Close

Default lights very dim at idle..

hey guys having a problem with my 81 capri the lights a very dim at an idle that it actually cuts my radio out. when i hold the throttle they get brighter and radio starts working a again checked all the wiring and its fine thought it was the voltage regulator replaced that and still the same. please help

Have you had he alternator checked?
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Check your ground strap from the engine to the firewall. Check ground cable to battery from block. If you have a voltmeter check for out put about 14 volts when running. You could try this, but no guarantee, when car is running place a screw driver at the center of the back of the alternator, you should feel the magnetic field pull the screw driver towards it. Do not touch wires and cause a short. Another would be disconnect battery while car is running, car should continue to run if alternator is good. Best is volt meter. Do check ground strap.

thanks guys will check tomorrow and yes i do have a voltmeter

Is it an Autozone alternator? Bad battery cables?

Only disconnect the battery cable on an old non-computer car. Don't try it on an '86...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I keep one of these testors in the cars all the time.
    They work great for quick checks at home or on the road.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/Alterna...ter-69018.html

Other
    2x on removing battery cable test.
    Current can spike and fry electrical and alt diodes giving false indication of bad alt as the problem.

Remove alt and have it load tested at a auto parts store or re-builder. Free.

An in car voltmeter gauge (if not equipped) is valuable for monitoring volts all the time.
    Or make up something like a cig lighter plug pigtail and connect the portable voltmeter when driving.

The cable removal thing was a roadside desperate troubleshoot, also assuming the car would turn off when cables where pulled if it was a bad alternator. Older cars non electronics computer etc are less susceptible to damage, but it can happen. Best is multimeter or have it checked. I once drove my car on battery only for about a week. Didn't know my alternator went bad until it just stopped running and would not start. That was on my 83 GT, he said he has an 81 Capri, had one of those at one time too. I just had the issue with dimming lights, turned out to be a broken ground to the firewall. It's something simple, so start simple checks before throwing money at it. AutoZone is a good place to start like stated above.
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 02-20-2015 at 03:53 PM.