Close

Question 5.0 to 3.8 swap Questions?

Alright I'm new to the fox body's. I have a 1983 ford mustang convertible with a 3.8 in it and the frame is completely rotted out and the engine was recently rebuilt. So I bought a 1983 Capri with no engine to stick the 3.8 in. The Capri was a 5.0 car and is completely gutted inside. So my question is, is how hard is it going to be to do this swap? What am i going to half to change on the Capri? and How much of the mustang parts are interchangeable? Thank You!

You won't have to change much, the engine and transmission only probably with both of them having been carbureted. All mechanical parts interchange and most body/interior parts, except one being a convertible limits the latter two.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Thank you Travis T! How different are their motor mounts?

You'll have to use the V6 engine mounts but they will fit the V8 crossmember.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

The drive train from the Mustang should be a bolt in swap. Keep the Mustang around until the swap is completed so you have all the little things. The dash & front seats will fit in the Capri, carpet may not be a direct fit. The rear seat is different on convertibles as is the interior quarter panels.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Pedal swap will be the biggest pain, the 5.0 car being a manual and the 3.8 being an automatic. You don't have to change out the bracket and you could just simply remove the clutch pedal.

Just leave the clutch pedal set up alone. It won't effect anything, except you will have a smaller brake pedal. And maybe how your neutral safety works.

Alright thanks guys. I have already removed the clutch pedal and stated to fit all electrical in the Capri. I have also fit new control arms and sve lowering springs. I payed 1500 for the Capri do you guys think this was a good deal? It had a brand new ford 9inch under set up for drag racing, roll cage and new paint job.

That's going to be some serious over kill for a 3.8, but sounds like a fair deal for what you describe

My guess is the 9" will already have some good gears which will make that 3.8 feel rather sporty off the line.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

FEP Senior Member

You may also run into a problem with the auto shifter. If it is a capri with the T5, it will have a raised trans hump, if it had the srod, the shifter will bolt right in. Compare the two humps. By the way, you might be able to recoup some of your money by parting out whats left of the mustang. Dont tighten the control arms untill you have motor and trans in, with the weight on the springs, otherwise, it will look like a 4x4.

Again thanks everybody for the great information. The guy I bought this car form use it as a drag car until he blew up the 5.0 that is why it has the 9inch and roll cage. I took the 9inch out of the Capri because it had a very high gear ratio that was not practical for the 3.8l and put the 7.5 in. Whats real worth parting out on the mustang?

FEP Senior Member

Tail lights, rear bumper cover, front bumper cover, convertible trunk lid. there are a great many things that people need, shoot, if the top and frame is good, I'd be interested in the whole assembly.