Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hemmings Motor News Feb 2015 - Muscle Car Profile - 1982 Mustang GT

Some foureyed press in the latest Hemmings Motor News.

They keep popping up in classic car/muscle car rags. Our time is coming soon ladies and gents. Get one while the gettings good (notch, SSP notch, Saleen , PC, Cobra, SVO, GT Turbo, etc).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    They keep popping up in classic car/muscle car rags. Our time is coming soon ladies and gents. Get one while the gettings good (notch, SSP notch, Saleen , PC, Cobra, SVO, GT Turbo, etc).
    relax

I might have something is more important then any of those you list.
    Last edited by Sinister; 01-13-2015 at 01:11 AM.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Too late for my '84 Notch. I changed the engine bay wiring while converting the car to SEFI and now the sun roof may be deleted (haven't decided to use the donor roof or not - still drilling spot welds; over 150 at last count...).
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Too late for my '84 Notch. I changed the engine bay wiring while converting the car to SEFI and now the sun roof may be deleted (haven't decided to use the donor roof or not - still drilling spot welds; over 150 at last count...).
    you cant save that roof huh ? that roof is wat make it a coupe, or else its a convertible.

Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 01-13-2015 at 01:17 AM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

The '82 GT is way under-rated as far as its importance to the automotive world goes. It's easily forgotten, because Ford kept on improving them every year after. The '64 GTO was the first musclecar, and the '82 GT is the second coming of the musclecar. It's possibly my favorite out of all Mustangs, just because of the way it looks.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Get one while the gettings good (notch, SSP notch, Saleen , PC, Cobra, SVO, GT Turbo, etc).
    I must be the only one into Foxes that doesn't see the premium for the notch. They are less practical, they don't weigh that much less, all of these cars need bracing and once that is done, they are marginally stiffer and they don't look as pleasing to my eye. I like all the body styles, but if you offered me an 86 LX 5.0 Notch or an 86 GT hatch and price and condition were equal, I'm taking the hatch. Guess that works out in my favor.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I must be the only one into Foxes that doesn't see the premium for the notch. They are less practical, they don't weigh that much less, all of these cars need bracing and once that is done, they are marginally stiffer and they don't look as pleasing to my eye. I like all the body styles, but if you offered me an 86 LX 5.0 Notch or an 86 GT hatch and price and condition were equal, I'm taking the hatch. Guess that works out in my favor.
    I agree, I think the notch is a little over hyped. The other day my buddy told me that it is too bad my Mustang is the GT hatch instead of a notch. He said notches are 300 pounds lighter and so much faster. I told him the hatch doesnt weigh 300 pounds plus the hatch is better looking imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post

I believe the reason for premium for coupes are possibly

they were the lightest,fastest from the factory
    they were police cars
    most likely to be modified, raced, making a stockish one difficult to find

with that being said I have a 92 5.0 coupe and a 92 5.0 hatch, I'd rather drive the hatch

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

You do bring up a good point of the difficulty of finding a stockish one. Stock hatches, even if beat to death, do seem to be more prevalent.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

I tell you why the fox body value go up, they made million of these cars and why it rare and every body want it. I tell you why, I blame on drag racing, peoples use these body as drag racing and they crash it, I seen thousand thousand of fox body crash ( mostly notch ), after crash what the owner do, go find another notch, and crash again, and find another notch, these body is light, best for stock suspension set up, and plenty aftermarket part to support it, peoples saw some one making so much power and win KOTS, grudge racing, and what every one do ? they want the same thing, so every one want a fox body ( notch ). Its so high in demand right now ( notch ), if they cant find a notch and saw a good body hatchback, they snatch that too, so peoples jack the price up, also they modified these cars to H***, and its hard to find stock one, so what peoples do, they jack the price up.

notch ( aero ) still the HIGHEST demand right now when it come to foxbody , not a saleen, gts, or cobra,,,,YES its rare for collector stand point , but its not high demand for most peoples right now. Not what they intent to do with it ( drag .. ) or try to save it from turn into drag .

and convertible and T-top, sun roof, moon roof, is still in high demand for those just want go cruising and leave stockist ....

rust free original low miles still high demand as well, no matter which body style its.

now if your fox body still stock, or very light mod, your fox fit in the catalog as " survivor " and these survivor is what keep the value.

what I am try to say is, foxbody is coming back and they coming back strong, they are all high demand now, all body style, all type, all engine, they all high demand now.
    Last edited by Sinister; 01-13-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StangerGT View Post
    I agree, I think the notch is a little over hyped. The other day my buddy told me that it is too bad my Mustang is the GT hatch instead of a notch. He said notches are 300 pounds lighter and so much faster. I told him the hatch doesnt weigh 300 pounds plus the hatch is better looking imo.
    I have to agree I prefer the hatch because it reminds me of the fastbacks of the 60's, the notches are great too, each to their own because they are all very cool.

There were far fewer made in addition to what FM2Notch mentioned.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by JayStang View Post
    I have to agree I prefer the hatch because it reminds me of the fastbacks of the 60's, the notches are great too, each to their own because they are all very cool.
    why not have both ?

I think part of it is people getting burned out on seeing every coupe modified, I believe my 92 is the most stockish one I've seen in person the last 2 years

had a good friend who has been modifying coupes for years tell me one time he loved the way my coupe looked, he said thats the way they are supposed to look, kinda shocked me hearing it from him.

save all those stock parts, the day is coming and I feel like it's just around the corner
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 01-13-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Racing isn't what's trashed the majority of the ones gone. Sure, lots have been hacked up, modified, raced and subsequently crashed, but more of them have been destroyed on the highways by drivers who wrecked them, people who owned them in the rust belt, and the simple fact that they're cheap cars. When a transmission blows in a cheap car, the owner usually scraps it. Cheap cars also fall into the hands of those who don't care about maintaining them and they end up being recycled. Lots of them end up parted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    I think part of it is people getting burned out on seeing every coupe modified, I believe my 92 is the most stockish one I've seen in person the last 2 years
    Very true, yours is one of the least modified ones I have seen in person too.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I've had pretty much all of the foxbody years and loved all of them. Thats what makes them special, an assortment of body styles. Everyone can like what they individually prefer. In my early years I preferred the flashy GTs, then the GT Convertibles, bought and drove them new off the dealer lots. As I've become much older, I especially like the notchback coupes for their lightweight, simplistic and austere good looks.
    "just the basics" light, simple, quick, special hi-po Ford smallblock, and gotta have it 5 speed. I must admit, they have a very different driving feel than convertibles and hatchbacks, just different and a feeling I prefer. They are very stout. I have an 89 for showing and also a 92 for fun. The 89 100% stock, the 92 is close to stock as well but some cool "day-two" mods, exhaust, shifter, suspension. Both rust free and no undercoating. They are tough too find in rock solid condition for reasonable prices these days.
    but, like most have said, it's nice to have choices of which models you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    I believe the reason for premium for coupes are possibly

they were the lightest,fastest from the factory
    they were police cars
    most likely to be modified, raced, making a stockish one difficult to find

with that being said I have a 92 5.0 coupe and a 92 5.0 hatch, I'd rather drive the hatch

FEP Power Member

1982 GT Rules!!! If I was to design a car, it would be the 82 GT with Recaro seats....

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer82gt View Post
    1982 GT Rules!!! If I was to design a car, it would be the 82 GT with Recaro seats....
    that just cosmetic , you can put recaro seat right now.

I can't find the article? Is it viewable only through a paid subscription?

nm...found it

Quote Originally Posted by rbonif View Post
    nm...found it
    can you post link, thanks

You need a paid subscription (which I don't have) to read the whole article. Perhaps if someone here does they can copy/paste the article...ty

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/..._feature4.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast