Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 86 gt maf conversion kits

I have an 86 mustang gt 5l 5 speed and I want to convert it to maf for future mods (intake heads cam exhaust) I don't know much about ecu wiring/pin moving and such and was wondering if there were any complete plug and play kits out there I could swap my entire wiring harness for one that has a maf, I know this would be a more expensive way of doing things but easier for me

You're actually almost better off learning the wiring and soldering skills required honestly. While there's some debate still about which truly is a 'plug n' play' harness due to the slight running changes seen over the years and the differences from each model year's harnesses when it comes to whether it's from an auto or manual trans donor car, it is generally accepted that an entire engine harness from an '89 V8 manual car is the most direct route to obtaining mass air in our cars. Regardless of how you choose to go, there are still some other things to consider, such as if your car has factory cruise, because if yours did not the mass air EEC4, regardless of the one you choose to use, if going to expect certain signals that will not be present otherwise with just a pop and swap of the engine harness; such as the two VSS and one FPM signals. While not absolutely necessary, these signals for some seem to be needed to avoid sudden stalling or other drivability issues, while others report no such problems. Either way, if your car has to be smogged in your local area and you choose not to do all the work necessary to do the MAF conversion the right way, i.e., connecting all the proper signals to the EEC4, repin as necessary, etc; you will find it likely you will not pass emissions.

For the future, doing a search helps wonders and there's a treasure trove of good gouge from those preceding you with pictures, and very detailed instructions.

Here is a thread I started awhile ago and it's another route to consider. It was a conversion adapter Ford Motorsport made back in the day. Works great with an A9L, but you still have to repin and still splice in the VSS and FPM signals:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Conv-Harness-s

So really to do this right you need to do the following:

- Orange/yellow and green/white for VSS
    - Pink/black for fuel pump relay under drivers seat

Since presumably you still have your smog stuff intact, you have to move those wires as they are on different locations on the A9L/A9P mass air EEC4's. Move the wire that is currently at pin 51 to pin 38, and move the wire that is in pin 11 over to pin 32. This can all be done with simply soldering and splicing techniques. I would highly recommend that if you choose to move these wires via splicing Do Not use any kind of crimping type splice, use a solder splice instead because connectivity and overall longevity of the connections cannot be overstated here.

Here is a nicely detailed, and color coded wiring diagram of a mass air car:
    http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng_diagram.gif
    http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...m-1-gif.79235/

So basically you are adding the 4 wires from the MAF meter AND:
    - Two from the VSS (if you have factory cruise)
    - One from fuel pump relay
    - Relocating two existing ones for the smog equipment.

About half way down Page 6 is a good illustration of what's going on with the MAF conversion danco86 did:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...restomod/page6

Kudos again to danco86. He helped me get the EEC pins necessary to do it how he did as well!
    Last edited by 86GTdriver; 12-30-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

Short answer: not really.
    There was a ford Motorsports kit offered that had an extender block with the mass air sensor harness and plug wired to it, that you just plugged inbetween your ecu and existing harness. I actually have one in my '86. There are a few floating around out there. However, the mass air ecu's (A9l,A9P, etc.) have inputs for a few other things that are not included in that adapter. Without them, the car was prone to running/stalking issues. Do even with the adapter, you still need to tap into your fuel pump relay circuit, speed sensor circuit, and swap a couple wires from your thermactor circuit.
    This is a topic that has been covered extensively on many sites, & really is not that bad once you take the time to research it. Way easier and less time consuming than swapping entire harnesses. My build thread shows how to do it with the adapter block. The mass air meter is just 4 more wires without the adapter. Once you research it, you'll find it really isn't all that bad. Lots of help on here if you have any more q's about it too!
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

Basically what 86gtdriver said. I just type slower....
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Thanks for the info I looked into the ford Motorsport maf connector but I can't seem to find any info on it besides that thread do you know the part number by anychance?

The part # of the adapter:

Last edited by danco86; 12-30-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Great info guys.
    So what would happen if I just install the FMS kit without adding :
    - Two from the VSS (if you have factory cruise)

I'm assuming I don't need to re-pin the - Orange/yellow and green/white for VSS as my 86 Doesn't have Cruise control?

