbered pic. I hope this makes sense. It's too long of a post for me to make a huge edit. Lol

I have been wrong about these decals and maybe I'm wrong again? If someone has an idea of what I'm supposed to do please let me know. Personally I think that decal is just too short. Maybe I have a slightly different side skirt? Mine are fiberglass , maybe these graphics fit the urethane perfectly and they are slightly off for the fiberglass? I'm really only having a problem with this graphic though ( on both sides it's the same thing).

Ideas?
    Last edited by TopGear85; 03-28-2015 at 10:51 PM.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Update...I spoke with Mark over at PAS and it looks like he is gonna have a couple longer decals cut and sent out to me. What a relief. I tell you, if you're in the market for these stripes you now have two options. One is to buy from Mark at Performance Autosport and the other is to buy directly from Saleen. I'm sure the obvious choice for most would be to order from Saleen...but I would think twice about that. I bought my decals over a year ago and I'm just now getting to installing them, and Mark knows this...but that didn't stop him from offering to send me two replacements free of charge when he saw that I was having an issue. I'm not sure things would be that easy with Saleen? All I'm saying is he didn't even bat an eye when I showed him my problem. He asked for my address and he's taking care of it. That's good customer service and I really appreciate it.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Well the replacement graphics came today and unfortunately they fit exactly the same as the first batch. Now Mark is gonna see if he can get a couple custom cut a little longer, otherwise I'm s-o-l. He asked if my ground effects weren't Saleen originals because he's never had this issue before and because all the other graphics fit ok. I told him I didn't think they were aftermarket, because I can still see imprints from my original rocker stripes on them. My originals were so long they went straight across the top and even wrapped around the corner of the skirts and ended inside the wheel opening (all 3 colored stripes did this on both the back and front part of the skirts...as well as the doors). I just don't get why I'm having this problem, but I really think my skirts are the original fiberglass from Saleen.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

This is how far my originals wrapped around:

Here they are in the door:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Are you sure those stripes that were on your car were originals? The pictures that I can see the wheel wells on do not look like the stripes wrap in to them

https://www.google.com/search?q=1986...53%3B640%3B426
    86-64

2002-168

It's really only prevalent on some 85's, but not all. From my research it seems like by 86 they no longer wrapped. A fellow member, Airplanedriver, is the owner of two 85's that have graphics that wrap around just like mine (actually his 85-0055..the blue car with blue graphics the decals wrap even further around then mine do). On his cars, every spot that can wrap does, so on the air dam wheel opening, both side skirts by the wheel opening, and the rear spats into the wheel opening. His door wraps around as well. Both of his cars have original graphics and they wrap just like mine. I found a couple other 85's that wrap as well, just from google searches and my Saleen books.

Apparently Saleen didn't do this with every 85, but some cars did get wrapped like that. Another first full year of production oddity by Saleen. Just another thing that makes 85's hard cars to restore to original.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Gotta love all the quirks! you are doing a nice job with that car... stay after it

I ordered my LOA today for my 86
    86-64

2002-168

Quote Originally Posted by 2002-168 View Post
    Gotta love all the quirks! you are doing a nice job with that car... stay after it

I ordered my LOA today for my 86
    Thanks! Let us know what info you get off the LOA. I'm always interested in that kind of stuff. I got an LOA, Marti Report, and Eminger Invoice for my 85. You can't ever have too much proof or information IMO.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Name:  IMG_0378.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  71.4 KBName:  IMG_0360.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  164.5 KB

Got the LOA and took a pic while visiting mom and dad for Easter
    86-64

2002-168

Thanks for posting the LOA and pic....while I wish the Saleen LOA had more info (all Saleen LOA's, not yours specifically), it's still a cool document to have. Solid proof that your car is a real Saleen is worth the crazy cost of that piece of paper imo. I ever get tired of seeing pics of your car btw. It serves as inspiration for me to get mine done...I only wish mine looked half as good as yours. You did a great job with that car.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast