Close

Default 84 - 84.5 rear spoilers

I have a early 10/83 1984 GT that has the squared rear spoiler do the 1984 1/2 GT's have the rounded spoiler like the 85-85 years?

Thanks

yes the same but 86 has third brake light

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I have a 12/83 Mustang and it has the one piece spoiler as shown but no air dam.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Thanks for the information

Travis, I had a black one with the one piece rear spoiler and the non fog light (83) style front fascia on my '84 GT. (no hood scoop either)

Mine is black too. It also has the quad shocks.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

The rear spoiler and front valance with the fog lights were rolling model year changes. The front valance was actually supposed to be a dealer installed item (would have been just the lower section) before Ford decided to install them on the assembly line (as the full bumper cover). That might be why some cars have the one piece spoiler but no front valance with fog lights. I've seen a couple of pictures of GT's with the one piece spoiler but no front fog light valance. The quad shocks and deletion of the hood scoop (for the 5.0 GT's) started off at the beginning of the 84 model year.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Early 84 GTs had slapped bars instead of quad shocks. I rectified my front bumper issue as soon as I found a suitable bumper I could afford.

non-foglamp front bumper cover > foglamp front bumper cover
    three-piece rear spoiler > one-piece rear spoiler
    slapper bar rear suspension > Quadra-Shock rear suspension

All three came into 1984 model year production three months after production started (around December 1983), but not all at the same time.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 01-05-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I'm going to order a Marti report on my GT soon, I have found dates of 12/23/83 on part of the car so I'm curious as to what the actual build date was on it.

My 84 is black also, with 83 type nose, squared spoiler, no scoop, and slapper bars.

Marti report on mine shows built Feb 84. I have quads, one piece spoiler, and fog light bumper cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which ones are more desireable/harder to find?Fog light bumper covers or non fog light bumper covers.How about the three piece spoilers vs the one piece spoilers.My 84 has fog lights and had a one piece spoiler that I changed out for a three piece.I also bought a spare front bumper cover with fog lights for a spare.

Fog light bumpers were used on the GT only for half a year, where as the other bumper was used on all 83s and all other 84s. Fog light bumpers are far more scarce. The one piece spoiler is fairly scarce being 84.5 GTs and 85 GTs only. The three piece was on 79 pace cars, 80-81 Cobras and 82-83 GTs and some Capris.

Thanks for the info.I was going to sell all my spare parts but I think I'll keep my extra front and rear bumpers.

If you have room for them, definitely hold onto them! I looked for years for an 84 1/2 bumper before I found one with extensions for $200 practically on my way home from work, and he threw in the rear because he was an 85-86 only guy.