Close

FEP User
    Vancouver BC Canada 20 minutes to border !

Default 78 fairmont manual rack same as mustang II ???

Hi guys is the 78 fairmont manual rack totally different than other fairmont racks ? looking up new parts and mustang II is the same for 78 only ?? also going with 351 windsor and headers any recommendations for easy fitment ? have new 5.0 convertible motor mounts.

FEP Member

Everything I've researched says the racks are different. I have a mustang II rack in my shop that I could compare, but it'll have to wait till the snow melts. I have Kauffman swap headers and oil pan and they fit very well. I have a thread on here about installing 3" exhaust that has some pics. But I also have a tubular k-member and I think almost anything would fit well, lol. The hood clearance can be an issue. A good dropped base air cleaner and small hood scoop sure help. My air cleaner BARELY clears my scoop.

Someday I'll be swapping to a newer powertrain and selling my complete set up. Someday...

I have a 78 Z7 with a manual rack out of a newer (1980ish) mustang. I believe the mustang II is a totally different animal.

FEP User

Thanks guys, rdfox sounds good to me i'll be running stock crossmember, I figure the weight loss going manual is cost effective and helps with my budget build. 3" exhaust ? I'll check it out.

FEP Member

Confirmed on the racks. Completely different animal.

Yep, Mustang II is 15" center to center mounting, Fox is 15.5". If you want a manual rack, just buy a manual rack for a Fox body.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

There was a manual rack fairmont from the factory i thought.

I used the flaming river mustang kit. With aje k

FEP User

OK, thanks BadZ, I haven't called a parts store yet but I'm not finding the rubber steering coupler listed on rock auto or a couple of on line sources. Is there a interchange option ?