Close

Default NOS E4DZ-2140-A Master Cylinders on eBay

Hello-

I would love to pick up one of these NOS Master Cylinders off eBay, really just for the Zinc Diochromate cap. The cap looks to be in a little rougher condition that I would like for NOS...I emailed him and he said he just opened one of them to take photos and the gold seemed to have transferred a bit to the plastic bag it was wrapped in. He said the other boxes are still sealed.

I have a gold replacement MC cap that looks OK, but it's not the right finish, especially now against the NOS wiper motor I recently found. Is this about the best MC cap ZD finish I am going to be able to expect to find with a NOS unit and how rarely do these come up? I just started looking for a correct MC cap, so not sure how hard these are to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-NEW-OEM-.../281387545765?

Thanks, Rob
    1985 Mustang GT Vert
    Factory Medium Canyon Red, original top, gray leather, 5-speed, stock premium sound, Flowmaster 40's, BBK x-pipe, MM SFCs, polished 10 holes, Enkei black mesh, 3:73's

Past Rides
    '82 GT
    '84 GT
    '89 GT
    '90 GT
    '96 GT
    '00 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by netminda85 View Post
    Hello-

I would love to pick up one of these NOS Master Cylinders off eBay, really just for the Zinc Diochromate cap. The cap looks to be in a little rougher condition that I would like for NOS...I emailed him and he said he just opened one of them to take photos and the gold seemed to have transferred a bit to the plastic bag it was wrapped in. He said the other boxes are still sealed.

I have a gold replacement MC cap that looks OK, but it's not the right finish, especially now against the NOS wiper motor I recently found. Is this about the best MC cap ZD finish I am going to be able to expect to find with a NOS unit and how rarely do these come up? I just started looking for a correct MC cap, so not sure how hard these are to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-NEW-OEM-.../281387545765?

Thanks, Rob
    Why not just have yours replated??? If it is not rusted/pitted, the plating will look far better than a NOS piece that has shelf wear.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Seems like it wouldn't be worth replating for just one Master Cylinder cover...that is all I have that would need replating. I am assuming most places must have minimum order size.

Thanks for the suggestion...Rob
    1985 Mustang GT Vert
    Factory Medium Canyon Red, original top, gray leather, 5-speed, stock premium sound, Flowmaster 40's, BBK x-pipe, MM SFCs, polished 10 holes, Enkei black mesh, 3:73's

Past Rides
    '82 GT
    '84 GT
    '89 GT
    '90 GT
    '96 GT
    '00 GT vert

That's salty....I bought three of these a few years ago from a guy on ebay that had several, and I THINK I paid $25 each or maybe it was $50?? I definitely didn't spend $300 total for them.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

If you are a do it yourselfer, I would try this from Eastwood.

http://www.eastwood.com/golden-cad-kit.html

A comment on the Eastwood kit:

I have used it for several years. It does a reasonable job of simulating the zinc dichromate finish. The general procedure is to use the gold base then apply the red and green highlights. Interestingly, the red and green highlights don't seem to last very long. I typically respray the them every year or so.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    A comment on the Eastwood kit:

I have used it for several years. It does a reasonable job of simulating the zinc dichromate finish. The general procedure is to use the gold base then apply the red and green highlights. Interestingly, the red and green highlights don't seem to last very long. I typically respray the them every year or so.
    Thanks for the heads up on the kit. As part of my rear end restoration, I have been working on repainting my Koni quad shocks. Actually sprayed the Eastwood Gold base coat yesterday on the arms. Had to try this route because Koni said they don't restore the quad shocks. Anyway, my plan was to apply the two tint colors and then spray the Diamond Clear over that. Maybe that will help prolong the tint.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Supporter

I tried the kit on a couple of parts also. I only gave one attempt so far but the results are encouraging. It will just take practice for how much of each to get the hues just right. I like the idea of clearing over top to extend the lifespan concerns Bob mentioned.

This alternator fan and pulley were my first attempt although I plan to redo them as there ended up being some dry spray on it I wasn't 100% happy with the finished product.

I did this 2.8L water tube also which needs extra attention. The red and green turned a little spotty and uneven in my haste trying to do something round while laying down.

The finish on these onion heads was slightly different so I used some of the Eastwood "Clear Zinc" in the mixture to get closer to the original looking finish.