I'm due for a Smog this month so I'm going to wait to do this Mod right the first time to avoid any running issues.
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

If you don't add those wires, you may or may not have issues. Some guys have had no issues by only adding the kit, but obviously, more have had issues, hence the popularity of this topic. All you would need to do is buy a VSS and bolt it to your transmission, and run the wires. The A9 ecu's have the 2 inputs for the vss to regulate the idle when decellerating to a stop etc. so will be looking for those signals. Without them you may experience stalling issues. Did '89+ 5.0's come with cruise as a standard feature? I've never seen one without, but I've never thought about it until now.. I personally think the amount of mods on your engine would have to do with whether you can do without them or not. FMS didn't seem to think it was an issue, but without them, you will throw codes at the very least. I assume you are putting the maf into your saleen which is mostly stock?
    Last edited by danco86; 12-30-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    If you don't add those wires, you may or may not have issues. Some guys have had no issues by only adding the kit, but obviously, more have had issues, hence the popularity of this topic. All you would need to do is buy a VSS and bolt it to your transmission, and run the wires.
    If you add a VSS to the T5, you also have to change out your speedometer cable with one that is designed for the w/ Cruise option, as the ends at the transmission are different when the VSS is down there.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

So if I get that fms plug I only have to re pin the vss and fpm2 ? What do I then do with my old SD wires? Cut them or leave them in the harness just unplug them and move them so where out of the way, thanks for the help to btw

The plug in harness is the same 60 pin connector. All the other wires are still used. You are just adding those wires to spots on the connector that are presently empty. You don't cut anything out that is already there. You do have to move a couple wires for your smog equipment to different spots on the connector if you are still running your emissions stuff.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Ohk so I'm going to try and get one of those fms adapters, just to be clear what exactly do I have to do with the other wires I don't plan on keeping my smog stuff as my car doesn't need an e test where I live, I just want to make sure I fully understand what I'm doing before I go out and buy the parts

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    If you don't add those wires, you may or may not have issues. Some guys have had no issues by only adding the kit, but obviously, more have had issues, hence the popularity of this topic. All you would need to do is buy a VSS and bolt it to your transmission, and run the wires. The A9 ecu's have the 2 inputs for the vss to regulate the idle when decellerating to a stop etc. so will be looking for those signals. Without them you may experience stalling issues. Did '89+ 5.0's come with cruise as a standard feature? I've never seen one without, but I've never thought about it until now.. I personally think the amount of mods on your engine would have to do with whether you can do without them or not. FMS didn't seem to think it was an issue, but without them, you will throw codes at the very least. I assume you are putting the maf into your saleen which is mostly stock?
    Yes I'm planning on doing the MAF upgrade using the FMS kit on my stock Saleen (besides FMS headers).
    Can you describe the deceleration issue?
    I'm having one now with the SD set up. When i slow down in gear, the car seems to buck.
    So just to confirm, a VSS is needed even if the vehicle does not come with factory cruise control?
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

From what I've read, yes. But if it won't inconvenience you to try without it, by all means. Idle and running issues are a huge topic after mods and such. They dominate most forums. My car has an issue that has gotten progressively worse over the summer. Idles perfect, throttle response great, but stalls on sudden rpm drops. After hours of searching, I've realized all I need is a tune. But needed to make sure all else was checked first.
    Last edited by danco86; 12-30-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Here is a good thread on fox surging and stalling issues and possibles cures on another forum. It is very comprehensive and is added to regularly. Worth the read.
    http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...cklist.698148/
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Quote Originally Posted by sleekpolecat View Post
    Ohk so I'm going to try and get one of those fms adapters, just to be clear what exactly do I have to do with the other wires I don't plan on keeping my smog stuff as my car doesn't need an e test where I live, I just want to make sure I fully understand what I'm doing before I go out and buy the parts
    Read the page on my thread that 86gtdriver linked you to. Do a google search on fox MAF conversions. There are tons of threads on this and other forums, as well as magazine articles too. Immerse yourself. It'll seem easy once you've read through the procedure a few times. Be sure to ask, should you still have questions.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

I've given the MAF conversion issue considerable thought. For the record, mine is an 86 GT vert, T-5. I've already purchased the A9L (seal in tact), a factory MAF, intake tubing and tower mount (all in very good shape but the MAF is untested); conversion harness and plug (new pieces). I also purchased an LMAF and filter adaptor (used) and related conversion plug (new) for when I run the 347. Right now, I have roughly $400 in all these parts. There is still the issue of tuning the 347 so my initial thought was to buy a Quarter-horse and related tuning software. Roughly, another $300. So about $700 with the LMAF; $600 with the stock stuff.

