Close

Thread: Bumper trim fix

Default Bumper trim fix

So my bumper has some scuffs, I am wondering what is the best way to fix this, Name:  20150218_110849-1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  67.6 KBName:  20150218_110849-1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  67.6 KB

Standing by for some answers as I have the same issue with my front bumper. Mine is gouged as well. Thinking putty for filler and just sand? I saw that flexible bumper repair stuff in another thread and wondering if that would fit the bill as well.

Both the front and rear bumpers as well as the side body molding can be repaired with flexible body filler. I personally like Evercoat for all my filler needs. You should be able to pick some up at your local auto paint and body supply store. If you can't find it locally then Eastwood is another option.

Make sure you use one of the flexible fillers such as: http://www.handsontools.com/Evercoat...z_p_10804.html

That is what I use most of the time.

Here is another option for very minor surface issues: http://www.eastwood.com/sem-bumper-b...aze-40482.html

You use the filler just like any other filler, sand, prep, primer, and then repaint with your appropriate trim paint.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Mine is only a light scuff, how do I paint this does SEM work for this or does it have to be professionally painted?

A while ago, I did the trim on a buddies LX because the trim was painted body color. Masked off surrounding area, scuffed with Scotchbrite pad, primed and painted semigloss black. He liked the results. Not too difficult, if you know how to do it. Painting can be intimidating sometimes.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

The SEM trim paint will work just fine.

Semigloss black can also be used although it's not exactly the correct sheen. The trim is actually more of a Satin, but ultimately it's your car and your choice.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I purchased the SEM satin, so the best way is to lightly sand it, primer and then paint it? sounds pretty easy. thank you for your help guys

Have you done the deed yet? Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. My car had the same issues as yours. Just sanding didn't bring it to paint ready status. I needed to use a high build primer to fill the little pours in the deteriorated plastic. I don't know if yours is as badly deteriorated as mine was. Mine had more of a combination of scuffing AND UV trauma.

Thanks Bruce once it stops raining I'll take a close up picture but I do think its just a light scuff.