Close

Default 93 octane ethanol free fuel, after 6 months untreated in a turbo car.

Just trying to get more of an understanding about this situation...

I have a 1986 Mustang GT with a 70mm turbo, with Ford 42 pound injectors, and a BBK 255LPH fuel pump.. It has about 7/8 full gas tank with 93 octane of ethanol free fuel (grade/quality questionable), and it will have sat in a non heated barn from mid November 2014 to April 2015... about 6 months ranging from 50 degrees F down to negative 20 degrees F. Generally dry, but ranging humidity...

My main worry is, this fuel is not treated, and my car runs fairly rich, about 10.9AFR when I get into it... how will my car fair when it comes to drive it?.. is there anything to be added to eliminate water, or to help mix the additives to turn it back to normal? Or is it best to drive it slightly and just wait till the gas runs thin, and fill it with 93 and an octane booster to try to clear the possible gunk...

Thank you

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

I had luck with filling it to the top mid Nov to approx May
    I use 93 octane Sunoco just cause it's close to my house not sure about a boosted application but I would just drive it very very moderately until you can get f
    Some fresh gas in it
    I'm sure it will loose some of its octane but I wouldn't stress that much
    Michigan winters and no heat in the garage 4 seasons stored for 5-1/2 months and never tried to start It in between months no issues related to that topic
    I heard good and bad about additives mostly from boat owners who have 100 plus gallons October to June in storage

FEP Power Member

I would not worry too much after six months. Since you tank was not full during storage you may have had some condensation occur in the tank. You could add a bottle of gas line antifreeze (ethanol) to the tank if you want to neutralize any water in there. A bottle of octane booster with a neutralizer for water may be a good choice also. Not much octane loss occurs after six months. Ten months to a year may be a different matter. Even then you could get by using an additive without dumping the fuel.

For many years while I was in Guatemala, I left a car parked outdoors in central Iowa from August to May. I filled the tank and never had a problem with it running fine on the gas that was left in it when I returned. I can't imagine that a 3/4 full tank left for five months would have deteriorated enough to mess with you.
    It sure couldn't hurt anything to add a little bottle of heat/gas line antifreeze as mentioned above.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Drive it more easily on that tank, and just try to keep the boost level down during that time.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.