So I started looking to the stand-alone alternatives - in particular the MegaSquirt PNP2. Without a discount, this unit comes in just over $800 and is nearly ready to go with a simple install. It's not uncommon for discounts to be offered and/or find a used one for sale. There is also the PiMP from Stinger at about $700. Compared to the well known learning curve for the Quarter-horse, spending a little extra money for a stand-alone with nearly limitless options, an initial start tune and the ability to self-tune on the fly, seems to be a no brainier.

Moreover, both the MS and PiMP don't require a MAF so when other upgrades come along, MAF sizing will not be an issue. The only down-side I see is the initial cost; $700/$800 at once rather than smaller purchases over time to obtain all of the MAF conversion pieces. But here's the rub. Despite all of our best efforts, those used pieces may not work at all, or worse, may work with flaws that cause gremlin chasing for who knows how long.

I've decided that for me, the MS or PiMP is the way to go. Just waiting for a discount to come along.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I've given the MAF conversion issue considerable thought. For the record, mine is an 86 GT vert, T-5. I've already purchased the A9L (seal in tact), a factory MAF, intake tubing and tower mount (all in very good shape but the MAF is untested); conversion harness and plug (new pieces). I also purchased an LMAF and filter adaptor (used) and related conversion plug (new) for when I run the 347. Right now, I have roughly $400 in all these parts. There is still the issue of tuning the 347 so my initial thought was to buy a Quarter-horse and related tuning software. Roughly, another $300. So about $700 with the LMAF; $600 with the stock stuff.

So I started looking to the stand-alone alternatives - in particular the MegaSquirt PNP2. Without a discount, this unit comes in just over $800 and is nearly ready to go with a simple install. It's not uncommon for discounts to be offered and/or find a used one for sale. There is also the PiMP from Stinger at about $700. Compared to the well known learning curve for the Quarter-horse, spending a little extra money for a stand-alone with nearly limitless options, an initial start tune and the ability to self-tune on the fly, seems to be a no brainier.

Moreover, both the MS and PiMP don't require a MAF so when other upgrades come along, MAF sizing will not be an issue. The only down-side I see is the initial cost; $700/$800 at once rather than smaller purchases over time to obtain all of the MAF conversion pieces. But here's the rub. Despite all of our best efforts, those used pieces may not work at all, or worse, may work with flaws that cause gremlin chasing for who knows how long.

I've decided that for me, the MS or PiMP is the way to go. Just waiting for a discount to come along.
    Damn you! I've been looking at doing the same for an engine rebuild, even a reman A9l is pricey ($220'ish), need a meter for bigger injectors ($210-250) and the harness and you're looking at spending that $400-500 pretty quick. The benefits/flexibility of a Megasquirt is very compelling, get one of the DIY kits and it costs basically the same as the MAF conversion, the Plug in play setup is a bit of a step up, but still, you can do so much more with it..... damn you!

If you see any deals, let me know.

Pardon my dumb question... LMAF is what?
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
    Pardon my dumb question... LMAF is what?
    Laugh My A$$ Off......I got teenagers...

LMAF in this case = Lightning MAF, they come quite a bit bigger than the Mustang MAF units (90mm vs say a 75-80mm).

Ah, I assumed but was not sure.

There is a A9P with a Moats QH chip for sale here on Colorado Craigslist for $250.

I used a MAF out of an 05 Mustang, way better MAF, cleaner signal.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Quote Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
    Ah, I assumed but was not sure.

There is a A9P with a Moats QH chip for sale here on Colorado Craigslist for $250.

I used a MAF out of an 05 Mustang, way better MAF, cleaner signal.
    How is the moats?

I love mine, had it for quite a few years now. I use it with Binary Editor. Even being a SCT dealer I still prefer QH and BE for pre 96 tuning. You just need some tuning knowledge to use it.

250 is an ok cost, essentially the cost of the QH chip, but it comes with a PCM. You could probably bring him down a little.
    Last edited by Mikestang; 01-04-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Would it be worth it with my current set up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast