Close

Default 1986 Mustang Notchback 2.3L EFI turbo

1986 Mustang Notchback, 2.3L EFI turbo, 5spd located in Kansas. About 50k miles on the odometer, passes Carfax report. The car was a 2.3L 4spd manual originally. I swapped in the drivetrain from a 1986 Thunderbird Turbocoupe and slowly modified the car over several years. Along the way nearly everything mechanical on the car has been addressed with either upgraded parts or refurbished parts. The engine was freshly rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago, it's got a ported and polished head with big valves, roller camshaft, etc. Too many upgrades and recently replaced parts to list. Runs and drives good, could use a set of tires and some body work. I'm asking $3,500 firm. I'm also open to selling the car as a roller without the drivetrain. I can be reached by private message, or email predatorman@hotmail.com.

Edited to add: Just to save time, the car absolutely has rust in the rocker panels and two or three spots under the driver's seat and in the trunk floor, a little more in the bottom of the door skins and the joints where the floor pans meet the firewall. There's scattered cosmetic surface rust all over. It was a South Dakota car, it's just the nature of the beast. Patch panels are available for most of those parts and they're affordable, I just don't own a mig welder, and don't have any welding experience.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 02-22-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Thats nice!! Glws!!

FWIW if I do sell the car as a roller, I'd probably be keeping the drivetrain, either for a future project, or to part out a piece at a time to maximize the return on my investment. My asking price for the engine and harness would be about $3500 and it'd be shipped in a convenient container that will drive on/off a trailer or car carrier. I'd toss in the recently rebuilt 3.55 8.8 rearend, full exhaust, Pro-5.0 shifter, and new battery just to sweeten the deal.

Seriously though, just the big ticket drivetrain parts, would cost more than my asking price. It adds up fast when you consider it has a Bo-port Stage 3 head that would cost about half what I'm asking for the entire car, plus a $500 rebuilt short block, $550 Stinger front mount intercooler, $300 Stinger 3" downpipe to 2.5" dual Y-pipe, $530 Flowmaster Force II catback, $100 LA2 EEC, etc. I'm not going to sit down an add up all the receipts, I don't need the sticker shock or depression, but I'm sure they'd tally up to nearly twice what I'm asking. I'm just looking for a very quick, and convenient sale where everyone is happy and a buyer gets a good deal.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-04-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Nice car but I think the rust scares people off. Have you tried posting this on the svoca forum classifieds? I think you need to be a member, but it might sell over there because of the VERY NICE engine and drivetrain.

Turboford.org would probably be a more likely place than the SVOCA too.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I was considering listing it on turboford, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not sure if I'm registered on the SVOCA forum. At one time or another I've been registered on most of the Mustang and 2.3T related forums. I listed it here first since I figure it's more likely to find someone that appreciates the pre-87 body style.

I'm highly motivated to get this car sold. Make me an offer, the worst I can do is say no.

This car hasn't been driven since July, so I'd recommend either having it shipped or towing it home. It has current plates, registration, clean title, it'll start right up and drive on a trailer, I just wouldn't recommend jumping on the interstate with it, since it's been sitting so long.

Default 1986 Mustang Notchback 2.3L EFI turbo

Hi

I'm on cell it doesn't show your location?

Salina, KS

I dropped the battery back in yesterday, it fired right up, drove it down to the gas station, $20 went from E to over 3/4 tank full. Drove around town a bit, and aside from vintage car creaks and rattles, it runs and drives fine.

-Bump-

Need the parking spot where the Mustang is sitting for another project car. I'd like to see the car go to a good home, where it'd be appreciated and properly utilized.

Dang, way over a year. Turbo cars (don't forget I own one) seem to be like T-top cars. Everyone loves them but nobody wants to actually own one. And I actually have both in one car, haha. They hope their best friend buys one but they aren't going to. Such an underappreciated engine. I love mine and I also have a 5.0 to compare it to and I still love it. The Turbo is more smiles per mile plain and simple. I would love to have this engine in mine for sure! You did everything right and you didn't skimp.

To think back in 1983 you could buy a SEQUENTIAL MULTI-PORT EFI Ford. I am not a GM guy and I don't even care enough to Google it but when did they finally get Sequential EFI? 1995 or something? The L98/LT1 350 was BATCH-FIRE, not Sequential Multi-port, so slow your replies and go look, LOL. It had 8 injectors but was not Sequential multi port. It fired ALL 4 injectors on each side every time any one of them fired.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-22-2016 at 06:51 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Dang, way over a year.
    I'm really trying to get the car in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and finish the job. I haven't thrown it on Craigslist or parked it around town with a sign in the window specifically to avoid attracting a buyer that would just run it into the ground. Unfortunately, I guess it just doesn't offer enough value to an enthusiast to take on the rust repair. The last car like this I sold ended up going to a young kid that was only interested because of the stereo. He drove it into the ground, it took him six years but when the transmission went out the car went to the junkyard. I'd just hate to see this car end up the same way.

So if someone loves the car, but hates the drivetrain, let me know. Love the drivetrain, hate the car? Let me know. Love it all, hate the price? Let me know. I'm willing to work with a serious buyer to get it out of my driveway.

FEP Member

If I had room I would take the car without the drivetrain, but am holding out on buying my old 86 notch back at some point. I am not a big 2.3 l fan so would probably better if someone else got it that would appreciate it.

Jimmy,
    I am amazed that you haven't sold this car long before now at the price you are asking.
    There must be someone out there with a rust free body to slap all of that nice running gear under.

I guess there is a lack of many four-banger turbo fans on this site. I have never met anyone who ever drove a 2.3 turbo foxbody car that didn't have to own one eventually.
    I hope you get it sold soon.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

--Bump--

Someone needs this. I need my driveway back. I've moved on to other projects and the Mustang only ever gets driven to move it out of the way. Always starts up and runs fine, I'm just not into it anymore.

-Bump- I'm sick of looking at it.

Just fired it up the other day for it's bi-monthly run up to operating temp. Always fires right up, but exposure to the elements is really getting to it. Another year or two of neglect, and the body will probably be beyond saving. Since I started this thread, I've taken on another project that needed some rust repair, so I've actually got a welder now, but I just don't have the time and motivation to work on this car.