Close

Default 82 Capri Doors- can someone staighten me out?

There are so many answers to what doors are compatible with what years. I get so many "yes, they will fit", and an equal "No, they won't". I recently found this forum, and think that this may be the place to ask.

I am touching up my 82 Capri RS. I noticed my doors are beginning to rust a little. I found a very nice set of doors off an 89 mustang. Obviously, the rubber molding, mirrors are different, but is the shell the same?

Physically yes the will fit. There are some differences. 89 uses different mirrors and dew wipes/trim. They can be modified to work. Be patient and someone who has done so will give you better answers than I can.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I guess while I'm asking...what about 90 lx doors?

All 87-93 doors will be basically the same. There are people on the site that have converted them so they will work. It's just not a simple swap.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

The bigger question is what do you intend to use off the 89 or 90 doors?

The basic shell is the same from 79-93. The 79 and early 80 models have the inside door handle down low. The late 80 to 93 doors all have the handle up high in the "normal" position. You can swap the shell of the 89 or 90 model doors with your 82 doors. As mentioned already the outside trim is different and will require either welding up the trim holes or using the 87-93 trim. If your 82 came equipped with the metal trim below the dew wipes, you might be able to reuse it on the newer doors and hide the holes too. The mirrors are different to, but they are interchangeable, but generally need to match the door trim.

The inner guts of the doors are very similar although depending on if you have power windows or locks will determine if you have to swap out wiring harness or not. You can also swap from power to manual on both locks and windows if you choose. The last issue is making sure that all your attaching hardware is located correctly in the newer doors for your door panels, armrests, etc. Not a big deal, but the locations for the armrest screws changed on the 87-93 cars, so it needs to be addressed if using the original door panels on the newer doors. Also the newer doors have provisions for a speaker at the lower front edge that the 79-86 cars did not, so be aware. You can modify your door panels if you choose to keep the speaker. Also a few of the door panel attaching clip holes changed over the years, so there will most likely be a couple clips in your panel that you will have to leave out when installing the panels.

I think that covers the majority of the issues. So definitely a swap that is possible, but just be aware there are some differences that need to be addressed before you can finish everything. Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I was hoping Trey would finish rounding out the info.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks Guys. That helps a lot. That sounds perfect for my needs. Much appreciated!