Close

Default Valve differences?

I am putting my engine back together after changing the head gaskets and i am putting the rods and valves back on and noticed that some of the valves have a W on the bottom of them and some have different markings on the bolt. I was wondering if these markings are there for a reason? Below are pictures of the 4 different types of markings on these valves. Can anyone tell me if they matter and if so how?

I did not realize the difference when removing them or else i would have made a note or snapped a picture like i did with everything else and when I was putting them back on one seemed to not tighten correctly and looked the rod was off a little bit. Thanks for any help.

Name:  0212152100.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  72.2 KB

This is the most common one, which has a - on the bolt and no W on the bottom

Name:  0212152104.jpg
Size:  65.5 KB

Like the one above it has the - on the bolt but this one HAS a W on the bottom.

Name:  0212152105.jpg
Size:  61.9 KB

This one has a O on the bolt and no W on the bottom

Name:  0212152101.jpg
Size:  75.4 KB

Like the one above this one has a O on the bolt but this one HAS a W on the bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those are called rocker arms and the casting numbers are of no consequence.

The important thing to remember is that the pushrod and rocker should stay together and the fulcrum( the part under the bolt) should stay with the rocker it started with.

All of these parts have worn or mated together over their lifespan and moving them around to new locations could cause accelerated wear.

Also make sure the pedestal( the square part that contacts the head) goes into its channel straight or you could break the rocker boss on the head.

Steve
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER