Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Finally got this fixed. I ended up taking it to a different muffler shop, based on a recommendation of a friend. I was not able to stay with the car to see the work (which I really like to do). The guy cut the passenger side of the y-pipe at the crux and he noted that the pipe was under stress from the previous install, since it moved after the final cut. With the short passenger side pipe and cat in his hand, he could see that the cone of the pipe was larger than the ball of the header. I will admit that I did not carefully trial fit the passenger header to the y-pipe before initial installation, though I did do so on the driver side heat riser valve (which is a good fit). He said that he inserted a sleeve with a slightly smaller cone into the passenger side cone. The next time I'm under the car I'll take a look to see how this looks, though I might not be able to really see the work until next time I remove the y-pipe. He welded the passenger side pipe back into place, and from a quick look under the car it looks ok. Overall, I think this is a cleaner-looking solution than cutting the driver side pipe and welding in a sleeve in the middle (like the other muffler shop had suggested).

The passenger header is stamped 1621 (for 79-85) and the y-pipe is apparently an original OEM piece, so I don't know how to explain the mismatch. When I talked to the tech at JBA a few weeks ago and asked about the fit, he said that they don't know of any fitment problems with other customers.

Without the exhaust leak I can hear the natural exhaust sound more clearly, which is deeper and racier than before. I still have factory-style single exhaust and cats, but with a Magnaflow knock-off muffler (still a little too quiet for me). Off-throttle popping seems to be louder, too. The engine does feel like it is maybe a little stronger in the upper RPM range, but low end torque is still noticeably weaker. I haven't had a chance to make some runs with AFR data recording, but will try that and post results in my other thread soon ... when the rain here stops!
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Another recent thread reminded me that I need to update this thread. This is to explain some of the accessories that came with the headers. Note that none of these are described in the instructions that I received and the tech that I spoke to at JBA wasn't familiar with these parts. I was disappointed by their lack of knowledge, but not that surprised given the level of technical expertise at too many product companies.

Here is the part that I really needed. When I was having trouble getting the passenger side header to seal to the 85 y-pipe, I talked to a tech at JBA a couple of times. He never mentioned the need to use this part. But the guy at the muffler shop installed a part essentially like this to seal the leak. I just didn't realize the purpose of this part at the time. I think I could have used this part to provide a good seal between the passenger header cone flange and the 85 y-pipe which is a little too large for the header cone. I don't know if this part can be used without welding, but the guy at the muffler shop welded in a part like this. The part would slip inside the passenger side of the 85 y-pipe and provide a smaller mating surface for the header cone flange.

This is one of the heat stove pipes that connect to the heated air tube for the dual snorkel air cleaner inlets. They have to be strapped on with a worm clamp. JACook has commented that earlier versions of these came welded to the headers. My kit only came with one of these, but JBA did send another one to me for free. I haven't installed these, yet.

Here is a thick cone that is apparently for welding onto the flat driver's side header flange for connection to an 86-93 H-pipe without the heat riser (flapper) valve.

Last edited by Saturn V; 04-30-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12