Close

Thread: Motorcraft ECT

Default Motorcraft ECT

I am looking for a Motorcraft coolant temp sensor. The one that communicates with the ECM.

I want to be sure I get the correct part. theres plenty on ebay, does anyone know the correct part number for an 84 Stang?
    part #DY681 keeps coming up in my searches but it seems to match up to a Bronco according to Ebay.

Also Motorcraft DY1145 comes up

What size engine?
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    What size engine?
    its an 84 LX 5.0 with CFI

Based on the part you mentioned in your first post, the correct ECT for the 84 5.0 CFI engine is part number E1AZ 12A648-A (DY-303). That part actually superceded a later part number, which is E6DZ 12A648-A (DY-486). Both those part numbers have been superceded by F2AZ 12A648-A (DY-681).

I did a Google search on the "E1AZ" part number and there are still some out there to buy.

85 Mustang GT

Based on the part you mentioned in your first post, the correct ECT for the 84 5.0 CFI engine is part number E1AZ 12A648-A (DY-303). That part actually superceded a later part number, which is E6DZ 12A648-A (DY-486). Both those part numbers have been superceded by F2AZ 12A648-A (DY-681).

I did a Google search on the "E1AZ" part number and there are still some out there to buy.
    Are the DY611 compatible with my engine? I saw some come with a kit to replace the pigtail. I was hoping to not have to do that. I just replaced the pigtail this past summer. that's why im looking for NOS and the correct part that will match my original style pig tail.

I can't find any info on a DY-611 ECT. I would say if you're looking for a NOS ECT for your engine, first I would look for the DY-303, then the DY-681, then lastly the DY-486.

85 Mustang GT

I can't find any info on a DY-611 ECT. I would say if you're looking for a NOS ECT for your engine, first I would look for the DY-303, then the DY-681, then lastly the DY-486.
    Sorry, typo, I meant to say DY681

Theres plenty of them on ebay but Ebay says they aren't compatible with Mustangs. The ebay match isn't always correct though.

I just want one that has the old type round connector with two prong male to female pigtail connection.

You have to remember that Ebay isn't the one who says the DY-681 isn't compatible with Mustangs. The seller is the one who inputs the info on vehicle compatibility. Many times they put in the wrong info.

Here are 4 resellers who show as having at least one of the DY-303 ECT...

http://www.rearcounter.com/E1AZ-12A6...rts331791.html

Either call them or send them an e-mail and have them pull the part and e-mail you a pic of the connector end. Then you'll know if it will fit your pigtail.

85 Mustang GT

Thanks Tbirdman

can I also bother you to help me find the correct part number for a Motorcraft speed sensor that mounts on the side of an AOD transmission?

Again, I used a Standard and it leaks tranny fluid from the speedo cable connection

Thanks so much.

Do you have the part number from the Standard part you used?

85 Mustang GT

Is it this sensor here?...

Name:  Speed Sensor.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  64.5 KB

85 Mustang GT

The speed sensor looks like this

Attachment 80587

This is the durlalast version of it. Ill have to look over my receipts to find the Standard one.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...U1022/image/3/

That diagram looks about right. I'm not sure if it on the right or left of the red arrow. ill have to look under there again.
    I also will be looking to fix my cruise control eventually so this picture is really helpful. I need to find a new cruise control cable. Ive seem plenty for 3.8 Mustangs but none for a 5.0 and no repros for that part are out there either.

Also, I found a DY303 and a DY681.
    Which is a better choice? the DY303 is original equipment, but is the DY681 a performance improvement?

I'd like to decide and buy one this weekend.

The DY-303 is the original service part number. The DY-681 would be the replacement part number when the DY-303 was made obsolete. There would be no performance improvement no matter which one you went with. But if it was me, I would always go with the original part number, the DY-303, if it's available.

If you have factory installed cruise control, the speed sensor part number is E3AZ 9E731-A (DY-382). If you do a Google search, you'll find that there are plenty out there.

If the cruise control was dealer installed, the part number is E4ZZ 9E731-A.

85 Mustang GT

The DY-303 is the original service part number. The DY-681 would be the replacement part number when the DY-303 was made obsolete. There would be no performance improvement no matter which one you went with. But if it was me, I would always go with the original part number, the DY-303, if it's available.

If you have factory installed cruise control, the speed sensor part number is E3AZ 9E731-A (DY-382). If you do a Google search, you'll find that there are plenty out there.

If the cruise control was dealer installed, the part number is E4ZZ 9E731-A.

Thanks so much. Any insight on locating a cruise control cable? It attaches to the throttle parallel to the accelerator cable. it seems to be a vacuum tube with a thing cable inside. Mine was cracked open.

I will send you a pm on the cruise cable.

85 Mustang GT

You have to remember that Ebay isn't the one who says the DY-681 isn't compatible with Mustangs. The seller is the one who inputs the info on vehicle compatibility. Many times they put in the wrong info.

Here are 4 resellers who show as having at least one of the DY-303 ECT...

http://www.rearcounter.com/E1AZ-12A6...rts331791.html

Either call them or send them an e-mail and have them pull the part and e-mail you a pic of the connector end. Then you'll know if it will fit your pigtail.
    The DY681 failed in my car. It kicked up a bunch of error codes that went away when I put the aftermarket part back in.
    Im gonna try the DY303 and see what happens

reviving this old post. As i recall at the time I was trying to find a stock Motorcraft ECT for my 84 5.0 LX convertible. The 3 part numbers that are listed for this car are DY303 the original part number, DY681 superceded and DY1145 which is the most current revision. The DY1145 requires a pigtail replacement.

At the time I had a Niehoff ECT and had just replaced the connector with original type. The car ran OK but I wanted original equipment. The DY681 kicked up a ton of codes of which i dont recall i just remember it was bad enough to pull the part and go back to the Niehoff. I later tried DY303 and the car wouldn't even start so again I went back to the Niehoff and left it in all these years. My car seemed happier with it.

Yesterday i was on the parkway and I started feeling the car buck at cruising speeds. I had this problem way back and turned out to be the O2 was improperly grounded. I know its correct now. I swapped the motor 3 summers back and its grounded to the back of the passenger side head. When i got off the parkway the idle dropped to almost stalling. I had to keep a foot on the gas to keep it running. When i got to my destination i realized I didn't have my code reader with me, so I popped the hood and pulled the plug to the EGR solenoid, a trick an old timer at the parts store had told me few years back. After restarting it ran fine. i was able to drive home about 10 miles no issues.

Ran codes after I got home and first pass I got
    KOEO - 22,21,14,10,18
    KOER - 11

Second pass i got
    KOEO- 11
    KOER - 21, 46

Strange thing is both times the code reader would not go into CM mode. I never saw it do that before. So I dont know which, if any stored codes.

After reading online I saw that if the ECT continuously reads cold it will cause rich condition, stalling, bad spark advance, etc. So I am gonna swap out the ol trusty Niehoff finally. Since i have had bad experience with the DY303 and DY681 I'm going with DY1145 this time. I'm not thrilled to be changing out an original style pigtail but lets hope this corrects whatever is making my car messed up. I notice my gauge is on N most of the time. It raely creeps up past that unless I'm in stop and go traffic on a really hot day.