Close

Default Where's the wagon photo thread?

I'm not sure if my search function is broke but I haven't seen a wagon photo thread, do we have one? Also, what V6 came in the early 80's LTD wagons?

FEP Member

3.8l.... ewwww.... I threw up a little when I said that, lol.

3.8L V6 came in two variations:

EFI (all years)
    carb (1984 only)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by BadZ View Post
    3.8l.... ewwww.... I threw up a little when I said that, lol.
    The early 3.8 was okay, wasn't it? It wasn't until they put SEFI on it and started putting it in Tauri that they started blowing head gaskets left and right. Right?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

No, the early ones had worse head gasket problems.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Alrighty, haha. Perfect excuse for a V8 swap then.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Crap, that's not what I wanted to read. Does anyone know if the accessories and transmission will bolt to a v8?

Also, is there a thread that I missed with wagon photos?

'79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

There ya go. I knew there was one.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Relatively easy fix tho. Ford had program some years back that extended the warranty on the head gaskets, and the service kit and revamped head bolt torque procedure and sequence fixed the problem. Saw many a repaired 3.8 go 150/200k with out any head gasket failures.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Relatively easy fix tho. Ford had program some years back that extended the warranty on the head gaskets, and the service kit and revamped head bolt torque procedure and sequence fixed the problem. Saw many a repaired 3.8 go 150/200k with out any head gasket failures.
    Really? I just remember seeing the shop full of them. My mom might have kept her '94 Taurus a lot longer if it'd had the 3.0.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

Owning a service center, all I see are the bad ones. hahaha! Most are very tired at this point. I'd swap in something else and be done with it. I would love to see someone do a 2.3l turbo in one.

The power steering pump, alternator and maybe the air injection pump may be reused but you will have to get the V8 specific brackets to install them on the V8. I'm not sure about the AC compressor because of the many variations I've seen so that may just need a V8 bracket for the particular AC compressor. The transmission should have the same bolt pattern but you may need a V8 torque converter - not sure if the one for the V6 will bolt to the V8 flexplate (I can find out since I should have them left over from my '82 Cougar wagon). As long as the V8 isn't more than 200HP the trans should be fine without worry of self-destruction. Unless it's an AOD then you may want to upgrade it for reliability and strength.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Thanks Dean, hopefully I won't be doing an engine swap. I still need to find out what year it is and hope it's not completely gutless.

If you're worried about gutless, count your blessings if it's not an I-6.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I got to do the head gasket job twice in our '95 Windstar. The second time around Ford had released
    the kit with the revised head bolts and torque specs. But the real fix was, IIRC, in 1996, when the rest
    of the 3.8 line got the larger head bolts used in the SC engine.

Never had any engine problems in the 2K Windstar, it just couldn't go much more than about 40K miles
    on a transaxle. Last FWD Ford product we ever owned...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I found out its an 83, in 83 is it just a regular carb or did it have any electronics like the 85/86 4cyl? Would it have a regular mechanical fuel pump? He said it has a clogged fuel line and runs if you feed the carb gas. So, if its a mechanical pump I'll run a temporary line to a gas can.
    Last edited by 4EyedTurd; 01-31-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Really? I just remember seeing the shop full of them. My mom might have kept her '94 Taurus a lot longer if it'd had the 3.0.
    Oh, the Ford store I worked at back then was full of them too. The, er, "good old days" when a tech or a parts guy could make a good living just off warranty repairs !
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

3.8L + AXOD = worst factory powertrain combo evar! I used to be a Ford tech and there was a time that I could practically swap out a Windstar transmission with my eyes closed.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Name:  0503141401.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  134.7 KB

This is my 80 Fairmont box top wagon. Currently a 200 six auto C3, but unfortunately I have made the decision to part my 85Gt to make this a little sleeper. I paid $300 plus about another $300 worth of yard work and hanging fans for this old man and woman. It's now mine!

If the '83 LTD is a straight 6 that would be a carbureted 200 CID engine. The upside is it is possible to adapt the 302 V8 T-5 bell housing to fit and have it bolted to a T-5 transmission. Unless someone had replaced the '83 200 with an '81 or earlier high mounted starter then things get a bit tougher to adapt.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura