Close

Talking 1983-86 Taillight Restoration to like new!

Couldn't find any threads like this by searching and have seen some people asking about this.

These were the first set I attempted at restoring for my '85 SSP. Take your time and don't rush! I think it took me two days, off and on between drying times and other projects, to do the set.

First off start with gently prying the taillight from the housing on the wrap around side (put some masking tape around the end of a flathead screwdriver) and then work your way around until you can lift it off by hand.

Next, start wet sanding the lenses starting with 800 grit paper, and then move up the steps 1000-1200-1500-1800-2000. I think I skipped the 1800 and you don't have to go any further than 2k. Use a foam wet sanding block or a strip of a new scotch brite pad as to not sand in finger impressions. On the sections that will be painted, you don't have to sand them further than 800 to scuff them up. If there are deep scratches in the lenses you can start with 600 to sand them out quicker, or use a small amount of filler if they are in painted areas and sand that down. I didn't worry about sanding the small edges of the lighted portions of the lens as it's a pain to polish scratches out of an area like that by hand.

I polished the lighted areas before painting so that I wouldn't mess up the new paint. You can buff them out by hand with a microfiber towel or use a small pad on a drill if you have one (not sure if it will melt the plastic or not). I use the 3M Perfect-It series compounds for everything I polish. The lenses could have been polished out real nice with just compound but I chose to go the extra mile.
    Buff out the scratches until you get a very nice clear finish and don't see any haze from the wet sanding scratches.

Lens after completed polishing on a partway restored housing (we're getting to that!)

I used 2" masking tape to mask off the freshly polished lighted sections. Firmly press the tape down onto the lens and use your finger nail or a tooth pick to press the tape into the sharp paint break line. Use a sharp exacto knife blade to cut the tape along that line and peel off the excess tape. Go over the edge again to make sure paint won't bleed under.
    Scuff the paint one more time with a dry grey scotch bright pad to get any areas that might have been polished in the previous step.

Paint! SEM 39153 is a near perfect match for the 85-6 Gray, and SEM 39143 is a pretty close match to the '79-84 trim color. I'd let it sit a few days to cure but it dries to the touch within an hour.

Now for the housings! Alot less effort than the lenses lol. All I did was take out the old caulking and clean/scuff all the areas to be painted with dawn dish soap on a gray scotch brite pad.
    Taped off the areas around the reflectors

I painted two sets of housings, one with gloss white and another with a bright metallic aluminum to see which was brighter (I used the bright aluminum ones anyway for a stock appearance). I didn't take any pics of the silver though

Reversed the masking to paint the gray

And the finished products. Silver on the left, white on the right

I think this had the white reflectors, but I did paint up a silver set and used it instead

Hope this can help a few people out!
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

Very nice
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Great write up!

I've heard about people using adhesive backed foil to line the inside of the tail lamp housings also.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

FEP Supporter

Right on, that looks good. It would be cool to see a side by side comparison with the two different backgrounds.

Now I feel confident to try polishing some up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Great write up...they look great. My taillights were a little hazy, but didn't need full restoration. If anyone is in that same situation, try some of they Meguiars Ultimate Compound...it took the small amount of haziness I had off my tail lights and shined them up like new. I love that Ultimate Compound...it takes small marks and scuffs off and is safe on paint and plastic.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to provide another option if your tail lights do not need full restoration. Again...great job on this full tail light restoration...they look like new!

Thanks, Rob
    1985 Mustang GT Vert
    Factory Medium Canyon Red, original top, gray leather, 5-speed, stock premium sound, Flowmaster 40's, BBK x-pipe, MM SFCs, polished 10 holes, Enkei black mesh, 3:73's

Past Rides
    '82 GT
    '84 GT
    '89 GT
    '90 GT
    '96 GT
    '00 GT vert

Didn't you do this a few years ago as well? I use a headlight restore kit with my drill and it works great. 83-86 lights are a whole lot quicker to do than the 79-82 lights.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Good job and write up
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

That is a terrific write up, but I don't think that I'm brave enough to try wet sanding plastic. Clearly, it works, but with he quality of products out there to restore headlights, I'd probably go that route instead. Either way, it's definitely cheaper than paying 75.00 per unit for aftermarket replacements.

Good job!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

looks brand new!

Thanks Everyone! If anyone else has tips feel free to post them as well!

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    Didn't you do this a few years ago as well?
    I feel like I did, but before I made this I tried looking and didn't see anything. I probably did a better write up on this one though
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

Gotcha!
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

WOW, they look great!! Better than when they rolled off the assembly line!

I've done this before using a "chrome" spray paint for the inner reflector parts of the housing. Very nice and bright when assembled!
    You can also follow up with thin black vinyl pinstripes to replicate the SVO and '93 Cobra lenses without having to paint. Looks OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    I've done this before using a "chrome" spray paint for the inner reflector parts of the housing. Very nice and bright when assembled!
    You can also follow up with thin black vinyl pinstripes to replicate the SVO and '93 Cobra lenses without having to paint. Looks OEM.
    +1 I did this over a decade ago, but the original painted stripes were charcoal on the 93 Cobra/R and the 85-86 SVO. Only the 84 SVO got black painted stripes; I think anyways. The body shop where I had the stripes put on did a fantastic job and I've had these same lenses on an 89, 90, 92 and 93 in the last. They're on my 86 now and only starting to show wear. I've another pair of lenses that I intend following this write up on. I think I'll go with the high contrast white for the inner frames though.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

Great information and work.