Close

Default Need recommendations on frame rails

Name:  Screenshot_2015-02-07-21-01-13.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  43.3 KB

Hey guys, sorry that my first few posts are begs for help, but I'm at a standstill. I forgot to enlarge the holes that the crush tubes go into for the k member bolts. The hole is currently 5/8 and it needs opened up to fit in the 3/4in OD crush tubes I am installing. Only the top hole needs enlarged, however, the space to do it is very cramped. I have no room to fit a drill in or hardly anything to enlarge this hole. The rail is already welded in and I am going to start doing some fabrication on the shock towers and fender aprons. I wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations on how to enlarge this hole being there is hardly any room to work The crush tubes are installed from the top and then the bolts are ran through and torqued to 85 ft/lb. I cannot run a smaller crush tube or it will not be strong enough.

Here is a picture showing the exact holes and side that needs opened up to 3/4in
    Name:  Screenshot_2015-02-07-21-01-13 edit.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  44.1 KB

Thanks again guys, have a great weekend

You may be able to use a carbide rotary file in a 90 degree die grinder or drill to open them up.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I would do as suggested above. There is a 90 degree drill attachment, it has a chuck at the end. I would use this, and a step drill bit, not the regular drill bit. I use Harbor freight for one use items like that, but any auto parts tools section has some version store named brand.