You can't see the original finish in this picture, but this is what I started with. Not convinced Ford blue was the right one for the nuts plus there was a white spray right on the onion itself I need to look at adding or not.

Looks good. I plan to spray the "tints" later today if I can get the shop temp up.

Typically you can determine the original finish on a part by removing an attachment nut or racket to expose an area that has not "weathered". Looking at your onion head brackets, I am not sure they were originally clear zinc. I would have thought more of a "natural" bare metal. The nuts appear to be originally a "baby" blue or Robin's egg blue. I have some similar hardware painted that color on my SVO.

I love the small details...makes a big difference in the final product.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Looks good. I plan to spray the "tints" later today if I can get the shop temp up.

Typically you can determine the original finish on a part by removing an attachment nut or bracket to expose an area that has not "weathered". Looking at your onion head brackets, I am not sure they were originally clear zinc. I would have thought more of a "natural" bare metal. The nuts appear to be originally a "baby" blue or Robin's egg blue. I have some similar hardware painted that color on my SVO.

I love the small details...makes a big difference in the final product.
    I knew the blue was not right on the nuts after I painted them. The finish on the brackets actually seems close. I used the plain zinc in conjunction with the gold to lighten it up to what looked more OEM. I have no idea if the original was "natural". Most of the finish was rusty. Maybe it was natural but it really looked too "yellow" for natural.

I like the details too.

You can see a little of the finish in this picture:

Name:  IMG_4184.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  129.9 KB

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

You do good work and I appreciate your attention to detail.

Here are a couple of really low mile 79 Mustangs if you want to compare Onion Heads and the blue bolts.

Here is one from a 105 mile Turbo 4 Pace Car

This one is from a 300 mile V8 Pace Car.

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 02-18-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I tried the kit on a couple of parts also. I only gave one attempt so far but the results are encouraging. It will just take practice for how much of each to get the hues just right. I like the idea of clearing over top to extend the lifespan concerns Bob mentioned.

This alternator fan and pulley were my first attempt although I plan to redo them as there ended up being some dry spray on it I wasn't 100% happy with the finished product.

I did this 2.8L water tube also which needs extra attention. The red and green turned a little spotty and uneven in my haste trying to do something round while laying down.

The finish on these onion heads was slightly different so I used some of the Eastwood "Clear Zinc" in the mixture to get closer to the original looking finish.

You can't see the original finish in this picture, but this is what I started with. Not convinced Ford blue was the right one for the nuts plus there was a white spray right on the onion itself I need to look at adding or not.

Wow...that looks great. I tried this on my wiper motor, but it just looked like gold paint...probably user error more than anything.

Rob
    1985 Mustang GT Vert

Past Rides
    '82 GT
    '84 GT
    '89 GT
    '90 GT
    '96 GT
    '00 GT vert

Man you guys make me not want to open my hood
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Well since Koni does not rebuild the quad shocks for my SVO, I decided to try out the Eastwood Golden Cad paint system...

The shocks were cleaned, bead blasted, epoxy primed, and then painted. Overall, I am pleased with the Eastwood product. I did spray on a couple of coats of the Diamond Clear for added protection on the faux "zinc dichromate" finish.

Here is a picture of the quad shocks from my SVO before;

Name:  quad shocks before.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  105.8 KB

And after. I did elect to reposition the decals vs. the original kinda random pattern...

Name:  quad shocks restored.jpg
Size:  117.3 KB
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Great Job!

QUOTE=bluemax;1714467]Well since Koni does not rebuild the quad shocks for my SVO, I decided to try out the Eastwood Golden Cad paint system...

The shocks were cleaned, bead blasted, epoxy primed, and then painted. Overall, I am pleased with the Eastwood product. I did spray on a couple of coats of the Diamond Clear for added protection on the faux "zinc dichromate" finish.

And after. I did elect to reposition the decals vs. the original kinda random pattern...

Size:  117.3 KB[/QUOTE]

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Really nice work blue max those are awesome looking.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Well since Koni does not rebuild the quad shocks for my SVO, I decided to try out the Eastwood Golden Cad paint system...

Size:  117.3 KB

Those shocks turned out great. Your attention to detail is superb.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars