Close

FEP User
    Vancouver BC Canada 20 minutes to border !

Default 250 6 cyl c4 into fox body swap help !

Is there any good info on this swap I've got a 76 maverick donor. Concerned about oil pan, tranny mount and engine mount options my wagon is originally the 200 c3 combo

I actually tried looking into this myself, even pulled a 250 out of a Granada. This will not work easily unfortunately, the 250 is a little taller and longer. The hood will not shut properly, but you have to source the Maverick engine mounts to allow the engine to sit lower in the car. I would just go V8, as I plan to now. You can google what you are trying to do, someone out there had done it, but was more trouble than worth.

Last edited by 83gtstang; 02-21-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Go for it. Also a 250 with a T5 would be a great setup for a wagon. I had a Maverick with a 250 3 speed and it was a riot to drive, just needed more gears.

FEP User
    Vancouver BC Canada 20 minutes to border !

Doing some more reaserch maybe I need a different oil pan or cross member ? someone must know something on this swap ??

You will need to custom fab a new oil pan. There is no kit, I did the research a few months ago. It can be done, just not worth it in my opinion. Like I said, I have a 250 sitting in my garage now and a 200 as well. High costs are what's making me go V8, power for money the V8 is better for me. I do love the 6 cylinder engines though. They have always been neat to me. I've seen old dragsters with them, they can be fast.

For sump, contact Mike1157.

Pick and mix through Mikes work, and copy his parts inventory where required. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ila-Monster%29

I can send you some parts, but my kit uses the Aussie X-series engine mounts on an engine that is an inch narrower than the US 250, and the sumps are not the same. The Aussie block is half US 250, half US 200, so little that fits a Aussie 250 into a Fox body will benefit a US 250 Fox.

Sump needs to be custom modified to become a 200 sump at the bottom, and you need to copy the pickup shape. At worst, you can go nuckin futs with a MIG welder, and you'll get a result that will work.

Or you can do a little more networking. The oil pumps aren't the same. What Ford US did when the 250 came out, they dropped the oil pump down the stroke throw length increase 0.392"), which is why the 5/16" oil pump from cam drive shaft is so much longer on a 250.

You can do lots with the oil pump position on 200 and 250 sixes,

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72783

Mike eventually made his external, and revised the sump below.

Mikes looks great. The alternative is to cut and shut the Maverick sump like Jack Collins did.

If you are going to run a stock fan, it needs to be reduced in diameter from the stock size by more than 0.833 inches, as the water pump is up 1.666". It will touch the hood otherwise.

A Mercury Capri hood or tall Mustang hood blister will give you space to fit the carb under the hood. The 250 engine also sits a little taller as the engine mounts are splayed out at 11" center to center from the 9-1/8" wide 200 block.

Mike 1157 just solid mounted his.

You can use the Taurus or later SN95 fan system and water bottle recovery.

There is nothing to the swap. Mike is your best example

Mike1157

If you can weld, than it's the easiest part of the swap. If you have a 200 pan as a donor for the bottom, and a 250 pan for the top, then what;s stopping you? Cost certainly can't be a factor, you have both pans. Mounts are easily made from 3/16 plate. Yeah, they are solid, but in the end how much NVH will a mild 250 transmit through a solid mount anyway?
    It's not like you're building a solid roller cammed, turbocharged 500 HP monster or anything like that..................Uhh Are you?

DONT cave in and put a 5.0 in the bay just because there's a pan, and mounts. You run the risk of boring yourself to death.

Ugh-ha, wot he sayed!

Here is Fast64Ranchero's 250 in Fox square sump.

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52695

JT81Stang's 250 Fox

http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359266

"Yes I did, Jackfish.
    I used the lower half of the original 200 pan and the upper half (including where the front & rear main seals go) from a 250 pan.

I screwed the upper half to a piece of plywood to minimize warpage when welding the two pieces together.

As for a dipstick tube - it went into the drivers side of the pan just below the mounting flange"

"I used 1971 Maverick 250 motor mounts which lower the motor in the engine compartment. You can use the original 200 mounts but the 250 will sit higher and you will need a big scoop on the hood.

Even with the Maverick mounts you still need a hood scoop. See the photo of my car and you'll see I used a newer Stang front facing scoop on mine & yes, it is functional.

You will also need to use an older power steering pump and bracket - one from a Granada will work. The original power steering bracket will not fit the 250 motor, and the original pump will not fit the older bracket - or you can ditch the pump and bracket all together by getting a manual rack & pinion setup.

If you have a C-4 behind the original 200 it can still be used but you will need to change the bellhousing as the 250 has the same bolt pattern as a V-8.

Original starter will still work as will the ugly exhaust manifold - but I have a Clifford 6 into 1 header on mine.

One last thing - the original 4 blade plastic fan will work but is very close to the underside of the hood. I went with a slightly smaller dia. fan.

John.

I am still trying to decide the answer to this question as it concerns this swap.

Why would you want back up in technology and make a car that is so specific to your taste and difficult to sell WHEN you finally DO decide to sell?

That sell day WILL come at some point!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    I am still trying to decide the answer to this question as it concerns this swap.

Why would you want back up in technology and make a car that is so specific to your taste and difficult to sell WHEN you finally DO decide to sell?

That sell day WILL come at some point!
    Who are you asking?

Nobody that I know builds a car w/ the goal of building it to resell, unless that was the plan from the onset.

If you're talking to the OP, A Fairmont wagon is a Fairmont wagon regardless of whether it has a 5.0, a I-6, or a hamster running it's balls off in a wheel. Running a close second to that is the four door, with the sedan, and coupes falling somewhere in between.

They'll never be worth more than what somebody is willing to pay for them, just like any other car that has been modified.

If you're talking to me,....well then it wouldn't be the first time I've built a car that was so specific to my taste that it was difficult to sell.
    Last edited by Mike1157; 03-06-2015 at 12:00 AM.