Close

Default 86 GT - Throttle Body

I am trying to get a handle on the the 85 GT motor. I have an 85 convertible.

It has a a carb with two snorkels, the air cleaner cover reads EFI and it has a throttle body.

Being that I am very green when i comes to motors. EFI and carb on the same motor does not register with me. Can someone explain to me how this works and where do find a new throttle body for it. LMR and AM do not seem to carry it.

Thanks,
    Kenn.

Ford used a Central Fuel Injection (CFI) system on their 85 automatic cars. The injection is also know as throttle body injection and looks somewhat like a carburetor. There are two injectors mounted in the throttle body which has throttle plates just like a carb. In fact, the bolt pattern of the throttle body is the same as a 2150 carburetor. The air cleaner used with these does look like a carbed air cleaner.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Dave,
    Thanks that clears it up a great deal. The next question is: Can the throttle body be rebuilt? If so, do you know of a place online that does it? And, where can I geta new one online? It appears not to be an easy find.

Thanks,

Kenn.

The injectors can be purchased from a parts store. I would assume they could also be rebuilt. I have never personally owned a car with CFI and have just about exhausted my knowledge of it. Jeff Cook (JACook) has much more knowledge on CFI than I and may be able to answer some of your questions.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Than you, sir, for the information and lead.

(1985 Mustang GT intake, carb, EGR and heat shield (very nice condition) $150.00)
    I have a 1985 Mustang GT. Underneath the air cleaner cover I have what sort of looks like a carburetor. However, the Air filter covers says 5.0 Liter EFI HO. Which mean fuel injection and throttle body to me. I have attached pics of both. My mechanic says I need to replace the "carburetor".

What is recommended since I would like to remain as "stock" as possible?

Here is an exact match to my air cleaner cover:
    http://www.flemworld.com/85/images/cfi.jpg
    Here is an exact match to what is under the cover: http://www.flemworld.com/85/images/cfi2.jpg

Thanks for your time.
    Frivlus/Kenn.

FEP Power Member

Depending on the version, the injectors can be hard to find. They can be send out and rebuilt. Napa makes a carb. rebuild kit that includes everything except the injectors. It includes all the gaskets along with instructions.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles