Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Help with Graphics

My next job is to install all the Saleen graphics (rocker stripes, windshield, bumper numbers, FMS quarter window decals, etc). Does anyone have any measurements on where exactly these are to be placed? My windshield banner is very crooked, so it doesn't look like I just peel and stick...do I have to cut out and place each letter? How about the bumper numbers...I know the last digit lines up with the far right (if I'm facing the car) headlight, but how far away from the headlights do I place them?

If anyone can post pics of their Saleen or share any tips I would appreciate it. I'm almost done, the graphics are my last big job...but it's a critical one (plus I love the graphics on these cars...I think they are my favorite thing, so I want them to be done right).

Thanks!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

You should find some pictures of interest in this album: http://s420.photobucket.com/user/GT3...?sort=4&page=1
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

Wow, that's a great album...thanks! Do you know anything about the windshield banner...specifically have you ever heard of people cutting out each letter individually and installing that way? I thought I would just peel the backing and stick it on, but it wasn't printed evenly so if I did that it would look terrible. Maybe I'm supposed to just do the "Saleen" and the "Mustang" separately?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Wow, that's a great album...thanks! Do you know anything about the windshield banner...specifically have you ever heard of people cutting out each letter individually and installing that way? I thought I would just peel the backing and stick it on, but it wasn't printed evenly so if I did that it would look terrible. Maybe I'm supposed to just do the "Saleen" and the "Mustang" separately?
    I never heard of setting each letter individually. I've done two windshield banners one piece with some research before hand and I had no problems. If I remember correctly its printed like that on purpose do to the curve of the windshield ! I had a spray bottle of some kind of mild soapy water to wet the windshield first so you can adjust and move the decal in place and with a rubber squeegee carefully work out any air pockets. Then don't peel the backing off till its dry ! Hope this helps some.

I can also help with the other stripes etc. if you need any measurements
    Last edited by airplanedriver; 03-01-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks APD, I've never layed the decal on the windshield to see how it will actually look, so maybe you're right about it being "off" as compensation for the curve in the windshield. I am gonna order some decal application gel from Phoenix Graphics, to use instead of soapy water. They claim that the gel doesn't dry (of it takes a long time) so you can move the decal all you like and then squeegee the gel out when you've got it placed perfect. I have to do a ton of graphics so I figure that's $20 well spent.

If you have time (and don't mind) I would love to have measurements for the rocker stripes from one of your amazing cars. I am running an 86 front air dam (my 85 urethane dam needs to be repaired before I can install it) so I don't know if that will effect the measurements on that graphic, but the rest of my car is the same as yours (meaning it has the side skirts and rear spats).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

TopGear85, take your time when installing those decals and measure twice. I was excited about installing my windshield banner and did it when it was kinda windy and I got crappy results. I didn't even use soapy water. I ordered a replacement banner so next time I install it I plan on doing it right. I did measure the fender "Racecraft" decals and the "302" hood decals. Haven't got around to doing the Saleen stripes so I can't be of any help.

I know there's a dedicated page either here on FEP or on SCOA that gives sizes/dimension and tips on installing decals on our four eyed Saleens.
    I'll look for it and post the link.
    Last edited by BlackMamba; 04-13-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

Thanks Mamba! I think that gel is gonna be a lifesaver, I'll let you guys know how well it works and if I recommend it. For us ( that have a lot of graphics) I think it's the way to go.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Saleen View Post
    You should find some pictures of interest in this album: http://s420.photobucket.com/user/GT3...?sort=4&page=1
    Good stuff! Thanks for posting!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

How does the new windshield banner line up with the letters faded into the glass? I saw your photo from inside the car where you could read 'Saleen Mustang' even though the stickers were gone. 85-065 is the same way.

That's a good question Dadbox....stay tuned and I'll go find out. Do you have a new decal on #65? How does it line up? Btw, I think 65 and 73 need to get together for a photo op, once 73 is back on the road.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

No I don't yet...the windshield has a stone chip and I'm not sure if I should replace the decal before replacing the glass. That photo op would be great, maybe at a local Cars and Coffee one weekend.

We really need to do that (a get together) before the weather gets too hot. I've met up with a couple people from FEP before and we had a great time talking cars, we have to do it again soon. Just the fact that two 85 Saleens are so close together (by distance, who knows where the rest are spread out...besides Indiana...a ton of the best fox Saleens are in Indiana), means we have to meet up and take pics. It will be fun.

I'll get that pic tonight when I'm home and we'll see if my decal matched the "burn in" left by the original windshield decal. For you, I would replace the windshield before I put the decal on, but I'd try and keep the original glass. I'm keeping everything I've removed even if it's something small.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Oh yeah my decal did line up with the old sun marks and I used some painters masking tape from inside to mark exactly where my original one was

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    We really need to do that (a get together) before the weather gets too hot. I've met up with a couple people from FEP before and we had a great time talking cars, we have to do it again soon. Just the fact that two 85 Saleens are so close together (by distance, who knows where the rest are spread out...besides Indiana...a ton of the best fox Saleens are in Indiana), means we have to meet up and take pics. It will be fun.

I'll get that pic tonight when I'm home and we'll see if my decal matched the "burn in" left by the original windshield decal. For you, I would replace the windshield before I put the decal on, but I'd try and keep the original glass. I'm keeping everything I've removed even if it's something small.

Hi Mike,your car must be coming along nicely if you are upto the decals.As it has been said before take your time and double and tripple check everything to be sure,I think it took about 3 hours each side.I found it easier to tape up all the decals with masking tape first to get all the gaps from the bump stips right,then I used the soapy water method but I must say that Gel stuff sounds good.Don't be afraid if you have to cut/trim alot off the decals to get them to fit properly especially the ones on the rear spats I found.Don't forget to post pictures when done.Cheers Leon

Mike -

Love to hear of another one of these cars coming back to life! Take your time with the decals - they require patience and love
    86-64

2002-168

Thanks for the tips fellas, I appreciate it. The car is coming along well, I just wish it was getting a professional restoration as opposed to me fumbling through each task. She isn't gonna be anywhere near a show car when I'm done, but she will be drivable and presentable (which is a lot more than could be said about her when I first picked her up). I plan on posting the pics I've taken along the way to show everyone what I started with and everything that we've done, I'm just waiting to be finished so I can share the whole story (and by finished I mean satisfied. I plan on revisiting some of the work that's been done so far and improve on it, but I had such a huge mountain to climb that I have had to live with some things in a effort to get her going in a timely fashion...even though it's been over a year now).

I do need some more help with the placement of the rocker graphics, if one of you Saleen guys can help. I need to know how far up the door decals go, in relation to the bottom of the door, as well as how far down they are from the bodyside mouldings. I figure I'll start with those and once they're on and level I'll base the other decals off of them. If anyone thinks that's a bad idea let me know what you think I should do. Thanks again 1986Saleen for that link...those pics will help a lot for the windshield banner and bumper numbers (I already have the Racecarft Suspension decals installed).

If anyone with a Saleen wouldn't mind taking a couple pics and some measurements of their rocker graphics that would be awesome. Also, do any of the graphics wrap around or are they only for the sides of the car? For example, the graphics that go on the spats...do those start inside the wheel well and made the turn on the side of the spat or do they just get installed on the sides (so the part of the spat inside the wheel well has no graphics on it...only body color)? My guess is only the sides get the graphics and nothing wraps anywhere, but I don't know for sure. If anyone with an original and unrestored car can chime in that would be awesome. I want it to look like it did back in 85, when it first left the Saleen facility.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by TopGear85; 03-06-2015 at 11:17 PM.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Mike,I think you will find it is a compromise with all 3 of those side graphics as you have to get the gap between the graphics and the body molding as even as possible or it will stand out like dogs balls.You also take into account because they are so close together the 3 stripes must line up aswell.I found that the rocker graphics governed where the door graphic sat on my car as the rounded top edge of the rocker also adds to the gap between the graphic and body moulding when looked at from different angles(hope that makes sense)I have seen some pics on the net where I think they put the door graphic on first and the rocker ones appear to have a bigger gap between the moulding and graphic than the door has and the 3 colours of the stripes do not line up properly.That is why I cut/trimmed all 3 graphics and masked them up first to get all the gaps as close as poss.I hope this helps.Cheers Leon

Did you have to cut each colored stripe out and install them one at a time? I didn't think I would have to go that crazy to get them to line up, I assumed that each color was evenly spaced out on the backer paper and ready to be installed as one unit.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

No you don't have to go that crazy.It is mainly trimming the ends of each graphic to length and getting the gaps at each end to follow the profile of the panel/door/rocker as they are slightly curved.I aslo found that once in place you can trim the ends easier with a brand new razor blade dragging it very lightly over the graphic than you can trying to cut them before hand.The ones I had to trim alot off were both the rear spats as you have 2 angles to deal with,if I tried to line the leading edge up with the curve of the spat I had about a 5mm gap between the front of the body moluding and graphic and about a 20mm gap at the rear of the body moulding so what I did was get the gap between the graphic and the body moulding the same as the rest of the car(as it is basically a straight edge/line) and trimmed the curve on the leading edge once the graphic was on the car.It worked well but shortened that graphic up by about an inch.it still looks ok.

cheers Leon

Thanks for the extra info, I really appreciate it. If it isn't too much trouble, would you be able to post some pics so I can see exactly what you did? I'm hoping to do this job on Tuesday, but do you think I can do it by myself or should I have another set of hands?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Any Saleen owner out there that can snap a couple pics for me? If I can see the door decal (with the door open would be best so I can see how much space is below the decal on the door) I think that will help a lot. How you positioned the decals on the spats and front air dam would be awesome too...really one whole side would be best, but one of the door opened is what I'm most curious about.

Thanks guys and sorry to bother. I have the next 3 days off so it's the perfect change to get this job done.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Only if you bring it to Carlisle . Well I'm trying but it's taking too long to post here... You have a email ?

I want to come to Carlisle so badly, but wow what a journey that would be (I'm out in Arizona). I haven't even been able to drive this car to the local bank without needing a tow home, so Carlisle might be a bit of a stretch. I would love to see your car in person, as well as many other amazing Mustangs I've seen here on FEP over the years. Maybe next year?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Mike,
    Sorry I didn't have a tape measure when I took those pics yesterday.

Attachment 82094
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

That's ok Marshall, I appreciate the thought. God those wheels are awful...I really hope that owner fixes up that Saleen (if it's a real Saleen and not a clone).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast