Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Factory Look, In Dash Volt Meter

So I found this place that converts amp meters to volt meters.

http://www.rccinnovations.com/index....=menu-volt-all

I e-mailed them pics of the 83-86 ammeter and they said
    they could convert it to a volt meter. Only $35-40, seemed
    like a pretty good deal.

I also stumbled on this overlay kit from LMR.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...auge-Kit-83-86

I called them to try and find out who made these, but they
    they claimed it was an in house brand and either didn't know
    (or more likely did not want to say).

I'd like to have an overlay made with the same "tick" marks and batt symbol,
    but remove the +/- and change "amp" to "volt".

Any idea who could make an overlay like this. Ideally, whoever made the
    "AMP" one for LMR would be able to do it easy (and it looks like they have
    colors/symbols down cold), but other suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by OX1; 01-09-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    So I found this place that converts amp meters to volt meters.

http://www.rccinnovations.com/index....=menu-volt-all

I e-mailed them pics of the 83-86 ammeter and they said
    they could convert it to a volt meter. Only $35-40, seemed
    like a pretty good deal.

I also stumbled on this overlay kit from LMR.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...auge-Kit-83-86

I called them to try and find out who made these, but they
    they claimed it was an in house brand and either didn't know
    (or more likely did not want to say).

I'd like to have an overlay made with the same "tick" marks and batt symbol,
    but remove the +/- and change "amp" to "volt".

Any idea who could make an overlay like this. Ideally, whoever made the
    "AMP" one for LMR would be able to do it easy (and it looks like they have
    colors/symbols down cold), but other suggestions are welcome.
    I could be wrong, but I think this is where the gauge faces are coming from:

http://www.whitegauges.net/products/...ce-Gauges.html

The reason why I think that is that's where the gauge needle paint that LMRS has is coming from.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think this is where the gauge faces are coming from:

http://www.whitegauges.net/products/...ce-Gauges.html

The reason why I think that is that's where the gauge needle paint that LMRS has is coming from.
    Thanks a lot, you are probably right. I called them and they would do one for $25.
    Each guage layover normally cost $10, so I ordered 2 for $35. They are going to send me a
    proof for approval next week. I'd guess once done, anyone could order one for $10

The company doing voltmeter conversion said it would be better to put the layover on
    before they do the conversion work so you don't screw up needle. This company also
    repaints your needle to factory color which is cool as it seems the ammeter needle
    always fades faster than the rest, for some reason.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Great idea,
    90 LX Sport 5.0 5spd
    85 GT Vert 5spd
    600 F2/3 Track bike
    CR500

Quote Originally Posted by DonDDR View Post
    Great idea,
    Thanks, been thinking about it for a while.
    Just grabbed an entire cluster with a busted speedo needle for $30 shipped off Corral.
    Figure I will keep my original ammeter just in case.

The guy doing conversion said ammeter does not even need to work, he only uses needle, case, and rear studs.

Got the second proof today.
    Lettering (font) on second try (far right) looks almost perfect.
    Can't decide if I want lines to be a bit thinner.

The center white tick mark would be 12.5 volts.
    Would love to add numbers, but i don't think it would
    look as close to factory, as it does now.

Stock guages for reference

I agree the right one looks spot on.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

The one on the right looks good...I think if the text was any thinner, it wouldn't look right.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

I agree on the one on the right: but maybe add 10 & 15 for the - & +? I guess you just hook up the poles to the battery connections?

On this same type of conversion, I'd love to have a real, time and pressure oil gauge like the one on my Silverado; yea I know it's a chevy but I do like seeing the real oil pressure sweep with rpm as opposed to our general 'normal' almost an idiot style gauge. I'd love the same on the temperature gauge too with real numbers. The only other thing I'd like would be to isolate it from changing the gauge values when an electrical load is applied like the lights or vents as it does factory-wise.

-j

Quote Originally Posted by burntorange84 View Post
    I agree on the one on the right: but maybe add 10 & 15 for the - & +? I guess you just hook up the poles to the battery connections?

On this same type of conversion, I'd love to have a real, time and pressure oil gauge like the one on my Silverado; yea I know it's a chevy but I do like seeing the real oil pressure sweep with rpm as opposed to our general 'normal' almost an idiot style gauge. I'd love the same on the temperature gauge too with real numbers. The only other thing I'd like would be to isolate it from changing the gauge values when an electrical load is applied like the lights or vents as it does factory-wise.

-j
    Yeah, just hook it up. The wires already run out to the engine compartment near start solenoid.
    I thought about numbers, but was trying to keep it as authentic as possible.
    I figure a battery in good shape is 12.6 usually, so if it is above that, it must be charging.
    Problem I had with ammeter is needle never moved, not even when it was new.
    That and I'm upgrading to 3G, so can't use ammeter anymore anyway.

The cost for a new overlay is $25 and for one that is already done is $10.
    So you could have one done any way you want for $25. After I am done,
    anyone could buy mine for $10.

My OP and Temp guages sweep, but oil pressure is not nearly as fast
    as a mechanical guage. I'm fine with that as long as it reads the same
    spot at idle and cruise as it always does, I'm happy.
    Last edited by OX1; 01-21-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

This is a pretty cool thread. I too, have always thought that the Amp gauges were useless. Mine does work, as the needle moves when I turn on the headlights or the heater fan but I prefer a volt gauge myself. I really like how you're incorporating that factory look with it. Let us know how it all works out for you.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Problem I had with ammeter is needle never moved, not even when it was new.
    That and I'm upgrading to 3G, so can't use ammeter anymore anyway.
    JaCook had a post about cleaning the posts of the ammeter with white vinegar and that woke it up. If I have kind of a low battery condition, it will move the needle about half way once she fires up. Otherwise it has a slight positive when normally charging.

I thought I saw someone/thread about using the ammeter with the 3G; but I do like the voltmeter too!

Do let us know how it turns out! One day I may make/convert to a real time oil pressure in the same factory style conversion; but at this stage in life I'll live with "normal" gauges!

-j

JaCook had a post about cleaning the posts of the ammeter with white vinegar and that woke it up. If I have kind of a low battery condition, it will move the needle about half way once she fires up. Otherwise it has a slight positive when normally charging.

I thought I saw someone/thread about using the ammeter with the 3G; but I do like the voltmeter too!

Do let us know how it turns out! One day I may make/convert to a real time oil pressure in the same factory style conversion; but at this stage in life I'll live with "normal" gauges!

-j
    I've owned upwards of 20 or more 78/79 full size broncos over the years that use essentially
    the same ammeter. If they worked, the movement was always very small. Never have been a
    big fan of ammeters, even aftermarket.

I have the overlays coming Tues I believe. Have to install overlay and then send out gauge.
    I did notice on the front of the guage face, was very small raised lettering for PN
    molded in the plastic. Not sure if I want to try and file that down before I install
    overlay.................

So factory casting had raised letters for Ford logo and PN.

which I felt needed to be filed/sanded off

Got the overlay and it looked really good.............
    (being really picky, you could say battery symbol should
    be a hair wider and tick marks/volt lettering could be a
    tick thinner)

I would like to say that getting the overlay to stick in the exact
    spot was super easy, but it wasn't. Lets just say that pointer
    is a real trooper, as I abused the heck out of it. I may touch
    up white areas on bottom with some flat black, but I don't think
    you will even see that area.

So now it is off the the guage converter to make it a real voltmeter.
    Anyone who wants to order that overlay, it's under Henry Oxley,
    volt guage overlay for 86 mustang. Should be $10..........

Looks great! Do you need to repaint the Needle or do they do that?

Are the overlays just stickers or do they have a firm backing to keep them from flexing?

Thanks for sharing and let us know when you get it working.

-j

Looks great! Do you need to repaint the Needle or do they do that?

Are the overlays just stickers or do they have a firm backing to keep them from flexing?

Thanks for sharing and let us know when you get it working.
    -j
    Place that converts meter claims they repaint needle factory color.

The overlay is a thick plastic and while plenty sticky, I did pull it off
    and reposition at least 4 or 5 times with no problem.

No backing of any sort, not sure I'd want it any thicker or any backing really,
    it lays on pretty nice as is.

That looks spot on...very cool little mod. I like things like this, and because of your attention to detail it will be hard for even a trained eye to see the upgrade. Can't wait to see it done and back in the cluster (and back on the car).

Well done!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

So, you're aware that you'll have to mod the wiring a bit to make the new Volt meter work, yes? It won't
    be difficult, and can all be done within the instrument cluster connector, but the specifics will depend on
    the polarity of the connections once it's been modded. Hopefully it will come back with the studs marked
    to indicate the polarity.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    So, you're aware that you'll have to mod the wiring a bit to make the new Volt meter work, yes? It won't
    be difficult, and can all be done within the instrument cluster connector, but the specifics will depend on
    the polarity of the connections once it's been modded. Hopefully it will come back with the studs marked
    to indicate the polarity.
    Of course. I already found and cut off the two wires in engine compartment that go to the amp-meter.
    Would love to be able to use wiring that goes through cluster connector, if for no other
    reason it makes it 1000 times easier if cluster ever has to come out again. After that I would cut
    into harness as needed, not too worried about ever putting it back to factory stock at this point.

and yeah, I'm sure they mark studs, but not too hard to figure it out even if they don't.

So where does one go for a how-to on the wiring to make the voltmeter work?
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

It just needs switched power from the ignition, and a ground. How to interface it with the Instrument Panel Printed Circuit Board is another good question. If you can't use the IPPCB, simply install a plug style connector between the gauge itself, and the wiring coming from the car.

If I was going to do that mod, and I might someday, I'd probably just try to modify a Volt gauge out of a newer Ford. The biggest hurdles would be fitment to the cluster, and making a Four-Eye style thin metal needle work with it.

That mod will really trip up those observant enough to notice it...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Hi,

Any update on this? I've been wanting to do this since a friend with an late 60's Mustang had them update his gauges.

Thanks,

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Finally working on finishing the engine compartment wiring.
    Would like to use original amp meter wires in engine compartment
    for volt meter. Supposedly they are Red/Orange and Yellow/Lt Green.

Pretty sure these are them.........
    (pic is harness, just forward of drivers strut tower)

Want to tie those two wires directly to battery through a
    relay so that the voltmeter can be switched, but pick
    up as true a source as I can get.

Any reason I cannot put power and ground to those two wires?
    (in other words, anything else tied to that circuit, I'm guessing no)

Got the cluster out and the voltmeter in.

Nice that he puts a small red and black mark on each stud,
    as I forgot to look to see which one was which, before I installed it.

Voltages vs Needle sweep

Last edited by OX1; 10-12-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Damn that's badass!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast