Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Used OEM Parts Score!!! I think...

So I'm locating some missing parts for the Tu-tone coupe resto project... BTW my kids have name the car "Pegasus" (they name all our cars). I'd like to have all known missing parts on hand before starting the dis-assembly portion of "Project Pegasus" (again the kids are very involved and do rule my life).

I thought I'd show my resent acquisitions and see if everyone can give me tips to restoring the parts back to new condition. A couple major concerns are the white lettering on battery cables and radiator hoses. Does anyone know how to re-stencil or stamp these? Or will I have to freehand paint/touch up? Also, surprised to see hose clamps are stapled to radiator hoses!!! Weird...

On the fan shroud, there are some hair line cracks at the edge of the tapered side of opening. Any thoughts on how to repair those or should I just keep an eye on them once on car? The shroud otherwise is in very nice shape.

Also, I'm struggling to determine if the alternator is correct for a 1984, 5.0L/5 spd manufactured in Dec. 1983.

Of course, if anyone looks at these pics and sees a part not originally installed on 1984 5.0L/5 spd with a production date in 12/83, please speak up. I'm still struggling to understand the parts numbers for these cars as this is my first 4 eye to restore. My previous projects were 64 Falcon and 69 Cougar. Those cars had parts galore available on them.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and advice.Name:  IMG_2175[1].jpg
Views: 201
Size:  62.0 KBName:  IMG_2174[1].jpg
Views: 200
Size:  71.8 KBName:  IMG_2176[1].jpg
Views: 201
Size:  61.1 KBName:  IMG_2180[1].jpg
Views: 199
Size:  228.2 KBName:  IMG_2181[1].jpg
Views: 198
Size:  124.2 KB

That's awesome buddy!!! Congrats on acquiring the parts!

Congrats!! great finds
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

That's a great score, especially those battery cables.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Terrific acquisitions. My general advice is to clean them real well then decide how happy you are
    (as opposed to good repro parts). It then becomes your call. But if I was judging your car I would be
    impressed with your effort in finding and using original hoses and cables.

Maybe someone else can chime in relative to the E2 parts but I suspect they are fine.

This is good stuff!!! Keep the info/pics coming.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I believe that the alternator in my 84.5 is original and it appears to have the same markings as yours, so I think you're OK there.

I don't know anything about MCA judging, but regarding paint markings and such, I'd much rather see clean, faded markings than something that is so bright and perfect (or hokey!) that it was obviously touched up. The markings on your hoses and cables look great to me ... why risk that original look to try and make it "perfect"? Just be very careful when cleaning parts and use the lightest touch (and chemicals) possible during cleaning. Get to know guys like Bob (roush235) well ... they can be a big help in preparing your car if you plan to enter it in national shows.

Last edited by Saturn V; 01-04-2015 at 11:51 PM.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

great find, I would reused the cable, and coolant hose clamp, alternator ( get it test ), coolant hose, with that age, im not sure about reusing them, but those hose clamp definally reused. anyway great find, it be great to find original part.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

The lettering on the battery cables was never really a "white" white. There always seems to be some translucency to the letters. I have some NOS battery cables (not the 14300 cable though) where the lettering looks the same as on the ones here.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Do you plan to drive this car a lot, or mostly cruising to shows? My only concern would be rolling with used OEM rad hoses. I have removed mine and stored them for safe keeping....just don't like the idea of cruising a few hundred miles each summer with 30+ yr old hoses that are known to blow out without much notice. One thing I did to my replacement Motorcraft upper hose to help it look more OEM is cut off the cheapy heat wrap that goes around it at the altnernator...and cut off the original...and slip it on and lightly glue it in place. Also I removed the staples from the OEM and reused the OEM clamps on the new hose. Judges like Bob may or may not catch it...but then again if I was overly concerned with MCA points I could easily put the originals back on with minimal show prep.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 01-05-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Thanks Fidel, foxylady, Mike, Sinister and tbirdman, I appreciate the support!

Bob, I appreciate the judge's perspective and will just clean everything up as well as possible and be satisfied, for now! Parts are only original once and best not to mess with them unless absolutely necessary. I've added a few close ups of the fan shroud showing hairline cracks, as well as the finish and part number. I'll have to find a replacement decal for shroud but that can be reproduced.

I've also ordered a CD of the 1980-1989 Ford parts number catalog. It was pretty cheap, $24.95 plus shipping.

Saturn V, great pics! Numbers on your alternator match mine so feel pretty good that I found the right one. I plan to have it rebuilt before installing on car to make sure it's function properly. Thank you!

Jason, I agree. My plans are to only install the radiator hoses for judging. With their age I don't even want to run hot coolant for fear of parts failure! I would be devastated to ruin these parts!!!

I again thank you all for the input and support, enjoy these pics of the shroud.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Was there a decal on the shroud? I don't remember one on my 84.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Nice find!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Was there a decal on the shroud? I don't remember one on my 84.
    Jim Austin's uber original 84 GT convertible shows one on driver's side of shroud.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FYI. If anyone is not familiar with Jimmy Austin's car, it has 1850 miles. He is the original owner. It is a regular at MCA shows and is a terrific template.

Interesting story Jimmy recently related. I don't know the reason why, but he recently had to remove one of the TRX's. He noted this was the first time a lug wrench had been on a lug nut since the assembly line worker installed them.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    Interesting story Jimmy recently related. I don't know the reason why, but he recently had to remove one of the TRX's. He noted this was the first time a lug wrench had been on a lug nut since the assembly line worker installed them.
    That is simply amazing....insane, but amazing!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

That looks like the belt routing decal. Mine was put on the core support at the factory.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

My '85 did not have one on the Radiator shroud. This picture was taken in December of 1984, the day I brought it home from the dealership.
    Dave

1FABP28M4FF114537 bought 12/84 sold 1992
    1MEBP79M8FF613099 bought 9/13 sold 10/19
    1FABP28M4FF166315 bought 3/12 sold 5/21

1FABP28T7FF239068 bought 10/14
    1FABP28T9GF181465 bought 10/14

Well... sounds like we have one of those "gray" areas in production. I went back and looked at the shroud I bought. I don't see any signs of the decal ever being on it. There's no adhesive residue, fading around the area and no scuffing to show where decal may have been placed. The shroud came off a low mileage 5.0 that the owner was turning into a race car. Doubt he peeled decal and cleaned up the shroud.

Thanks for posting the picture Dave, it's always cool to see original pics! I drool every time I see a car with the original BX-63 battery.

Mine wasn't installed near as neatly as the one on that 85 either! It was extremely crooked.

Here is a picture I found of mine and where that decal is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Here is a picture I found of mine and where that decal is located.

spray down some silicone or grease to that poor dry out lock.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Love the pics everyone. The more pictures we have of original equipment the better we can preserve our beloved four eyed fox bodies! Is there a place on the site we can compile the images, specifically factory original, as a reference source?

not bad for a car that shows it's had 8 owner & went through an auction...

Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Congratulations on the parts score.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast