Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default dual exhaust conversion

I am thinking of converting my 84 LX from single exhaust to dual,

What am I gonna need to do this without going to a custom pipe bending shop?

I see lots of kits on ebay but what will fit my 5.0 with little or no modification?

Do you have an automatic, or manual transmission? If an auto, you will need to relocate the fuel pump.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    Do you have an automatic, or manual transmission? If an auto, you will need to relocate the fuel pump.
    I have automatic, but my fuel pump is in the fuel tank. Its not on the engine

its an 84 LX convert, 5.0 CFI

The fuel pump isn't in the gas tank. It's located in the floor pan region where the second muffler would be.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    The fuel pump isn't in the gas tank. It's located in the floor pan region where the second muffler would be.
    isn't there 2 fuel pumps on my car? one in the tank and the other inline?

Yes, two fuel pumps, you're both right.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

To use an H pipe and a catback from newer Mustangs, you're going to need 86-93 headers, 86-93 dipstick, 86-93 muffler and tailpipe hangers, a dual hump transmission mount and matching converter hanger, and you'll have to relocate the rear brake line as well.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I have the same situation with a carburetted '86 (previously the car had the 2.3 litre four). I've got the factory 5.0 headers, the "H" pipe withs the cats and the dual transmission mount. However, the pipes came with aftermarket mufflers welded in place and they dump just forward of the rear axle. I wanted to run factory tailpipes all the way to the rear but then I saw the interference problem with the brake line.

Is there some sort of kit for relocating the brake line or is it something that I need to do from scratch? Also, would there be any aftermarket "H" pipe available without the cats???

Do you have emissions inspections there?

When I put dual exhaust on my car, I ordered a reproduction rear brake hard line, and the hard lines for the axle, then got the soft rubber axle hose from the auto parts store. I got the rear brake line bracket and fitting that goes between the rear hard line and the soft rubber hose from the classifieds here, and it all bolted in.

I ran the car with the stock passenger's side brake line for a little while, and in less than a week it had rubbed on the passenger's side exhaust pipe enough that it was leaking. Some people modify the stock line, or adapt it to relocate out of the way, but for $40 (http://www.cjponyparts.com/intermedi...93/p/MU1021BO/) and a bit of searching for the rear bracket, I didn't see any reason not to use repro parts.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    Do you have emissions inspections there?
    Rarely in my neck of the woods. As long as everything 'looks' factory/stock they seem to leave us alone. My plan is to fit a dual exhaust system on an '86 Mustang LX and have the tailpipes running all the way to the back of the car. If it looks stock and you don't do anything else to draw attention to yourself, you should be fine...

Ok cool, just thought I'd ask. California guys are worried about this subject. Cars won't pass inspection if is not factory replacement parts. Most aftermarket parts will cause them to fail. Just keep your old stuff incase.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ting-striccter

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    Most aftermarket parts will cause them to fail. Just keep your old stuff incase.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ting-striccter
    Yeah, I'll keep the old stuff anyway. I've found though that running a car with the old, factory original cats and smog pumps is a liability. The thermactor pumps on the old cars tend to seize, and if it's on a single serpentine belt, then the engine is disabled and the car has to be towed. I had that happen on an '85 LTD a few years ago.

Once an old cat begins to deteriorate it becomes a fire hazard. I once had the catalytic converter on an '80 Zephyr wagon overheat to the point that the whole thing was actually glowing a bright cherry red! I was able to cool it off by throwing handfuls of snow on it before a fire started.

It made the interior of the car smell like roast chicken...
    Last edited by Autolite; 02-28-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
    Is there some sort of kit for relocating the brake line or is it something that I need to do from scratch?
    There is currently one in development, hopefully it will be available soon.
    Also, would there be any aftermarket "H" pipe available without the cats???
    There are plenty, Summit has their own brand for ~130 or Flowtechs for ~300.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2.3Mustang View Post
    When I put dual exhaust on my car, I ordered a reproduction rear brake hard line, and the hard lines for the axle, then got the soft rubber axle hose from the auto parts store. I got the rear brake line bracket and fitting that goes between the rear hard line and the soft rubber hose from the classifieds here, and it all bolted in.

I ran the car with the stock passenger's side brake line for a little while, and in less than a week it had rubbed on the passenger's side exhaust pipe enough that it was leaking. Some people modify the stock line, or adapt it to relocate out of the way, but for $40 (http://www.cjponyparts.com/intermedi...93/p/MU1021BO/) and a bit of searching for the rear bracket, I didn't see any reason not to use repro parts.
    So what year was the bracket available? '87-'93 dual exhaust cars only? I will be needing a couple in the future some day.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MIKE View Post
    There is currently one in development, hopefully it will be available soon.
    That would be great!

86-95 V8 cars all have the correct bracket.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Pretty sure the '85 dual exhaust cars used the same hardline to hose bracket. '84 dual exhaust cars did not use the banjo fitting.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

There are plenty, Summit has their own brand for ~130 or Flowtechs for ~300.
    Yes, I understand that now. Thank you for the reply. I found a clean 'H Pipe' from a Canadian distributor marketed by "MAC".

http://www.themustangshop.ca/product/300705/658789

I see that there is what seems to be a fresh air induction tube attached to the RH pipe just forward of the cross-over. Why would there be a fresh air induction tube (if that is indeed what it is) on an exhaust system that doesn't have catalytic converters? Do some guys install catalytic converters down-stream of the 'H Pipe'???

(PS: This car is not intended to be a performance build but more of a "Plain Jane" daily driver. I just want an exhaust system that 'appears' stock/factory at at quick glance. I will likely even just keep the factory 2 barrel carb on the engine. I don't want catalytic converters because I've already removed the thermactor system and I figured that leaving the old cats on would just be a fire hazard).

Pretty sure the '85 dual exhaust cars used the same hardline to hose bracket. '84 dual exhaust cars did not use the banjo fitting.
    No 84 had dual exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    No 84 had dual exhaust.
    I know, I just like the look and sound of a dual exhaust. I will probably wind up going for custom pipe work and letting the muffler shop deal with it

Right, I have duals on mine now too and it's an 84. I was just clearing up that one comment so it didn't confuse people looking for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I know, I just like the look and sound of a dual exhaust. I will probably wind up going for custom pipe work and letting the muffler shop deal with it
    You've got an '84 5.0 Mustang with factory exhaust? Isn't that like a single exhaust that splits downstream into two mufflers and two tailpipes or is it a single exhaust all the way to the tailpipe?

What does your car's engine have for the exhaust manifolds???

I see that there is what seems to be a fresh air induction tube attached to the RH pipe just forward of the cross-over. Why would there be a fresh air induction tube (if that is indeed what it is) on an exhaust system that doesn't have catalytic converters? Do some guys install catalytic converters down-stream of the 'H Pipe'???.
    If you have catalyst and want to go racing 'off road' at the drag strip or open track, removing the catalysts will prevent them from being overheated or damaged while hooning around. The Thermacotor tube it used to keep the Thermacotor pump correctly plumbed while racing. Air injected into the exhaust helps reduce emissions and through a second combustion burns off excessive HCs. The exhaust won't stink as bad.
    -Michael

Yeah, I'll keep the old stuff anyway. I've found though that running a car with the old, factory original cats and smog pumps is a liability. The thermactor pumps on the old cars tend to seize, and if it's on a single serpentine belt, then the engine is disabled and the car has to be towed. I had that happen on an '85 LTD a few years ago.

Once an old cat begins to deteriorate it becomes a fire hazard. I once had the catalytic converter on an '80 Zephyr wagon overheat to the point that the whole thing was actually glowing a bright cherry red! I was able to cool it off by throwing handfuls of snow on it before a fire started.

It made the interior of the car smell like roast chicken...

Same here, happened to me, but last all power sounded muffled. Looked under and looked like a cherry on a cigarette.

If your cats are glowing cherry red, the fix is not to lose the cats. The fix is to correct why your engine is
    running pig rich. Glowing red is not the result of a deteriorated catalyst, glowing red because the engine
    is running rich is the cause of it.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast